Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What are your thoughts on this?
    What are yours?
    I don't really have any just yet. I would need to think about it some more. But I didn't post a thread about it...

I'm guessing you posted it to be reactionary in some way, so jump down off that fence and kick an argument off!
    ooh, has feminism achieved it's origonal aims and even gone too far? chortle
    I think Alan Sugar got it right when he said that if employers no longer have the right to ask questions like 'are you planning on having a child soon?' then they will simply not employ women for fear of them leaving for a year of paid vacation.

My cousin is doing it at the moment - 1 year paid vacation with one child and is pregnant with another, she is getting paid and has a position held in the company she is in, it is a good system that lets people do that but is it fair on the companies?
    jamelia wrote: »
    I don't really have any just yet. I would need to think about it some more. But I didn't post a thread about it...

I'm guessing you posted it to be reactionary in some way, so jump down off that fence and kick an argument off!

You know what they say assumptions are the mother of? Or should that be 'father' to be PC?
    I think Alan Sugar got it right when he said that if employers no longer have the right to ask questions like 'are you planning on having a child soon?' then they will simply not employ women for fear of them leaving for a year of paid vacation.

My cousin is doing it at the moment - 1 year paid vacation with one child and is pregnant with another, she is getting paid and has a position held in the company she is in, it is a good system that lets people do that but is it fair on the companies?

No it's crazy.
    i think that artical is bollocks
    You know what they say assumptions are the mother of? Or should that be 'father' to be PC?
    :confused:

I genuinely don't have any idea what you're talking about.

But it seems a bit weird to read a story, then decide to post a thread in a debate forum with a link to it, if you don't have any thoughts or opinions about it. So clearly you do, yet for some reason you aren't going to bother posting those. That is reasonably strange behaviour.

Of course, I know that actually, you are have a lot of issues towards feminism and feminists, and so you're hoping someone is going to disagree with the article so you can sink your teeth into a polemic about all that is wrong with the sort of legislation the woman in the article is talking about.

So why wait for someone to take the bait? If you've got something to say, say it! Otherwise this wouldn't be a debate forum, it would merely be a news service.
    Seriously now, you know f*** all about me. You've taken it upon yourself to decide I'm some sexist anti-feminist. I think that says more about your prejudice than anything else. It makes you sound as bad as the types of people want to oppose.

Incidentally I posted this as I thought it was an interesting perspective on a hot subject. I didn't really expect people to go looking for trouble where there was none but perhaps I should have expected it from you.

As for what I was talking about, you assume lots about me, (None of which to date have been correct) and the expression goes "assumptions are the mother of all f***-ups".
    I don't assume anything! What makes you think I have any thoughts about you at all? But why post a link to a story and then refuse to state your thoughts on it? It's a bit, well, odd.

I don't think you're sexist. I think, from the fact you've posted this story and prefaced it with "settle down Germaine", you're not a big fan of feminism. Perhaps I'm wrong...
    You don't assume anything about me?!

So what's this all about...
    Of course, I know that actually, you are have a lot of issues towards feminism and feminists,

..?

And did you miss where I state in the first post that it's not my opinion? Course you did, otherwise you'd have realised you're barking up the wrong tree.
    Ok dude, seriously, chill out. It's just you know, from the "settle down Germaine" thing, plus the way you bit my head off in a different thread when I said that the concept of 'bunny-boiler' might be sexist (NB: the concept, not you), you seem like a guy who's not a big fan of feminists. But like I said, I may be wrong.

And you still haven't bothered to give your opinion on the article. It's all a bit odd.
    I don't have major opinion on feminists, what I do have a problem with is those who take it upon themselves to campaign on behalf of people who suffer from any sort of "-ism" and jump on innocuous comments made by others, implying they are somehow guilty of said "-ism".

As for the link, I don't come in to direct contact with anyone who seems to be suffering from sexism in the workplace however I assumed (Yes, I'm guilty of it too) other on here would, so this was to invite their views.

So please, you've got your current non-view out of the way, how about stepping aside and letting others have a go?
    These new equality laws are being pushed forward by one Harriet Harman. That in itself tells you all you need to know.

In case you aren't familiar with Harperson, all you need to know is that she is a humourless, hypocritical New Labour cunt - a member of the elite, one who seems to thinks the laws of this country don't apply to her. And this woman is our Deputy Prime Minister. God help us - the next time you hear some spiv telling Labour they should get rid of the one-eyed Scottish idiot, just remind yourself that there is someone even worse waiting in the wings ready to take over.

Still, perhaps Hatty will ask the court of public opinion what it thinks of her crap new equality bill. But she won't. If it was up to the court of public opinion, this bill would already be long dead whilst Harman would have been punished by being repeatedly run over by a steamroller.
    I'm not too sure about the length of maternity leave entitlement, but in terms of equality, if this woman is correct, then the best thing that can happen for women is the increase in paternity leave entitlement up to the level of maternity leave, which will be coming in with this new legislation. So if employers know that anyone can be entitled to 12 months off, shared between man and woman, then there is absolutely no excuse to discriminate against potential mothers any more than potential fathers.