Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can someone please explain modern TV for me?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Pretend that you are talking to someone who has time travelled from 1998 to 2009, skipping 11 years. That's where I am at the moment. I have kept up to date with computers, but I haven't had access to TV since I decided not to get one when I left home in 1998. Sure, I watch plenty of DVDs and VHS because I have a DVD player and VHS player on my computer. I have also watched Deal or No Deal on the Channel 4's "4oD" program.

Okay, so back in my days, there was channels 1, 2, 3 and 4. In 1995, there were talks of a new channel 5 coming out which started up in 1997. BBC had channels 1 and 2, ITV was channel 3, and channels 4 and 5 were simply named after their channel numbers.

Nowadays, I hear people talk about multiple BBC channels, multiple ITV channels, an E4 and obviously channel 4 is still going because of the 4oD program for the computer.

- What is the channel set-up for terrestrial TV?
- What is the channel set-up for digital TV?
- What do you get with Freeview?

If someone could answer those, that would be awesome. I'm not too bothered about satellite/cable because that constantly changes anyway and I was never brought up on that. I do remember that satellite/cable was normally tuned into channel 6 while VHS was tuned into channel 8.

Please no piss takes. I do really mean that I have skipped 11 years of TV.

Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't ask me, I've not has a TV for 15 years.
    Non digital TV still has just 5 channels. Digital TV has lots of channels, but you don't need to set them up manually, just get your digital box or TV to scan.
    Ah okay. Thanks Mist. I didn't realise that terrestrial TV has actually stayed the same. Is it still ceefax 100 for teletext index and ceefax 888 for subtitles? :-)
    888 should get you subtitles but increasly doesn't :(
    Terrestial television - BBC One and Two are relatively similar to what they have been. The Beeb also have BBC Three and Four available on all digital platforms. ITV's main channel has been known as ITV1 since August 2001. Although the channel has changed beyond all recognition - back in 1998, it used to be a network of regional companies, they've almost disappeared completely in England and Wales following their merger in 2004. ITV2 was launched in 1998, and ITV3 and 4 have been launched since. Channel 4 is still going strong, along digital channels E4 and More4, which usually carries their more highbrow programmes. Channel 5 has been known as Five since 2002 and they've also launched a string of digital-only channels - Five USA, for example.

Analogue transmissions are currently in the process of being switched off. Regrettably, the likes of Ceefax, Teletext and subtitling services on analogue services are also being wound down in the process. Once the signal in Northern Ireland is switched off in 2012, (the last UK region to go) the BBC's Ceefax will be closed. Teletext (on the ITV network and Channel 4) is closing down at the end of the year. To get subtitles on digital television, you normally have to switch the option on through the services menu. (though a lot of channels don't seem to provide them at all)