Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Myra Hindley (And Iain Brady)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should Myra Hindley be released (Iain's not asking to be)
If yes Why
Is she a political prisoner?

I think she should be released as long as she has been declared unlikely to commit other murders.

I don't think she's a political prisoner but I do think she's a prisoner of the media

What do you think.

(No doubt there'll be one of us who believes she should be released so that the families of the victims can rip her to shreds but I'm sure we'll come to that later!!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One more vicious murderer released onto our streets..Hardly gonna make much difference is it.
    Re: Myra Hindley (And Iain Brady)
    Originally posted by byny
    Should Myra Hindley be released (Iain's not asking to be)
    If yes Why

No, because she's a dangerous child killer without remorse or feeling. This is a woman who not only tortured children but has been torturing some of their families ever since.
    Is she a political prisoner?

No, she is proof that sometimes justice works. She wasn't imprisoned for politics but becuase she killed children [note the plural, its very important].
    I think she should be released as long as she has been declared unlikely to commit other murders.

You are talking about a multiple child killer. She killed for fun, no other reason.
    I don't think she's a political prisoner but I do think she's a prisoner of the media

Is this because the media tell the truth about what she did, because they are horrified by what she did? SHe's been detained at the behest of the law lords. I'd say she had a fair trial, she has admitted her crime.

Why can't we ever get over this frequent "Free Myra" crap and let the bitch rot?
    Re: Re: Myra Hindley (And Iain Brady)
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

No, because she's a dangerous child killer without remorse or feeling. This is a woman who not only tortured children but has been torturing some of their families ever since.

Why can't we ever get over this frequent "Free Myra" crap and let the bitch rot?
    Careful, there, MoK...

You are in peril of losing your standing as a touchie feelie liberal, and beginning to sound extraordinarily like the resident blood lusting heathen of this forum... :rolleyes:

Personally? There are individuals who are the perfect example of the need for execution. As long as the liberals moan and wail for her release, there is the probability (not "possibility", but PROBABILITY) that she will return to your midst, and begin her predation once more...
    I don't think it helps saying stuff like 'let the bitch rot.' As difficult as it may be, it's necessary to try and remain objective about this: one of the cornerstones of our justice system is the right to appeal and the right to a fair and unbiased trial. That becomes increasingly unlikely if we get so emotive - actually, it might be counterproductive: it's hypothetically possible for a serial killer to remain free because the judge feels that a fair trial is impossible, isn't it?
    Hindley... well, I don't know. I don't know the specifics of the case well enough. Has she been psychologically assessed and judged no longer a threat? was she insane at the time of the crime? was she a fully active participant or just Brady's accessory?
    Unless anyone knows the answers to these questions I don't really think it's fair to judge.
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    I don't think it helps saying stuff like 'let the bitch rot.' As difficult as it may be, it's necessary to try and remain objective about this:

I was being objective. She is guity of one of the most heinous crimes ever committed in this country. She was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. Why can't that mean life?

"Let the bitch rot" may be seen as an emotive staement, but believe me when I say that it is used in a cold and just way.
    one of the cornerstones of our justice system is the right to appeal and the right to a fair and unbiased trial.

Which she had and that is something she has never argued against. She has also had appeals about the fact that the Home Secretary said that life will mean life in her case, and the Law Lords told her where to go.

For once in this country justice has been, and is being, served. For that I am grateful.
    Hindley... well, I don't know. I don't know the specifics of the case well enough.

Okay, let me outline a few of the facts of the case.

Myra Hindley and her then boyfriend Ian Brady kidnapped a number of children. Even to this day we don't know for sure how many. They held them for a few days whilst they tortured them. We know that the children were tortured for two main reasons, firstly the bodies which were recovered showed signs of torture. Secondly because the sick bastards recorded their screams and kept the tapes. Many were aired during their trial.
    Has she been psychologically assessed and judged no longer a threat? was she insane at the time of the crime? was she a fully active participant or just Brady's accessory?

Naturally as part of the trial and sentencing she underwent a psyche consult. Unlike Brady she was deemed sane and has spent the remaining years in prison. H, being deemed insane, has been in Broadmoor.

For once I really don't think that the expression "just an accessory" could ever be relevant. How can you only be an accessory to such a crime? Is there an acceptable level of involvement in the torture and killing of children?

Since imprisonment there has been the belief that more bodies are still buried on the moors (hence their infamous title "The Moors Murders") and Hindley has claimed to know where the bodies are. On more than one occasion she has told the police where to look, thus raising the hopes of the parents of the children still "missing" that they may finally lay their children to rest. Of course, to date no more bodies have been found in these locations and this has just added to the torment of those parents.

Some people, Prufrock, should never be released. Hindley is one of them. I rue the day that society ever believes that she is fit for release.

For an aside on Brady, he apparently has shown some remorse. he recently claimed that he could no longer live in prison and tried to starve himself to death. The prison authorities refused to allow him to do this, so he sued. The courts decided that the prison had the right to force feed him. This pleases me, for every day he believes he lives in torment is another where he will regret what he has done. Even if he was insane before, I pray that his enforced encarceration somewhere he believes to be beyond hell pushes him just a little further.

In case you hadn't guessed I feel no compassion for either and believe that their only solace should come on the day they die.
    Originally posted by Thanatos...Again
    Careful, there, MoK...

You are in peril of losing your standing as a touchie feelie liberal, and beginning to sound extraordinarily like the resident blood lusting heathen of this forum...

If I have standing as a "touchy feely liberal", that surprises me, for I am anything but. I believe in equality for all and gun control, which I know you see as liberal stances. But, as you will have noticed, I certainly don't hold liberal views on many other aspects of life.

Would that I could be so easily pigeonholed.
    Personally? There are individuals who are the perfect example of the need for execution. As long as the liberals moan and wail for her release, there is the probability (not "possibility", but PROBABILITY) that she will return to your midst, and begin her predation once more...

Talking of liberal views, here's one. I don't believe that the death penalty offers any greater justice than imprisonment.

If anything I believe that it offer the guilty an easy way out. If the case mentioned here show me anything, it is that sometimes a lifetime of reflection on crimes committed and the thought of never being "free" can make a man the prisoner of his own mind. I believe that to be the hardest punishment available.

A man on death row knows that his torment will end soon, without much pain and fairly quickly. Brady (and Hindley) know that their torment could go on for many more years, and that they will never be free until the day that nature takes its course. In whatever form that may be.

In addition I cannot accept that a society that condemns the killing of an individual belives that it is okay for society to kill an individual - although defence of a nation is a noted exception to that rule. I would rather have justice than retribution and they aren't the same thing.
    I think, having read that, that I agree that hindley should never be released, if she was truly fully aware of her crimes, and if she has not shown complete remorse and rehabilitation. I also agree, of course, that being an accessiry is totally mostrous and horrific; nevertheless, it is different from being the instigator.

In general - You say you would rather have justice than retribution and yet all you seem interested in is making criminals suffer. Well, why? The only possible logical explanation apart from simple animal anger and desire to see them in the same pain they caused others is as a deterrent - but of course this argument is deeply flawed, since the deterrent effect in cases such as this where the crimes are unmotivated, or in crimes which are committed on the spur of the moment, is negligible or non-existent.
    If it isn't OK for society to kill an individual - which I entirely agree with, by the way, though I odn't think we should get into a death penalty discussion since that's a topic in itself - why is OK for a society to cause someone, even someone evil, suffering for no other purpose like deterrence, rehabilitation, or public safety? what's the point? it doesn't heal the wounds if we keep thinking about what scum they are and trying to make them hurt - it just probes away at them and makes us think about them again and again and again. What possible good can it do the family of a murder victim to spend years campaigning to have the murderer permanently incarcerated or somehow more severely punished? it's understandable of course that they'd want to and that their judgement is clouded but it's necessary for the rest of us to remain objective and realise that in the end in doesn't do them, or anyone else, any good.
    If you can give me one good reason for making them suffer without another purpose save 'natural justice' or some other expression which basically means animal instinct, I'll shut up.
    In general - You say you would rather have justice than retribution and yet all you seem interested in is making criminals suffer.

I guess this is hard to explain.

Retribution would be the torture or killing of the criminal by the State. That's the "easy" option.

Justice is the State putting the prisoner in a position whre they reflect on the crime themselves, and the mental anguish is something they inflict on themselves. I actually believe that we still aren't tough enough on our prisoners, but accept that they still have some rights.
    yeah, but, to reiterate, why? why do we want them to suffer? what does it achieve?
    MoK... that was rather "tongue in cheek", don't you know? :D

Reality is, you grow ever closer to being a "curmudgeon", like moi. ;)

For me, there is absolutely no emotion concerning execution. It is simply a job to be done. It has nothing to do with punishment, rehabilitation, retribution, or vengence. It is simply about the finality of the problem... the "taking out of the trash". I have no more emotion concerning their execution than of flushing a giant turd down the toilet.

My perspective comes as looking FIRST at the safety of society, and insuring that these less than human examples of fetid detritus will NEVER be loosed upon society again. Given the depravity of the liberal mindset, there is only one course to be taken that cannot be compromised in the future.

You want to witness "cold"? Watch my eyes carefully as I pull the plunger that flushes them to Hell: you will not even see a flicker.
    good to know that you're so openminded about the possibility of redemption, thanatos, one of the defining characteristics of humanity which distinguishes us from animals. If you believe in hell presumably you're a christian... isn't forgiveness fairly important in the bible?
    she shouldnt be released, i cant believe she even thinks she deserves to be released. surely she should be overcome with guilt forever and know she deserves to rot. I think with a lot of criminals it is worth the risk to see if they can change, but with certain types of crime, its not worth the risk, why should people care about her rights, she didnt give a flying fuck about the rights of all those innocent children she tortured and murdered in cold blood.
    good to know that you're so openminded about the possibility of redemption, thanatos, one of the defining characteristics of humanity which distinguishes us from animals. If you believe in hell presumably you're a christian... isn't forgiveness fairly important in the bible?

Redemption is for God to grant. I am not God, and I am not the Christ.

The commission of the acts by the miscreant distinguish them from humanity, and toward preditory animals. Do you set a tiger loose to roam the streets of London after it has killed repeatedly? Or do you end its life, so that it cannot ever travel that road again?

Bible also teaches about consequences and responsibility for actions. You do not mummble an "I'm sowwy" to God, and all is forgiven... you must settle up for the transgression with those whom you have offended. Seems youth always forget that aspect, just as in "freedom of speech", without consequences and responsibility for WHAT they speak.

Execution is NOT about revenge/retribution/punishment/redemption, but simply the reckoning, and those too gutless to see their way through should step aside and allow those with the heuvos to get the requisite job done, just as with military service. You do not put those "morally superior" pacifists into uniform and depend upon them to defend a nation.

THAT mindset from which you post is what gets the "sheep" comments, because you stand around bleating about high mindedness and your self-proclaimed moral superiority, while your civilization is being flushed away. You "think" with your emotions, rather than with a cold and calculating reality.

When that tiger is set loose to roam London, you will be amongst the first to say "nice kitty", pet it, scratch it behind its ears, and offer it a catnip toy, right?

There is NO cure for sexual preditors, NONE, outside of execution. You might forgive its transgressions, and allow it to renew its perversions, but I have absolutely no inclination to do so, even in your country, which could be viewed as nothing more than the exquisite proof of Darwin's theory. I am a realist, not a head-up-ass idealist, and my kind will still be around after your kind have removed themselves from life through their ineptness.

If NOTHING else comes from this, hopefully, someday you might come to accept the necessity of the RECKONING!
    so redemption is God's to decide, but punishment is up to us? we have no right to forgive but we do have the right to judge and kill? that's just plain illogical, thanatos.
    Whether paedophilia is curable or not, it is certainly possible for people to gain control of their instincts and fully understand the harm they have done others, be truly sorry for what they have done, and genuinely change psychologically. your lack of compassion is scary.
    Whether paedophilia is curable or not, it is certainly possible for people to gain control of their instincts and fully understand the harm they have done others, be truly sorry for what they have done, and genuinely change psychologically. your lack of compassion is scary.

tough shit, too late AFTER theyve done it, if they really dont want to spend the rest of their life in prison then they should perhaps think of that BEFORE torturing and killing innocents. if they had control over their instincts they wouldnt have done it in the first place. as i said before, its the nature of the crime that makes me feel she should never be released. people who steal cars etc, burgle, petty stuff, yeah they can be rehabilitated, but people who torture and kill is a completely different story, even if you forgive them for the crime, you cant forget what theyve done, and those kind of people shouldnt get a second chance. I think she should get the option of the death penalty just to save money for us because she will never be released and there is no question of her guilt, likewise with Ian Brady.
    ... it is certainly possible for people to gain control of their instincts and fully understand the harm they have done others, be truly sorry for what they have done, and genuinely change psychologically. your lack of compassion is scary.

Your perspective? Is somewhere between laughable and pathetic. Ever deal with those you are so sympathetic/empathetic with? Didn't think so.

My "lack of compassion is scary"? So be it. The world is a much safer place for those of your ilk because of mine...
    Let 'em out. We ALL know that there's gonna be a queue miles long for the pleasure of slitting their throats. Good riddance:D
    I thought it said on the news ages ago Myra was diagnosed with cancer and didnt have long left?
    From the sound of things her life hasnt been 2 tough in prison anyway. She was looked after by every1, had extra comforts like a TV in her cell She also been in several relationships includin 1 with Rose West match made in heaven i`d say.....
    Originally posted by RubberSkin
    Let 'em out. We ALL know that there's gonna be a queue miles long for the pleasure of slitting their throats. Good riddance:D

unlikely to happen though, everybody thought that Thompson and Venables would be killed quickly when let out, but nothings happened to them.
    Originally posted by Meatballs125
    She also been in several relationships includin 1 with Rose West match made in heaven i`d say.....

Forged in Hell:D
    jesus christ. if you seriously believe rose west and myra hindley ahd a sexual relationship you're deluded.
    Let 'em out. We ALL know that there's gonna be a queue miles long for the pleasure of slitting their throats. Good riddance

nice, rubber skin. civilised. good to see we live in such enlightened times.
    nice, rubber skin. civilised. good to see we live in such enlightened times.

Dont blame me for the world hon, i didn't make it i just try and live in it. And did i say i'd be in the line? I don't think so. Please try and get you're facts right. I'm just quoting what many, many people have said.
    I'm just quoting what many, many people have said.

Many people would say the same thing about anyone HIV+, doesn't mean that we quote them...

Sometimes its better not to give credence to such views.
    Tenuous to say the fucking least:D
    Tenuous to say the fucking least:D

Agreed, but I was pointing that "I'm just quoting.." isn't really an excuse for posting shite. I also suggested that just because someone else said it, doesn't mean that it needs repeating or should be given any credence. I just used an example that would be close to home.

You also apparently agreed with the sentiment in the first place. Even though we all know that there wouldn't be a queue, just a few headlines and some general grumbling about the "state of the country", just like there was when the Bulger killers were released.

Unless, of course, you support vigilantes?
    Interesting -
    My advice to anyone who want's to find out more about the 'moors murderers' would be to stop reading the news of the world and start to read some of the better books written about the crimes.
    Then perhaps start to think about why we have a prison system - is it to rehabilitate or the punnish? Are some people beyond rehabilitation?

At the time Myra and Iain were convicted we had no Death penalty in this country and so therefore we cannot issue them with a retrospective death penalty.
    Instead they were sent away for 'life'

Life in this country and during that time did not mean 'for the rest of your life'.

What would Myra Hyndley have to do to convince us that she was remorseful and rehabilitated?

It's a hard one isn't it.

As long as we don't get stuck in this 'she's evil through and through ... and she's a lesbian you know' kind of groove!

As for releasing her to have her throat cut by the relatives of the victims - what do we do with them once they have done it? Are we suggesting that kind of action isn't murder too!

We don't have the death penalty in this country so much as some of us may wish to have, we need to be able to sort out the prison system so that people who have done wrong can be offered the chance to change their lives. Just like they did with the 'bulger boys' and Mary Bell!
    Originally posted by byny

we need to be able to sort out the prison system so that people who have done wrong can be offered the chance to change their lives. Just like they did with the 'bulger boys' and Mary Bell!

i do agree with that for most crimes, but not for violent rapes murders and torture. I honestly dont believe these people deserve second chances and are a risk. I also think their incarceration should be a punishment for their crimes too, not just to keep them out of trouble. for the lives myra hindley has brutally taken, why should anyone care about her rights anymore? even by her serving her entire life in prison, isnt justice for what shes done, but setting her free would be an outrageous injustice.
    like I said - read up on it.

Myra Hindley was very possibly an accessory adn hugely influenced by Brady.

Did someone mention Rose West...Did you know her conviction was gained because the police went by the assumption that she knew what her husband was doing? Funnily enough none of the teenage children in the house, nor the lodgers knew what he was doing.

What I'm saying is that couples as killers is very rare and one is often ignorant of the others involvement, or is infact nothing to do with the crimes.

(Although other things do suggest Rose West was a particularly nasty piece of work)
    i am not an expert on any of these cases, but my understanding was that Hindley was so in love with Brady that she did go along with what he wanted to do. Brady was actually a psychopath, yet Hindley was deemed to be sane, part of me thinks that makes her worse. Brady has never tried to appeal to get out of jail whereas Hindley thinks shes paid the price for what shes done - I disagree.
    the fact that she was in love with brady and wanted to please him, is a lame excuse. surely finding out that your partner wanted to torture and murder children, might put you off them a bit? not make you want to do it too. maybe im being a bit simplistic there, but i cant get my head round that one.
    on another note, i doubt very much if someone who`d been incarcerated for that long could cope with freedom after all this time, she would have been well and truly institutionalised by now.