Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My homework (PLEAE HELP!!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right, we have to write an interview with a catholic priest from the tudor times... You have to write about all the religous changes ect. but from the views of the priest. I am a little bit stuck because I missed a few lessons was wondering if I could have your opions please. I am only half way through, and it is due in tomorrow.
Thanks.
Xx

Interviewer: Welcome, Theodore, I understand you are a catholic priest?
Theodore: Indeed I am.
I: well, our current monarch is James the first. But, what did you make of the Tudors?
T: a very... odd family. I am glad to see somebody else on the throne.
I: Let’s start with Henry the eighth- what did you make of him and his religious views?
T: at the start of his reign the future looked bright. But then he wanted a divorce from his first wife, Catharine of Aragon I think it was. Of course, the pope could not possible allow this in fear of angering other catholic leaders. So Henry, the stubborn man he was, made himself head of the church in England. Selfish if you ask me, defiantly not a true catholic. I know I won’t be seeing him in Heaven. Anyway, that was the point we all knew would change religion in this country. Then in 1536 he began to close down monasteries and use the money he gained for his personal greed. That’s what really did it for me! How dare he think it okay to do such a thing?! Despicable.
I: So, you say Henry started off well?
T: certainly, he was a catholic. At least that is what we thought. But no true catholic would take power away from the pope.
I: As I understand, there was a rebel from Catholics at that time. Care to elaborate on this?
T: Oh, yes. The pilgrimage of grace. October 1536, thousands of Catholics had had enough of Henry’s views on religion. Robert Aske was a good friend of mine, he lead the protests. He did a good job, there was little violence. You see, all the Catholics wanted was for Henry to change his ways. Aske wrote the 24 article, a list of things the pilgrims believed should be changed about the way Henry ran the country. It looked promising, Henry seemed as though he was starting to listen he had even promised a pardon for all the participants. Then, he turned. Then he arrested some of the pilgrims, took them to court and found them guilty of treason, a conviction punishable by death. Innocent people, killed because of Henrys’ ridiculous religious views. Even Robert Aske was hung in Yorkshire, in front of his friends. Henry ruled for several more years, nothing changed. Well, he closed down more monarstries. It was awful, and to be honest the things he did are inexcusable- even by god himself.
I: So, when Henry died, his son Edward came into power. What did you think of him?
T: Goodness, he was even worse than his father. Maybe, if had lived longer, Edward would of seen that Protestantism was- and still is- ludicrous. He came into power aged only 9, and the country was mainly ruled by his advisors. They decided on bringing in an English prayer book, and then they abolished catholic mass. How can you possibly believe that you’ll get into heaven if you disregard the wishes of god? Priests could get married, and it was by far the worst years I have lived through.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Looks good! I remember doing a lot on the Dissolution of the Monasteries because it marked a big social change in the country - monasteries previously would provide a lot of services to the local area like hospitals, education, etc.

but reading through it, it just reminds me of how much i have forgotten lol.
  • Options
    Thanks shyboy. I didn't think this homework would take so long! But it's taking forever :-( I will get it down though... probaly. Haha x
    Xx
  • Options
    It looks like you're making good progress on it to be honest :) I'm sure you can have it finished in an hour or two!
  • Options
    I AM NNNNNOOOOTTTTT SPENDING AN HOUR LONGER ON THIS. lol! I have eerrrmmm made some progress, I'll post it when I finally finish haha! I doubt anyone will read it, it is 3 pages long now. Far too boring for people :-p Even my history teacher hates reading our work.
    Xx
  • Options
    Pfft! your fine get on with it! ;)
  • Options
    FFFIIINNNNIIISSSSHHHHEEEDDDD
    Interviewer: Welcome, Theodore, I understand you are a catholic priest?
    Theodore: Indeed I am.
    I: well, our current monarch is James the first. But, what did you make of the Tudors?
    T: a very... odd family. I am glad to see somebody else on the throne.
    I: Let’s start with Henry the eighth- what did you make of him and his religious views?
    T: At the start of his reign the future looked bright. But then he wanted a divorce from his first wife, Catharine of Aragon I think it was. Of course, the pope could not possible allow this in fear of angering other catholic leaders. So Henry, the stubborn man he was, made himself head of the church in England. Selfish if you ask me, defiantly not a true catholic. I know I won’t be seeing him in Heaven. Anyway, that was the point we all knew would change religion in this country. Then in 1536 he began to close down monasteries and use the money he gained for his personal greed. That’s what really did it for me! How dare he think it okay to do such a thing?! Despicable.
    I: So, you say Henry started off well?
    T: certainly, he was a catholic. At least that is what we thought. But no true catholic would take power away from the pope.
    I: As I understand, there was a rebel from Catholics at that time. Care to elaborate on this?
    T: Oh, yes. The pilgrimage of grace. October 1536, thousands of Catholics had had enough of Henry’s views on religion. Robert Aske was a good friend of mine, he lead the protests. He did a good job, there was little violence. You see, all the Catholics wanted was for Henry to change his ways. Aske wrote the 24 article, a list of things the pilgrims believed should be changed about the way Henry ran the country. It looked promising, Henry seemed as though he was starting to listen he had even promised a pardon for all the participants. Then, he turned. Then he arrested some of the pilgrims, took them to court and found them guilty of treason, a conviction punishable by death. Innocent people, killed because of Henrys’ ridiculous religious views. Even Robert Aske was hung in Yorkshire, in front of his friends. Henry ruled for several more years, nothing changed. Well, he closed down more monarstries. It was awful, and to be honest the things he did are inexcusable- even by god himself.
    I: So, when Henry died, his son Edward came into power. What did you think of him?
    T: Goodness, he was even worse than his father. Maybe, if had lived longer, Edward would of seen that Protestantism was- and still is- ludicrous. He came into power aged only 9, and the country was mainly ruled by his advisors. They decided on bringing in an English prayer book, and then they abolished catholic mass. How can you possibly believe that you’ll get into heaven if you disregard the wishes of god? Priests could get married, and it was by far the worst years I have lived through.
    I: How long did this last?
    T: Edward died young, around the age of 15 I think. He didn’t even have a chance to understand the wrong he was doing, in terms of religion. Still, at the age of 15 I’m sure he could of chosen his own religious path if he hadn’t of been so badly influenced by unintelligible advisors. He was only a child, but the changes that happened during his reign were unpardonable, and absolutely ghastly. No sane man can believe that getting rid of decorations, allowing priest to marry, abolishing catholic mass, wearing simple clothes and not celebrating religious festivals is the way of the Lord.
    I: Edward did all of those things?
    T: Yes, he most certainly did. That’s Protestantism for you, completely absurd.
    I: Who came onto the throne after Edward?
    T: His sister, Mary.
    I: What were her religious views?
    T: Mary was by far the best monarch I can remember, a devoted catholic she was. Thankfully, she brought the pope back as the head of the English church, and burned some of those outrageous Protestants. She changed all the laws back, so church services were in Latin once more, and all the churches were re-decorated. Everything was how it should be, and this country was great again. That is when I became a priest you know, during Mary’s reign. Fabulous women, such a shame she didn’t have children to raise as Catholic.
    I: Mary didn’t have children then?
    T: Unfortunately not, no.
    I: After Mary died, Elizabeth became queen. Am I correct?
    T: Yes, you are.
    I: And, what did you make of her?
    T: Elizabeth didn’t have a true religion, but I think she did waver more towards the protestant side. She did allow us to have some minimal decoration in churches, but she was not anywhere near as superb as Mary. She killed many Catholics, but in fairness she killed Protestants too. I still would have much preferred another Catholic leader; Mary really did have the right idea.
    I: Overall, what did you make of the monarchs from Henry the eighth through to Elizabeth the first?
    T: I think there were many people who would have done better at ruling this country. I did think Mary was a good queen though, but the others weren’t who I would have liked. They were all raised so differently as children, but that is no excuse for some of their warped religious ways.
    I: Theodore the priest, thank you very much for your time.

Xx
  • Options
    good work :)
  • Options
    Hehe cheers :-p

I taught history today... it was ssooo funny. I was late, and then kept talking, and my teacher said "would you like to teach this lesson?" and I went "Yea, sounds fun" and I did. It was great. My history teacher is amazing though, he had a hangover the other day and refused to teach us because we were too load. Lol
    Xx
  • Options
    Lol that sounds fantastic :P I don't think I would have ever had the confidence to get up in front of my class, instead I would have just ducked and mumbled something about being sorry about being late and hid from the rest of the classes attention :p good on you hehe!
  • Options
    Teachers always say it, and when you say yes they just go "oh." It is funny :-p Awww poor teachers, we always take the piss out of them.
    Xx
  • Options
    Id have cried if I had to do homework like that :P

Good work though.
  • Options
    Well done that work looked good!
    Reminded me too why I gave up history at the earliest possible point... lol