Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it legal that Men get charged more then Women?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nah, the point is, people who claim to think this is a big issue aren't actually concerned with gender equality at all. If they were, they would be campaigning to reduce the gender pay gap, or all the other forms of discrimination that women face daily. Despite what lunatics like Stargalaxy think, it's most definitely not a women's world, not by a long shot.

It's a bit like the fatism thing in the other thread. It probably is a form of discrimination, but in the great scheme of things, when considered in light of all the other injustices that occur in the world daily, it's not close to being the most serious.

Just boycott nightclubs that do it, if you're that bothered.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Nah, the point is, people who claim to think this is a big issue aren't actually concerned with gender equality at all. If they were, they would be campaigning to reduce the gender pay gap, or all the other forms of discrimination that women face daily.

I think just proclaiming there's a 'pay gap' is an oversimplification of a nuanced topic. I know statistics can be manipulated to prove just about anything, but SG's link shows that up until the age of thirty-four women are on average paid a bit more - I wouldn't take it as gospel, but it should give us pause for thought. I'm sure someone'll be able to produce statistics to the contrary, I just don't think the idea that women are being paid less in an axiom.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    What if it's an event being held at a private members club but being offered to the public? i.e. anyone can turn up and walk in as long as they pay on the night.

Here.
    When a club offers services to the public – for example, hiring out rooms for functions – it does have to obey the Sex Discrimination Act, and must provide this service without discriminating unfairly on the grounds of gender.
  • Options
    Can I just point out the amount of shit that people get when they go onto a thread about discrimination against women pointing out all of the ways that men suffer discrimination too? Rightly so too. In fact, they often get told "if you want to discuss discrimination against men, start a thread on it."

So, in that spirit, right back atcha. You'd think people would be against discrimination in general. But no, the second you suggest an instance in which one sex may be discriminated against, you get a flood of people of the other sex pointing out all of the discrimination that favours them. As if that makes it alright.
  • Options
    Can I just point out the amount of shit that people get when they go onto a thread about discrimination against women pointing out all of the ways that men suffer discrimination too? Rightly so too. In fact, they often get told "if you want to discuss discrimination against men, start a thread on it."

So, in that spirit, right back atcha. You'd think people would be against discrimination in general. But no, the second you suggest an instance in which one sex may be discriminated against, you get a flood of people of the other sex pointing out all of the discrimination that favours them. As if that makes it alright.

I'm not quite sure I was able to make sense of that - it's probably just me. Are you for or against bringing up discrimination against men when discrimination against women is brought up?
  • Options
    You might be right about that, but the point is, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of discrimination in our society against men as men, really. So to me it seems a bit disingenuous to raise a hypothetical case of a nightclub charging men more to enter and somehow extrapolate from this that it's now a women's world and men are victims of gender discrimination on a scale that we ought to be worried about.

So that's why I think it's worth raising that women suffer a lot more discrimination than men do - because other than night club entry fees and car insurance, there don't seem to be too many other instances of men being discriminated against. I'm against discrimination - but only when it's serious. Which this clearly isn't.
  • Options
    Is it appropriate to counteract evidence of discrimination against one group with evidence of discrimination against another? Surely that depends on what's trying to be proved, or at least inferred, by the initial statement?
  • Options
    So that's why I think it's worth raising that women suffer a lot more discrimination than men do - because other than night club entry fees and car insurance, there don't seem to be too many other instances of men being discriminated against. I'm against discrimination - but only when it's serious. Which this clearly isn't.

I think you have to provide evidence that women are, in fact, in the position you're currently purporting them to be in. I don't necessarily think that they aren't, but you're going to have to go a bit further than just asserting that they are.

It seems to me at the moment that there's a disputed discrepancy of pay on the table, but not much more.
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure I was able to make sense of that - it's probably just me. Are you for or against bringing up discrimination against men when discrimination against women is brought up?

I'm against it being brought up in some sort of "you've got nothing to complain about" way, as it so often is. As some sort of competition as to who has it worse.
  • Options
    Is it appropriate to counteract evidence of discrimination against one group with evidence of discrimination against another? Surely that depends on what's trying to be proved, or at least inferred, by the initial statement?

Also depends what you mean by appropriate.

It's certainly not a valid deductive inference to say "charging men higher entry fees is not discrimination because women are victims of discrimination in other spheres which are of greater importance". Clearly that's faulty reasoning.

But still it might be appropriate, insofar as, if people are concerned about discrimination, it might be helpful to point out that there are far more pressing issues of discrimination that ought to be addressed, and so in the great scheme of things, this sort of thing is a minor annoyance that you deal with by not patronising those establishments which have these rules. As men are in general not a persecuted minority in our society, this probably is quite far down the list of things we need to lobby our politicians about.
  • Options
    Just want to point out that men paying more for their car insurance isn't discrimination, it's risk assessment. It still might not be fair, but it's a different kettle of fish.

Oh, and also that no one was up in arms about the original post - I didn't see anyone saying it was right, or fair. The uproar was mainly about SG's ridiculous (and factually inaccurate) post about women and their 'choices'.
  • Options
    But still it might be appropriate, insofar as, if people are concerned about discrimination, it might be helpful to point out that there are far more pressing issues of discrimination that ought to be addressed, and so in the great scheme of things, this sort of thing is a minor annoyance that you deal with by not patronising those establishments which have these rules. As men are in general not a persecuted minority in our society, this probably is quite far down the list of things we need to lobby our politicians about.

Maybe, but it's also probably the single easiest discrimination we can deal with. Most club owners probably don't even realise they're breaking the law. The gender pay gap is complex. Parent's access to children is complex. Deliberately charging more for one group than another is something that is a simple problem with simple solutions, so there is no excuse for not dealing with it really.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Oh, and also that no one was up in arms about the original post - I didn't see anyone saying it was right, or fair. The uproar was mainly about SG's ridiculous (and factually inaccurate) post about women and their 'choices'.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. :blush: Trust SG. :p

But it doesn't seem to take much to seemingly turn two groups against each other, when we really should be opposing discrimination generally.
  • Options
    I'm against it being brought up in some sort of "you've got nothing to complain about" way, as it so often is. As some sort of competition as to who has it worse.

Ah, OK. In that case I agree. Very little is achieved in pointing out that Africans are starving if I'm complaining about hunger pains because I've no money to eat.
  • Options
    I think you have to provide evidence that women are, in fact, in the position you're currently purporting them to be in. I don't necessarily think that they aren't, but you're going to have to go a bit further than just asserting that they are.
    Actually, I'm not even sure I do. I don't think I have to commit myself on that for the basic point still to stand. I can retract my comment that women are discriminated against more than men, and still the basic point remains - this might be discrimination, but hardly a particularly urgent case of it.

I don't know whether women as women suffer loads of oppression. I personally feel I experience more discrimination on the basis of my race than my gender. So I don't want to commit myself on that question really.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm not even sure I do. I don't think I have to commit myself on that for the basic point still to stand. I can retract my comment that women are discriminated against more than men, and still the basic point remains - this might be discrimination, but hardly a particularly urgent case of it.

I don't know whether women as women suffer loads of oppression. I personally feel I experience more discrimination on the basis of my race than my gender. So I don't want to commit myself on that question really.

I think a couple of discussions have developed: a broader one about gender discrimination in general, and the OP's topic about nightclubs.

I agree that the OP's example of discrimination is not particularly egregious. Someone might be able to make a thin-edge argument, I suppose.

On the broader question of discrimination in general: I'm not sure we've established that women are more discriminated against. It's often trotted out as an axiom, but I'm sceptical of its validity.
  • Options
    It depends on your definition of discrimination. Clearly there's no legal discrimination. We have plenty of legislation in place aimed at ending gender-based discrimination, so we obviously have formal equality in the minimal sense.

Beyond that, it gets very difficult to prove the case convincingly, because a lot of what people will say about it is either anecdotal, or just sounds a a bit wishy-washy. My feeling is that there is still a fair amount of social and cultural oppression of women, but it's hard to prove and lacking in statistical backing, so I'm left saying - I just have an inkling. I don't expect that inkling to be persuasive to anyone, however.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Just want to point out that men paying more for their car insurance isn't discrimination, it's risk assessment. It still might not be fair, but it's a different kettle of fish.

Of course it's fucking descrinination

It's risk assment based on gender, that's a huge generaLIEsation.

The fact I've got a cock and not a cunt means I'll pay more. Where as risk assemesnt based on my the car I drive, the miliage I do, the amount of prangs I've had is descrimination on based on my individual circumstances and my ability as a driver.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

The fact I've got a cock and not a cunt means I'll pay more. Where as risk assemesnt based on my the car I drive, the miliage I do, the amount of prangs I've had is descrimination on based on my individual circumstances and my ability as a driver.

So do you think they shouldn't be able to make those kinds of assessments with respect to age either? Is that ageism?

I'm not sure myself, just wondering. It seems to be consistent that if we think it's unfair to take people's gender into account, we shouldn't take their age into account either. :chin:
  • Options
    So do you think they shouldn't be able to make those kinds of assessments with respect to age either? Is that ageism?

Of course they shouldn't. It's just as bad.

Most insurance companies use young drivers to prop up cheap quotes for older drivers who they're also trying to sell home insurance and the like.

If we can use statistics to allow women cheaper quotes for insurance why can we no use statistics to pay women less where they're not going to be as productive, for example the army where women are far more likely to get injured?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Statistically (according to their figures, I can't comment on whether or not that is correct - with insurance companies who the hell knows) males are involved in more accidents, so they pay more for insurance. It'd only be discrimination if statistically males and females were equally likely to be involved in an accident, and were only charged more based on their sex.

Like I said, it might not be right, but it isn't the same thing.
  • Options
    Most insurance companies use young drivers to prop up cheap quotes for older drivers who they're also trying to sell home insurance and the like.

If we can use statistics to allow women cheaper quotes for insurance why can we no use statistics to pay women less where they're not going to be as productive, for example the army where women are far more likely to get injured?

Hmmm. This is a really interesting question,I've never given it much thought before. I have conflicting intuitions.

Insurance is about risk assessment, no? If I have a pre-existing medical condition, my health insurance will cost me more. If I live in a dodgy area, my home insurance will be more. So if my age and my gender mean that I am more likely to make a claim, isn't it only reasonable that my premiums will be higher?

The analogy with pay is not a good one, because insurance premiums are about making predictions and assessing risk, whereas we pay people for work they have actually performed. I wouldn't object to performance related pay, so that if people were found to be less productive in their jobs they would be paid a lower salary, but that kind of thing has to be retrospective, not predictive.
  • Options
    Insurance is about risk assessment, no? If I have a pre-existing medical condition, my health insurance will cost me more. If I live in a dodgy area, my home insurance will be more. So if my age and my gender mean that I am more likely to make a claim, isn't it only reasonable that my premiums will be higher?

Actually a good comparison is that if you take out health insurance, women generally pay more than men, because they are likely to get pregnant, which carries its own set of risks, and they are thus more likely to incur medical costs.
  • Options
    Statistically (according to their figures, I can't comment on whether or not that is correct - with insurance companies who the hell knows) males are involved in more accidents, so they pay more for insurance. It'd only be discrimination if statistically males and females were equally likely to be involved in an accident, and were only charged more based on their sex.

No it's still descrimination. It's just you are legitimising that descrimination by means of statistics.

jamelia wrote:
    The analogy with pay is not a good one, because insurance premiums are about making predictions and assessing risk, whereas we pay people for work they have actually performed.

Not when advertising for a job with a salary.
    On avergage men are stronger and have more stamina then women and are more suited to physical labour. It think you'd have a hard time arguing otherise. So why if I was advertising for a job as a labourer would it be unnaceptable for me to put Men £400/wk Women £300/wk?

I tell you why. It's because the applicants for that job deserve to be assessed on an individual basis. It should be no different with insurance.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The analogy is still a bad one. When you get car insurance you ARE assessed on an individual basis. And one of the criteria they use to make that assessment is gender, another is age.

If you were to advertise the job with different salaries, I agree that would be wrong. But once people started the job, if they performed at different rates, I wouldn't necessarily object to people being paid more if they were more productive. That kind of judgment can be made retrospectively by assessing people's past performance, and anyway, like I said, salaries are backward looking - most people get paid in arrears, for work already performed. Insurance assessments are necessarily predictive, which means the statistics will be prone to a certain amount of generalisation.

Also - I lived in the USA for five years, and my health insurance premiums were more expensive because of a pre-existing medical condition. Do you think that's fair?
  • Options
    No it's still descrimination. It's just you are legitimising that descrimination by means of statistics.

Is it discrimination to charge a 90-year old with a dodgy heart more for life insurance than an 18 year old who's fit as a butcher's dog? I know that's an extreme example, but it's the same principle.
    Not when advertising for a job with a salary.
    On avergage men are stronger and have more stamina then women and are more suited to physical labour. It think you'd have a hard time arguing otherise. So why if I was advertising for a job as a labourer would it be unnaceptable for me to put Men £400/wk Women £300/wk?

In real terms it'd make no difference because the women would be very unlikely to get the job at all.
  • Options
    I always chuckle a little when I see "women only" events. I've never heard anyone make a fuss over THAT particular inequality.
  • Options

Men also typically spend more time behind the wheel. I've never seen the numbers myself but I have heard that women typically get in more accidents per-miles-driven. It might not be true but it's worth taking under consideration.

Men being charged more for insurance because they are 'statistically more likely to get in an accident' is just a way for the insurance to make more money.
  • Options
    I always chuckle a little when I see "women only" events. I've never heard anyone make a fuss over THAT particular inequality.

It's true! There's be uproar if there were men-only events on.

That said, it's usually stuff like aqua aerobics, so you're not missing much :p
  • Options
    It's true! There's be uproar if there were men-only events on.

That said, it's usually stuff like aqua aerobics, so you're not missing much :p

I would should I decide to take up rock climbing again and walked into my schools gym on a Wednesday night...