Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What pet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and the hubby want a pet but we don't know what to get.

I'm allergic to cats and dogs (they trigger my asthma and I get a rash and runny nose and itchy eyes etc) so they are out of the question. I hate dogs but love cats but it's not just the allergy, we live in a one bedroom flat on a main road so not the best environment for a cat or dog either.

The other half wants a hamster which I find quite amusing :D Always thought youngsters had hamsters although one of my friends has a hamster and a dog.

I suggested a bird but hubby said he doesn't want it flicking s*** at him :yeees:

Can you think of a pet that is pretty easy maintenance who would not require a great deal of space?

Comments

• Options
    Fish!
  • Options
    turtle!
  • Options
    Something rodenty like a gerbil, dont get a hamster theyre horrible things.

Or gets rats! With rats you'll need 2 cos theyre sociable, animals and so friendly and love being handled. I'd have some now if I could afford to look after them
  • Options
    sea monkeys!!!!!!
  • Options
    Chinchillas rock. Again, on the same lines as what Lexi said - get a couple of them.
  • Options
    turtle!

:yes: I'll give you mine, he is dumb.
    Though it depends on what you mean by not needing a lot of space... a turtle like a slider or painted is going to need about 100 gallons.

Birds aren't monkeys or this guy they won't throw poop at you :p YOu should get an African Gray, then you'll never be lonley :D

Though I once lived with a bird and never slept past dawn, stupid annoying fucker.
  • Options
    sea monkeys!!!!!!

:O! I want some sea monkeys now :( i had mine for ages, untill they got quite big and freaked me out :p
  • Options
    Turtles ain't dumb!...I think lol I really want one mum ain't up for it haha.

I say get a turtle!

Sea monkeys are funny...until a big one grows and eats them all...bad times.

Me and a friend today decided that I would get a chicken and she would get a duck and we would make a ducken...or a chuck we weren't sure :D do that!
  • Options
    hamsters are evil! get gerbils, they are so cute and kinda swaaaaay like meer cats.
  • Options
    Turtles ain't dumb!...I think lol I really want one mum ain't up for it haha.
    !

Mine is. Yesterday I found him stuck upside down on his rock with his dock on top of him... how he even managed that I can't begin to comprehend.
  • Options
    Sea monkeys are funny...until a big one grows and eats them all...bad times.

they eat eachother?!.....matter of fact, i dont want them now. I use to get freaked out because they would get so big that i could see their beedy eyes from the other side of my bedroom, and i would jsut use to keep thinking they were staring at me constantly....:|
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Mine is. Yesterday I found him stuck upside down on his rock with his dock on top of him... how he even managed that I can't begin to comprehend.

:lol: bless
    hamsters are evil! get gerbils, they are so cute and kinda swaaaaay like meer cats.

lol can gerbils sway? Infact what does a gerbil look like? Haha

Yes I suggest not getting a cat not just because your allergic to them but because with their old age they tend to walk into things, fall off things, dribble and occationally pee in the shower.
  • Options
    Question: Why, or even how can a bird flick shit at you??
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Question: Why, or even how can a bird flick shit at you??

:lol::lol::lol:

post of the week right there!
  • Options
    lol can gerbils sway? Infact what does a gerbil look like? Haha

like a cross between a rat and a mouse? but i could be thinking of guinpigs!
  • Options
    Get a tortoise! I want one, badly! My friend has one and it's cute, it sighs and plads around the house and falls out the back door. It's massive, about the size of a really big dinner plate and because it lives indoors it doesn't hibernate :yes:
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

post of the week right there!

Hahaha I agree!
    like a cross between a rat and a mouse? but i could be thinking of guinpigs!

No you're right - gerbils look like large mice but they have furry tails.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Chinchillas rock. Again, on the same lines as what Lexi said - get a couple of them.

Just remember they live for about 18 years. They are lovely animals though.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, will consult with the hubby when he gets in from work!

I have no idea how birds can flick s*** at you, he reckons his mate had a parrot once that use to do this.

I love animals, remember going into a pet shop once and there was a parrot and I went over and said hello to it (like a cutesy hello) and it said hello back, I was only young and didn't know some parrots could talk and I thought it was amazing!
  • Options
    seamonkeys.jpg

Sea monkeys! i thought they were cute?

They have evil eyes! no emotion! the top right one is out to kill!
  • Options
    seamonkeys.jpg

Uuummmm... really?!
  • Options
    seamonkeys.jpg

LOL@ this- the first time i've properly laughed all week! the one on the top right really does look evil...:chin:
  • Options
    a rabbit? my friend has one that's a 'house rabbit'. not sure how good that is for them though.