Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student loans and housing benefit?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been advised to apply for housing benefit; as I can't pay my rent. (student loan hasn't come through because uni have now changed their rules on ID checks)

Now, as a disabled student, I am entitled to apply for this and have read somewhere that a certain amount of money is deducted. Can someone tell me either a) what the amounts are, or b) where can I find out this information?

Money and welfare services are being useless and are refusing to help me; as apprently it's my fault I don't have the ID they require for ID checks.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Try your tutor if you haven't already - they should be able to help you with the university side of things and proving ID. Realistically once that's sorted Student Loan should come through pretty quickly assuming its just waiting on the university to confirm your arrival so that will likely be the quickest solution.

In all honesty, your best way of finding out what you get and what if anything is deducted would be to apply and see what happens.
  • Options
    You can find out the amounts from the local coucil you would be applying to. Be careful asking the council as they tend to say 'student- no housing benefit', which isn't always correct. Perhaps you could try your CAB or other benefits advice place.
  • Options
    Hi

The only deductions allowed from your income allowed are Tax, National Insurance, and 50% of any pension contributions. :banghead:
  • Options
    I'd suggest getting onto the ALF or Access to Learning Fund as well. I think you'd almost certainly be eligible as a disabled student with financial difficulties that threaten losing your place of living. Your uni should have some guides somewhere on how to apply.
  • Options
    The only deductions allowed from your income allowed are Tax, National Insurance, and 50% of any pension contributions. :banghead:

?

She isnt on about her income, she is on about lack of it.