Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Decent Food in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, we're going to London for three weeks over Christmas and New Year. This is the first time i'm going to have to cook, shop and feed a family abroad and i have no clue where to start.

We have a tesco/sainsbury's local around the corner, which is ok for a week when i'm alone but i feel like i need a proper butcher/greengrocer/supermarket for such a long stay (especially with the babies).

So my question, our apartment is dead central in the Marble Arch area. Where can i find good quality fruit, vegetables, meat and a good sized supermarket?

Comments

• Options
    come on people, 62 views and no answers...?
  • Options
    http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1161/20968.php i found this link, it might be useful?
  • Options
    It's a bit central for me to be able to tell you exactly what you'll find in the area Amira, but one thing about London is that you're never very far away from good quality food.

The easiest way to find a major supermarket is probably through the store finders on the websites of major supermarkets. Here's a few of the supermarkets close to Marble Arch -

Sainsbury's

Co/op Somerfield

Waitrose - though that's doing something wierd - you're actually much closer to the number 5 where the map says 'Marble Arch'

And the Tesco store locator - use the postcode W1C for Marble Arch

On the more expensive side of things you're just a quick taxi or bus ride away from shops like Harrods, which have huge food halls filled with just about everything you can imagine.

Another thing you might want to consider is ordering online. All the major supermarkets have online delivery and they run it like a tight ship. You've got Sainsbury's, Tesco offering standard supermarket stuff and Waitrose which is a little classier.

One thing you might want to consider - you pick the time of the delivery so if it's possible to order and you know the address you could order a delivery for the morning after you arrive (I'm figuring you might not want to risk missing a delivery is flights were a problem).

That would give you one night to find stuff, then hey, presto! a massive food order turns up the next day. There are also smaller veg box and butcher deliveries available but worth doing a search for them to see what you can find.

Hope that helps, have a great visit :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, i was going to do an online shop the night before i travel but only for cereals, a few non perishables, baby milk and nappies. I could also order some fruit and veg (im fussy about what i pick).

But, the main problem for me is the meat. Everytime im in England i find the meat tastes awful and i only just realised maybe its british meat as opposed to the new zealand/american angus stuff im used to. Which is why im so adamant to find a specialty butcher (or at least one who has a large variety of imported meats). I'm a bit of a foodie when it comes to meat, sorry.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    London is all about the markets for quality food if you've got a decent budget.

Borough for fruit and veg and actually probably meat too (I'm more into fish and veg :p)

and

Smithfields for meat. It's where lots of the quality restaurants in the city source their meat.

:thumb:
  • Options
    i :heart: you helen! I will definitely be making a trip to them! But somehow i doubt the boy will enjoy going to a meat market :p
  • Options
    Hi Amara,

This place looks good - highly recommended by Delia and does home delivery if you can't make it to the shop itself, although it's near Marble Arch...

http://www.allensofmayfair.co.uk/
  • Options
    Borough market is definatly a good place for all sorts, like someone else had posted.
  • Options
    anna342 wrote: »
    Borough market is definatly a good place for all sorts, like someone else had posted.

Its good for a night on the lash also.

Cant you just go to Waitrose along Oxford St like normal people? :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Its good for a night on the lash also.

Cant you just go to Waitrose along Oxford St like normal people? :p
    No, british meat is horrible! :( It's a shame really!
  • Options
    The Borough is awesome, but expensive, I don't know that side of town to be honest, I'd ask locally and if you have time get away from the Tescos etc., there will be local shops for local people. Some of the cheapest fruit and veg available is in soho in the street markets.

The Borough Markets though, are not really fruit and veg anymore, it's a European (influenced) gourmet food market. Awesome.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Right, we're going to London for three weeks over Christmas and New Year. This is the first time i'm going to have to cook, shop and feed a family abroad and i have no clue where to start.

We have a tesco/sainsbury's local around the corner, which is ok for a week when i'm alone but i feel like i need a proper butcher/greengrocer/supermarket for such a long stay (especially with the babies).

So my question, our apartment is dead central in the Marble Arch area. Where can i find good quality fruit, vegetables, meat and a good sized supermarket?

BTW, I've jsut seen where you live. Walk up the Edgware Road and explore the Lebonese places, some are good, a few are terrific - they will have good Lamb butchers (halal) in the area.