Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it legal that Men get charged more then Women?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just seen some party advertised at a club and it says Women £10 entry - men £15

Women have been campaigning for decades for equal rights to match men - so is it legal to charge someone 50% more because of their Gender?

Comments

• Options
    If it is, it shouldn't be.

Same goes for the 'Ladies go in free' nights IMO.

Then again, no sane person would ever want to visit a bar/club that offers free or discounted entry to women. Guaranteed to be a fucking dive.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If it is, it shouldn't be.

Same goes for the 'Ladies go in free' nights IMO.

Then again, no sane person would ever want to visit a bar/club that offers free or discounted entry to women. Guaranteed to be a fucking dive.

lol you should come to singapore, every wednesday night the ladies get in free at all the clubs AND get free drinks til 10-11pm....no wonder they're all shitfaced by the time i turn up.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I've just seen some party advertised at a club and it says Women £10 entry - men £15

Women have been campaigning for decades for equal rights to match men - so is it legal to charge someone 50% more because of their Gender?

No, it's a breach of the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975. From the Equality and Human Rights Commission:
    Service providers are not allowed to discriminate unlawfully when providing goods or services to people. Discrimination when providing services means:

- refusing to provide a service
    - providing a lower standard of service
    - offering a service on different terms than you would to other people.

If an organisation provides a service to consumers, it also needs to avoid discrimination in how it provides that service. This includes discrimination on the grounds of:
    - disability
    - religion or belief
    - sexual orientation

This applies to all organisations that provide goods, facilities or services to the public, whether paid for or free, and no matter how large or small they are.

For example, a nightclub runs ladies’ nights where women receive free drinks, two-for-one offers or free admission. This is sex discrimination.

The issue is that no-one ever complains though. When they do, they win. Carlisle Football Club were nearly fined this year when someone pointed out that offering pensioners cheaper season tickets effectively discriminated against men aged 60 to 64. Obviously, that was a fairly innocent mistake, so they just changed the rules and everything was hunky dory. Incidentally, if a company advertises an event as being cheaper for women than men, they're not only breaking that law, but they're also breaking advertising laws.

The law doesn't apply to private member's clubs though.
  • Options
    Just one of the many ways women seem to have it better than men. Another example - pensions. Women live longer, yet get to retire five years ahead of their male counterparts. I never hear bra-burners making a fuss about that piece of blatant discrimination.

Oh wait, I forgot - discrimination against men obviously doesn't exist...
  • Options
    I dont see why it is a problem. It's not their nightclub, why must people think they are entitled to go there on their own terms?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    I dont see why it is a problem. It's not their nightclub, why must people think they are entitled to go there on their own terms?

It's a business that's open to the public, and so it subject to laws about providing services to the public. I suppose we could go back to a society where businesses put signs on the door saying "No Jews, no blacks, no dogs," but I don't think I want to live in that sort of society.
  • Options
    There's a difference between discriminating out of prejudice and discriminating between customers as part of a business model. Most companies do it but when it comes down to gender oh no.
  • Options
    There's a difference between discriminating out of prejudice and discriminating between customers as part of a business model. Most companies do it but when it comes down to gender oh no.
    There's a difference between targeting a particular market, and actively preventing those you don't want to come in. And something tells me that in 1950s America, where the number of racists massively outnumbered the number of black people with disposible income, it was pretty good business sense to stop black people entering your business too. Does that mean it's acceptable?
  • Options
    Also, anyone who really cared about it probably wouldnt go to a place like that on principle but people just want something for less so will stamp their foot and bleat about discrimination :D
  • Options
    There's a difference between targeting a particular market, and actively preventing those you don't want to come in.

Charging a higher price is not preventing anyone from going in if they want to.
  • Options
    Charging a higher price is not preventing anyone from going in if they want to.

It's effectively trying to prevent men going. How about women: £10, men: £5000? That would be fine under your system, but don't pretend it wouldn't just be a way of banning without technically banning a particular group. Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue with the ultra-libertarian argument. The point is it's illegal, and you could sue them for it.
  • Options
    Isn't it less about preventing men, and more about encouraging more women to go?
  • Options
    Yeah just like with student and OAP discounts.
  • Options
    It's effectively trying to prevent men going. How about women: £10, men: £5000? That

I find it hard to believe you cannot see the difference in motive between charging £15 and £5000.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Insurance is the one that pisses me off.

Even if I never claim for a prang in my life I will have ended up paying thousands more to insuance companies than I would have had pay if I'd have been born with a cunt instead of a cock.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Just one of the many ways women seem to have it better than men. Another example - pensions. Women live longer, yet get to retire five years ahead of their male counterparts. I never hear bra-burners making a fuss about that piece of blatant discrimination.

Oh wait, I forgot - discrimination against men obviously doesn't exist...

:lol:

Awesome. Why read the tabloids with you around hey?

As a woman, I will earn about 17 percent less than a man over my lifetime, so I'm quite happy to take advantage of the cheap car insurance and cheap nightclub entry.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=167
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    As a woman, I will earn about 17 percent less than a man over my lifetime...
    Mostly down to the decisions that women make about their careers, of course. Such as taking various breaks during their careers to have children, more women working in poorly-paid public sector jobs, more women working in part-time jobs... Funny how you don't mention that.

Here's a bit more about this - stupid title, but the article makes sense.
  • Options
    taking various breaks during their careers to have children, more women working in poorly-paid public sector jobs

You really think it's accurate to describe those things as 'decisions'?
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    You really think it's accurate to describe those things as 'decisions'?
    Well, a woman can "decide" not to have children or "decide" not to work in a public sector job.
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe you cannot see the difference in motive between charging £15 and £5000.

Yes, it's a difference of £4985. But it's discrimination, in exactly the same way. And based on your argument, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with charging men more, be it £5 more or £4990 more. I mean what sort of price difference do you consider it crossing the line from a simple business decision to one of outright discrimination? And would you have any problem with a nightclub that charged more for black people that white people?

Incidentally, I've never come across one of these clubs personally. If I did, I probably wouldn't go in. I probably wouldn't report them because I don't care enough, but that doesn't mean that I don't think there is an important principle at stake here, and that the only way of upholding that principle is to make it illegal to discriminate against any group in the way you offer a service without a legitimate reason. Now if you have the opinion that business owners should be able to do what they want and let the market decide, then we're never going to agree on this. But I think I'd certainly prefer my society to yours.
  • Options
    Well, a woman can "decide" not to have children or "decide" not to work in a public sector job.

There are legitimate reasons for the difference in male and female earnings, but there are also illegitimate ones.

Incidentally, did anyone post this on here recently? If you have an African or Asian-sounding name, you will recieve a positive response to a job application 1 in 16 times, compared to 1 in 9 times if you have a "white-sounding" name. Only tenuously on topic, but since the discussion kinda went that way...
  • Options
    Such as taking various breaks during their careers to have children.

Oh dear. :no:.

What would you say if women DIDN'T take breaks to have children? How selfish of us to not want to further the human race? Having had to watch one of the girls I work with have to go home last week because she was having stomach pains I would quite like it if that time were made that little bit longer on the before-giving-birth end, especially in jobs like mine.
  • Options
    Women live longer, yet get to retire five years ahead of their male counterparts.

Only women born before 1950. Keep up. I'll be getting my pension at exactly the same time as any male born in the same year as me.

And don't even get me started on a woman's CHOICE to have a baby or work in a low-paid job or get passed over for promotion because she's recently married and of a childbearing age.

As it happens, I agree that the club entry is unfair, but this is not even in the same league.
  • Options

No, it's not right. Not only is it against the law but the practice also treats women like a commodity to lure men into the establishment, which is pretty demeaning. If women had achieved equality in other areas, such as earning as much money as men, then I would put this issue higher on my agenda, but seeing as they don't...
  • Options
    It shouldn't be a men vs women argument. I too got frustrated by little things like this, I did some reading up on it, and it really is endemic in society. There are so many areas where there are gender inequalities it's like trying to stop the water leaking out a sieve. There are lots of reasons for all the factors like income disparity, and I actually wasted my time reading the academic literature to find out why :p and if anyone can be bothered it's worth looking into.

Ultimately though, we have to live our lives! The best way is to adopt an egalitarian perspective and try and shape policy when we have the opportunity to. Obviously, currently none of it is in the political environment and so trying to get anything changed wont work as politicians will not want to push the agenda as it will more likely annoy people than get them votes. That's how democracy works :p fear of losing votes = avoiding issues that may need tending but are 'controversial'.
  • Options
    Mostly down to the decisions that women make about their careers, of course.

No.
  • Options

Yes, quite. And what would happen to society if we all did decide to stop doing both those things, as they aren't financially lucrative decisions?

If you want a future generation of workers, and you want well staffed schools and hospitals, the least you could do is pay the workers well and not penalise them for doing work that everyone in society benefits from.

I'm With Stupid - I have my own anecdotal evidence that that is true. I have an Asian first name, and when I was applying for jobs I got far more interviews when I called myself Sarah on my CV than when I used my real name.
  • Options
    No, it's a breach of the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975. From the Equality and Human Rights Commission:

The law doesn't apply to private member's clubs though.

What if it's an event being held at a private members club but being offered to the public? i.e. anyone can turn up and walk in as long as they pay on the night.

Also I find it interesting to see how many women here are ready to see unfair treatment of the genders when it works in their favour ..

It's not just £5 more it's 50% more.

If you replaced the word male / female or men / women with black / white or straight / gay and said one group had to pay more then the other then I bet you'd be seeing a lot less people supporting the two different prices.
  • Options
    What if it's an event being held at a private members club but being offered to the public? i.e. anyone can turn up and walk in as long as they pay on the night.

Also I find it interesting to see how many women here are ready to see unfair treatment of the genders when it works in their favour ..

It's not just £5 more it's 50% more.

If you replaced the word male / female or men / women with black / white or straight / gay and said one group had to pay more then the other then I bet you'd be seeing a lot less people supporting the two different prices.
    Did any of the women say they were ok with it or that it was right? The only comments I've seen which are even slightly like that are ones which say that while there are bigger inequalities against women, this isn't really a huge issue for them. None of the female posters in this thread have said they think it's right.

I think it's wrong, and I always have done, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go campaigning against it because a) I don't go to those sorts of places anyway, never have, and b) I have bigger things to think about than whether men are going to be stupid enough to pay an extra fiver to get into a club.
  • Options
    Like I said, we need to stay away from turning these issues into men vs women. Instead, they are elements of society that are manipulating differences unfairly in order to make more money or whatever.

Franki - I think the concern rather was that people can be generally dismissive about equalities issues if they are not the typical 'young girl is discriminated against'. Even within the feminist movement itself there were issues (that a lot of progress has been made on now) where it was pushing rights for white women, but ignoring the issues that affected black women.

There is no instant-win situation, this is going to take generations to get to the point where things are fair. Where men and women don't have gender roles which ultimately are more destructive than glass ceilings or parental rights in court. The only way to make progress is to adopt a universal perspective that all people should be afforded the same opportunities (unless, of course, they're fat - see other thread ;)) and we shouldn't focus on one group as that is prejudiced in it's own way.

Imagine if it was the other way round, you say you have bigger things to think about whether men are [stupid enough? loaded language just serves to stoke animosities which is what we need to fight against] going to pay an extra £5 to get into a club - a man could just as easily say (and plenty have) that they have better things to worry about than whether a woman gets passed up for a promotion just because she's a woman.

The egalitarian perspective is that we are not men / women / white / black / gay / bisexual, but that we are all people, and that we need to stick together to bring down barriers and social constructs and social expectations or what we should or should not do because of our sex / gender / sexuality / colour.