Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tapeworm?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys sorry i've not been around lately but i've been really busy.

Anyway i know this is really gross and i'm sorry but i really need some advice.

I've been feeling a little off for the past couple of days with a stomach ache and been feeling rather queasy and have completely lost my apetite. I just figured i had a bug or something and that it would pass but this morning i went to the toilet (gross i know sorry) and on the loo roll there was this long thing on it. I figured it was a bean sprout or something from the chinese i had last night but i looked a little closer and it had these tiny little strands or something coming out from it. This is really embarrassing to talk about and i know it is totally disgusting but i have a feeling it might be tapeworm. That's why i've been feeling so ill lately.

What do you guys think??
And what actually is tapeworm and how bad is it??

Thanks.
x Andy

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm... from the little i know about tapeworm, the symptoms do involve nausea, and unexplained weight loss (so you are eating normally, but losing weight) The thing you found, it might be colon plaque? I saw this detox show where they gave the participants enemas, and a load of brown stringey stuff came out :/

If you are worried, maybe call NHS direct to put your mind at rest?
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    The thing you found, it might be colon plaque? I saw this detox show where they gave the participants enemas, and a load of brown stringey stuff came out :/

OK so what was that stuff? Sorry i just don't really know what it is. Is it like dangerous or anything?? Cos it was kinda stringy.
    And i can't really phone the helpline because i am partially deaf so phonecalls are very difficult for me.
    Thanks anyway i know it's really horrible :( x Andy
  • Options
    No, it was just all the dead skin and bacteria on the inside of the intestines/colon,so it wasn't anything bad.
  • Options
    But... I only saw it on the TV show, so for all i know they coulda made it up! hmmm... I think if you are worried, then maybe make a GPs appt
  • Options
    A tapeworm is a parasite that lives in your guts. You usually get it from eating pork that hasn't been thoroughly cooked.

Info here.

I don't think it's very common, but you never know. You best bet is nipping to the docs to see if they can shed any light!
  • Options
    Yeah i know i should probably get it checked out but i think i'll just leave it a while. If it happens again then i'll tell somebody but the doctor's isn't something i want to really consider.
    Thanks x Andy
  • Options
    Andy Pandy wrote: »
    the doctor's isn't something i want to really consider.

And a beastie living in your colon is? :p
  • Options
    i would go to the doctors asap and get an anti parasitic medication
  • Options
    Yeah ok i'll just wait and see how it goes and if it gets worse or anything then i will ask my mummy :p
    I'll wait and see what her opinion is because at the end of the day mum knows best lol
    x Andy
  • Options
    Stick sellotape between your ass cheeks before you go to bed, if you have worms in the morning there'll be little worms/eggs on it.

(A torture my mother used to inflict upon my sisters and I as children :S )
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    And a beastie living in your colon is? :p

agreed! i wouldn't like the thought of some sort of tapeworm living inside of me! I watch a tv programme once and if you still do decided to leave it im sure it naturally passes through, but that could take some weeks.....(but i watched this programme when i was in year 8? now im in year 13 so i could be wrong :p)
  • Options
    I dont think it would pass by itself, considering its main purpose is to lay eggs in your digestive system, some of which you may shit out, but some will almost definately just attach themselves to a different point in the system, eat your nutrients and the cycle continues

ETA: tapeworms aren't particular common in the western world anymore, but not unheard of, better to get it checked out. It wont do you any serious harm in this part of the world, but its not great for you.
  • Options
    Well i don't know what it is really. It might not be anything i might just be over-reacting.
    Will see how it goes but thanks guys x Andy
  • Options
    it sounds more like a roundworm tbh.
    have you got any pets

I would definitely definitely go to the doctor because you could pass it on.
    It would be very easily treated and the doctor isnt going to think anything bad of you.
    I know its one of those embarrassing illnesses that noone wants to admit to, but your doctor WILL have come across it before, probably many times. Its best just to get it sorted
  • Options
    Yeah i have a dog but she's been wormed and stuff.
    I know i should get it checked but it's gonna be so difficult.
    Do you know if it will like involve a physical examination? Because i really don't want a guy snooping around my behind :/
    Isn't it all blood tests and xrays? I hope!
    x Andy
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Stick sellotape between your ass cheeks before you go to bed, if you have worms in the morning there'll be little worms/eggs on it.

(A torture my mother used to inflict upon my sisters and I as children :S )
    This would be for thread worms/fibroids... I don't think it'd help with tapeworm.

Andy Pandy, have you or anyone else close to you been abroad recently?
  • Options
    Nope not that i know of.
    Why?
    x Andy
  • Options
    they wont look at your arse. They "MAY" ask for a stool sample, but most likely they will just take your word for it and give you medication.

I had threadworms once (oh the joys of having schoolage kids) and the doctors just gave me some stuff for me and the rest of the family to take.
    I was excruciatingly embarrassed, but the doctor didnt bat an eyelid. Seriously. They just want you better. Theyre not gonna pass judgement.
    You probably caught it from your dog