Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hard To Cope

(not sure if this is better here or in relationships but hey ho)
My other half suffers from bouts of depression. but recently its been every two or three days that he gets really bad. Hes so down, cant see a point in anything, hates life etc etc. Im finding it hard to cope as it breaks my heart to hear what hes saying. We have been through a lot together and I just want to do all I can. does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can help him but also help myself?

Any suggestions will be extremely welcome

xx
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    (not sure if this is better here or in relationships but hey ho)
    My other half suffers from bouts of depression. but recently its been every two or three days that he gets really bad. Hes so down, cant see a point in anything, hates life etc etc. Im finding it hard to cope as it breaks my heart to hear what hes saying. We have been through a lot together and I just want to do all I can. does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can help him but also help myself?

Any suggestions will be extremely welcome

xx

I totally sympathise!
    Has he been to the doctor? Is he on any medication? Getting any councilling?

Only thing i would say it try not to take it personally, and YOU can't CURE him.
    You need to make a decision on whether it's worth it to stick it out. If he doesn't do things to try and take care of the problem you will only become depressed yourself.

Have him go see a therapist, take vitamins, and exercise.
    From having heard from a family member and neighbour, seeing a doctor or writing everything down on paper is two of the best ideas. Keep us posted on how he's getting on. Hope everything improves with time. :) x
    i really feel for you. its horrible when someone you love so much has such a bleak outlook on life. and what others said is right, dont take it personally. i know from experience that its no ones fault, its an illness, and all you can do is be there. growing up my mum suffered from depression, and i felt like i wasnt a good enough reason fro her to love life, to carry on, and to actually get out of bed in a morning. now im grown up i understand that she is ill, its not my fault. she is on medication now which controls her feelings a bot more, and makes her a little more stable.
    just keep your chin up, and definatly try and persuade him to go to the doctors so they can seek proffesional help xxx
    Thanks for all replies.

Think I hit rock bottom last night with only two hours sleep after another breakdown from him. But he seems to have picked up today so Im much happier now.

I cant make him go to the doctors etc because.. well its not my choice. It's got to be his.

I know I can't cure him. And I know I just need to be there for him, but when all I want to do is hold him and never let go, im not much use.

I will take up the idea of writing everything down. I also think he does this too.

Heres hoping we can enjoy a happy festive season :) x