Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Upgrade of windows with files and programmes in place

When upgrading vista home premium to the windows 7 equivalent, 32bit to 32bit, when it says on the web that it leaves your programmes and settings in place (an in place upgrade), what does this mean.

Does this mean there is a folder that shows up somewhere with a backup of everything?

or

Does it mean that once the upgrade is complete, that all programmes are in place and installed, ready to use?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote: »
    Does it mean that once the upgrade is complete, that all programmes are in place and installed, ready to use?

means the latter.
    I installed 7 on top of vista. everything was kept exactly the same. However it will only work with Vista and only if your PC meets the criteria. Otherwise you need to do a clean install.

Wise choice upgrading though, 7 kicks ass. I've had it 3 months and it hasn't crashed, unlike MacOs at college.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It might be more convenient to upgrade, but to be honest I'd much rather get backups of my files, make a clean installation and later reinstall everything. It's much more "work" but it makes for a more stable system.
  • Options
    Thing is I had a look at the windows backup options and it seems it wouldnt want to back up anything executable or program files :(
  • Options
    Thing is I had a look at the windows backup options and it seems it wouldnt want to back up anything executable or program files :(

Getting rid of your programs is the reason why people want a clean install. Computers often start running slowly because of the crap installed on them. If you've got your programs on disc, why would you not want to do a clean install, you can always reinstall the stuff. Or do you have lots of naughty programs that didn't come with a disc ;)
  • Options
    I dont have that much installed actually, but to an extent yes. Though its one or two programmes that I prefer the older versions to the newer ones.
  • Options
    I dont have that much installed actually, but to an extent yes. Though its one or two programmes that I prefer the older versions to the newer ones.

I do hear what you're saying, sometimes it is difficult to decide to get rid of stuff. Regardless of what you'll do you'll notice performance improvements with Windows 7, although the fact that you've only got 20Gb left of a 250Gb drive means any improvements are going to be negligible.
    Going on from your thread about hard drives, I'd suggest getting rid of as much as possible from the main drive, and putting it on the external one. Maybe not programmes, but definitely music e.t.c.
    I'd also consider doing a purge of software and seeing what you really need and what you can do without.

I did it, I wiped about 100Gb from my system and the difference in speed and reliability was really noticable. Everything else now gets installed on the 1Tb drive, leaving Windows the run of the drive that came with the computer.