Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Execution of Gary Glitter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

just woundered if anyof you see this program on channel 4? i just finished watching it and think it shows why we as a country should bring back hanging, i just woundered what your views on this would be?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    According to Wiki, he is still alive, aged 65. I didn't know of any execution.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    According to Wiki, he is still alive, aged 65. I didn't know of any execution.
    Ah yes, Wikipedia. The place where Robbie Williams earns his millions eating pet hamsters. They have also claimed that David Beckham was a Chinese goalkeeper in the 18th century, and that Tony Blair's middle names include "Whoop De Doo". And so forth.

Even the thought of an odious bastard like Gary Glitter being executed doesn't persuade me that we should bring back the death penalty. The likes of Glitter should be punished harshly for his crimes - executing him would be an easy get-out for him. No, let him live the rest of his life knowing that most of the world hates his guts.
    It was a drama based on the idea of the UK having the death penalty and punishing people for crimes committed abroad Monserrat, that showed Gary Glitter being put on trial and executed.
    As far as I know, Gary Glitter has never done anything even the most ardent supporter of the death penalty (at least in the UK) argues should result in execution. In fact, since he committed his crimes in a country that does execute child rapists, and he's still alive, something tells me there wasn't the sort of evidence that the pro-death penalty mob insist would be required to sentence someone to death. We always hear about how the death penalty should be brought back for only the worst murderers, and the cases with overwhelming evidence to prove them.

But then again, maybe that's just the acceptable face of the pro-death penalty movement, and in reality, the whys and wherefores surrounding an alleged crime aren't a particular concern, when a sense of revenge and self-righteousness are at stakes? But maybe that depends on the individual?
    As far as I know, Gary Glitter has never done anything even the most ardent supporter of the death penalty (at least in the UK) argues should result in execution. In fact, since he committed his crimes in a country that does execute child rapists, and he's still alive, something tells me there wasn't the sort of evidence that the pro-death penalty mob insist would be required to sentence someone to death. We always hear about how the death penalty should be brought back for only the worst murderers, and the cases with overwhelming evidence to prove them.

He's still alive, less to do with the evidence, and more to do with the fact the country in question relished its diplomatic relationship with the UK more than putting to death one extra person. As the UK Govt doesn't support the death penalty it puts a lot of effort into saving those of its subjects who may be executed abroad.
    But then again, maybe that's just the acceptable face of the pro-death penalty movement, and in reality, the whys and wherefores surrounding an alleged crime aren't a particular concern, when a sense of revenge and self-righteousness are at stakes? But maybe that depends on the individual?

Then no consensus on what the death penalty should be for. I support it for treason and mutiny in time of war, others will support it for all crimes of violence, others for all murders, others for murders of children, mass murders, murder of police officers in the course of their duty, rape and murder or some of the above.
    I support it for treason and mutiny in time of war.

Why ?

(There is a provision for such eventualities within the Human Rights Act, as well you may know)
    ... others for murders of children ...

What age is that exactly? Hang someone for murdering a 10 year old - but not an 11 year old? How arbitrary. Either you hang someone for any murder or you don't do it at all.
    Teagan wrote: »
    What age is that exactly? Hang someone for murdering a 10 year old - but not an 11 year old? How arbitrary. Either you hang someone for any murder or you don't do it at all.

I'm saying that different people support different types of capital punishment. And yes the age would be the reason, whilst murder is aboherent most people would find the murder of children more so (though I assume most people who support capital punuishment for the murder of children would want it to be for 11 year olds as well)
    I'm saying that different people support different types of capital punishment. And yes the age would be the reason, whilst murder is aboherent most people would find the murder of children more so (though I assume most people who support capital punuishment for the murder of children would want it to be for 11 year olds as well)

Feck! I misread your previous post. :blush:
    I didn't realise that it was a hypothetical question. Soz.
    Territt wrote: »
    i just finished watching it and think it shows why we as a country should bring back hanging, i just woundered what your views on this would be?

My views? Well for a start I'm not sure how you got that impression, at all, from this awful TV show.

It didn't explore the rights or wrong of the death penalty. It didn't explore public feelings regarding paedophilia and the penal system's approach to this horrific crime.

The character of Glitter was portrayed in such a light that you could not possibly develop any kind of sympathy with him - hell they even wheeled out the ultra-tolerant [are you sure? - ed] Garry Bushell ... the wroters then pushed the stpryline along with such a pace, from a premise which was unrealistic (remember Death Penalty is outlawed by EU Human Rights law) towards the inevitable death of Glitter himself.

Using a living person was in pretty poor tate too if you ask me.

If anything, this programme only managed to show why some writers should stick wo being waiters.