Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Need advice about weed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi my son is using weed and could also be dealing and I am worried about him...he got a place in university this Sept and has stopped going as he is not making friends there. Can any one give me some advice?:)

Comments

• Options
    Hey there. I just signed up to post on this thread specifically. I have a somewhat large knowledge when it comes to recreational drugs (and some pharmaceuticals too), more specifically psychedelics. Cannabis use is definitely not something you should worry about, it's far less harmful (and arguably actually quite beneficial for most people) than cigarettes or alcohol, and most prescription drugs. I'm guessing you're from the UK as you said he started university in September, in which case you've probably seen Cannabis portrayed in a lot of negative light in the media recently, but you should really stop worrying. You will most commonly hear about "skunk" and "schizophrenia risks", both of which are media ploys, as Skunk is just one of many strains of Cannabis out there and is no stronger than anything that was around 30 years ago (Though the people who sell the seeds are loving the media attention as it allows them to sell far more), and as far as the schizophrenia link went, there was a study that suggested that *after* having being diagnosed with schizophrenia people were more likely to self-medicate with Cannabis, recently studies have shown that while Cannabis use has gone up, schizophrenia has gone down.

I can't sum up all the benefits in one post as Cannabis is one of the few plants (and drugs) that has so many, however if you would like to send me a PM I'll answer any questions you have and I can also provide sources, studies, and research just so you don't have to put all your faith in just my words alone :)

I would on the other hand be a little worried about his dealing. The fact is if he left university he is probably dealing, and probably quite successfully, as the average dealer can make far more than most people in fairly high paid jobs. Talk to your son and ask him about it, if he doesn't open up, let him know you're okay with him smoking but he should be aware of the risks of dealing. Although dealing can be good money a lot of dealers wind up telling too many people where they live, how much weed they have, how much weed they grow (it's highly likely he grows if he is making a fair bit of money from it), and how much money they make from it. All it takes is one person who isn't very trustworthy and he could risk getting a knock on the door from the police. He's your son, and although you may disagree with his views, he's not a bad person and I know people personally who grow and sell Cannabis and all of them are upstanding citizens, nice people who have found it to be a good business opportunity. On the other hand though you should urge him to be very cautious about it if he is dealing and does continue to do so, as while science and rationality might tell us that Cannabis is not the bad thing it is portrayed to be, the law disagrees with that and penalties for dealing can be harsh. As a tip, it's best not to have any bags or scales in the house where he is growing or has his weed, as these make great evidence in a case against him.

Hope this helps and like I said, if you have any more questions or would like to talk to me live on an IM such as MSN then let me know via private message and I'll be more than happy to chat. :)

Edit: I just read your other thread, and although he should be attending his lectures, if he has made his mind up and is making good money from dealing you will find it hard to persuade him to attend. It's risky if you don't play it safe but in the long run you can be earning £100-200,000 per year on average from a relatively small grow operation and very little effort in comparison to working 9-5.

Just talk to him and be supportive. If he does choose to continue, let him, but make sure he is aware of the risks and has considered other options too. Definitely do not tell his university or anyone else about him smoking/possibly dealing, as this could get him into a lot of unnecessary trouble with the law for smoking and growing/selling a plant that has been grown by man for thousands of years. Prohibition is wrong, but it is something those who use the plant have to live with, and so please do make sure he is taking extra precautions if he is dealing, as for smoking though you shouldn't worry about anything other than him possibly smoking in obvious public places and getting caught. (though thankfully the penalty is usually a slap on the wrist and an on-the-spot fine.)

Best wishes

-Matt
  • Options
    Hi Cymrulass :wave:

It must be tough for you at the moment as it sounds like you feel quite helpless in this situation with your son. He's stopped going to uni and you think his weed smoking might have developed into dealing too.

Although cannabis in itself might not be the most harmful drug in comparison to something like heroin there are still plenty of risks attached to it. Not only health risks but also the possibility of him ending up with a criminal record as well as his lack of interest in university and how this could affect his future.

There are so many variables involved when it come to drug use, the strnegth of the cannabis he's smoking, how often and his own particular mental and physical health. Drugs will affect different people in different ways.

You might want to have a look at our article on dealing with someone else's problem for some ideas on how to cope with your son's situation as well as this article on drugs and the law. Being caught for posession with intent to supply could mean a prison sentence.

The Adfam website also has a lot of information on support groups and services that you can search depending on where you live.

Being there for your son as much as possible and talking to him about how he's feeling will help too. Perhaps there are reasons why he might have become distracted or is he spending time with different people?

Take care of yourself too, confide in a good friend or someone else in the family, you shouldn't feel like you have to deal with this on your own. Feel free to post again and let us know how things are going :)
  • Options
    Royaltramp wrote: »

the average dealer can make far more than most people in fairly high paid jobs.

Your average dealer gets his own smoke for free and nothing more.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Your average dealer gets his own smoke for free and nothing more.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Royaltramp wrote: »
    The fact is if he left university he is probably dealing, and probably quite successfully, as the average dealer can make far more than most people in fairly high paid jobs.

Most dealers however end up becoming another dealer's bitch. The "sucessful" dealers don't stay sucessful for long. Someone will see the trappings of wealth, realise your son isn't working a full time job and report him to the police. Several days later the next thing you know about it is your door has been smashed to pieces and cops are searching your house.

I've been on enough warrants to know that the one thing most dealers have in common is a belief that they won't get caught.

If he isn't bothered about a criminal record then fine, however a criminal record for a drugs offence can affect his future employment and any decisions he might make to travel to countries where he needs a visa. Especially the USA or Australia.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Most dealers however end up becoming another dealer's bitch. The "sucessful" dealers don't stay sucessful for long. Someone will see the trappings of wealth, realise your son isn't working a full time job and report him to the police. Several days later the next thing you know about it is your door has been smashed to pieces and cops are searching your house.

I've been on enough warrants to know that the one thing most dealers have in common is a belief that they won't get caught.

If he isn't bothered about a criminal record then fine, however a criminal record for a drugs offence can affect his future employment and any decisions he might make to travel to countries where he needs a visa. Especially the USA or Australia.
    Most dealers DONT ...get caught WW.
  • Options

When you consider how infrequent it is that large heroin and cocaine dealers are convicted it surprises me that you consider most dealers to be unsuccessful and frequently caught.

The very nature of the law means that there are thousands of people who make a lot of money from the drugs market. As Rolly and Skive have pointed out the majority get not much more than their own supply free and a bit of spending money. However some make frankly massive amounts of money from selling a product that is made more dangerous by the law, not less.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    When you consider how infrequent it is that large heroin and cocaine dealers are convicted it surprises me that you consider most dealers to be unsuccessful and frequently caught.

The very nature of the law means that there are thousands of people who make a lot of money from the drugs market. As Rolly and Skive have pointed out the majority get not much more than their own supply free and a bit of spending money. However some make frankly massive amounts of money from selling a product that is made more dangerous by the law, not less.

What he said^
  • Options
    Most dealers DONT ...get caught WW.

Maybe not in the depths of Wales, they do round where I work, although I suspect it may be because we work for a living lol ;) I also suspect people round where I work are more likely to contact the police when they see suspected drug dealing going on.

Buddha, there are some people who are the "Mr Big's" who don't touch the stuff personally but make a lot of money from it. But, it's like being a pop star. The chances of anyone getting there are slim, and someone like the OP's son is more likely than a Mr Big to get dobbed in and caught.
  • Options
    Maybe not in the depths of Wales, they do round where I work, although I suspect it may be because we work for a living lol ;) I also suspect people round where I work are more likely to contact the police when they see suspected drug dealing going on.

Buddha, there are some people who are the "Mr Big's" who don't touch the stuff personally but make a lot of money from it. But, it's like being a pop star. The chances of anyone getting there are slim, and someone like the OP's son is more likely than a Mr Big to get dobbed in and caught.

If you are convinced that most dealers get caught, why do people keep doing it? And why to drug prices either go down or stay the same year on year?

Lets face it, the majority of drug sales and use go un-noticed by anyone other than those involved.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If you are convinced that most dealers get caught, why do people keep doing it? And why to drug prices either go down or stay the same year on year?

Lets face it, the majority of drug sales and use go un-noticed by anyone other than those involved.

I didn't say most get caught. I said most dealers think themselves invincible and think they will never be caught. There is a difference.
  • Options
    I didn't say most get caught. I said most dealers think themselves invincible and think they will never be caught. There is a difference.

Fair enough, people who break the law don't think (or in some cases care) they will get caught or they wouldn't do it.