Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just read this on the site's page...

"Disadvantages:
With most pills, you are not protected against pregnancy for the first few days of use. Discuss this with doctor or nurse"

...and i was wondering if this was only for the first packet taken or every packet? me and my girlfriend did it without a condom you see, although it was after 6 days of the packet so she should be ok, but I was wondering for future knowledge.

Also i'd be interested to know whether people on the pill in a long term relationship (with no chance of std's) use condoms?

Thanks,
Dave :)

Comments

• Options
    Ooooh, thank you. This reminded me of something.

It meant in the first few days of starting the first ever pack.

Bit more information on the pill if you want it.
  • Options
    I'm in a long term relationship and have been on the pill for about 4 months.

Your girlfriend will be protected as long as she takes the pill she has been given correctly.

I've had sex with my boyfriend after my 1st or 2nd pill before and i'm still pregnancy free. :)
    So as long as your girly takes her pill on time you should be fine. :)

As for your last question, i don't use a condom as i know my partner and i are std and sti free, so i rely on the pill for protection.

But please remember, NO form of contraception available at the moment offers 100% protection from pregnancy.

Hope that helped. :)
  • Options
    But please remember, NO form of contraception available at the moment offers 100% protection from pregnancy.

thats what i was about to say. although most people dont use condons when there on the pill i think this is just plian stupid. ok, i understand that the pill has a very good protection rate but its still not 100% my sister got pregnant on the pill and didnt realise she was pregnant, so she carried on taking the pill. this ended up in her having a miscarriage. im not sure if it was entirely down to the pill but she lost it at 14 weeks which is along time to keep taking the pill when pregnant. i would personally still use a condon even on the pill cos then you doubly protected. if one fails, youve got the other one as a backup kinda thing. yeah, so getting pregnant on the pill is rare BUT IT DOES HAPPEN. i know of others who have also got pregnant on the pill.
  • Options
    Its the first week or so of the pill that a girl is not protected. This is only for the first packet if she keeps taking them properly after that evrything will be ok.
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelbabe

thats what i was about to say. although most people dont use condons when there on the pill i think this is just plian stupid. ok, i understand that the pill has a very good protection rate but its still not 100% my sister got pregnant on the pill and didnt realise she was pregnant, so she carried on taking the pill. this ended up in her having a miscarriage. im not sure if it was entirely down to the pill but she lost it at 14 weeks which is along time to keep taking the pill when pregnant. i would personally still use a condon even on the pill cos then you doubly protected. if one fails, youve got the other one as a backup kinda thing. yeah, so getting pregnant on the pill is rare BUT IT DOES HAPPEN. i know of others who have also got pregnant on the pill.

Just to moan. It's not stupid to just use the pill.
    Yeah, it's better to use condoms and the pill but not everyone wants to and the pill is very effective at preventing pregnancy on its own.
    The only reason it can possibly be perceived as stupid is in relation to STD's or if you are bad at remembering to take the thing (like me :rolleyes: ) or the various other times when you need to use extra protection whilst on the pill. Anyway, lots of people have not had sex/have been tested/have always used condoms or what have you before just using the pill. Yes, I know, lots haven't too.

Just thought I'd say that. :)