Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How Racist are You?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    This post to the BDF sums up what I thought about the programme:

A lot of people don't seem to get that it was an exercise, not a discussion.

It was shit and poorly executed whatever it was. I don't think anything was ascertained about discrimination; the participants all seemed a bit confused - as was I watching it - and the woman running it was quite simply a knob.
  • Options
    I think the idea of trying to get people to participate in the lived experience of racism could be useful, especially where people say they know what racism is, but really don't.
  • Options
    race in itself is rather pointless, it's only skin deep, there's a lot of other things like culture, class, wealth and politics that affect people more...

Yeah, get a judgemental impression in your mind based on someone's skin feature is naive. Too many people respond to appearance unfortunately
  • Options
    The impact of race on someone's life isn't insignificant, even if the 'reality' of the concept of race is.
  • Options
    It was shit and poorly executed whatever it was. I don't think anything was ascertained about discrimination; the participants all seemed a bit confused - as was I watching it - and the woman running it was quite simply a knob.
    The whole thing clearly ended in a shambles, but I'm prepared to afford Elliott a partial benefit of the doubt. Sometimes she came across as Anne Robinson, maintaining a 'bitchy' persona in the face of people who in the initial stages, wanted to crack that facade. The exercise would have turned farcical a lot sooner if they had succeeded. I think Elliott can turn that 'tude on like a light now, but that still doesn't mean she's really like that in private.