Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Injuries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was reading my brother's FHM magazine the other day because I was bored, and there was this section entitled 'What's Wrong With FHM Readers' (I think). And it had nasty pics of guys' limbs ripped apart, gruesome injuries and the like. (Didnt look at the scantily clad girlies pics, mind)

Anyways, I was curious as to what you all have had concerning injuries etc. (Because Im weird like that).
Well I haven't had many gruesome ones but i've had my clumsy moments:

Broken my left wrist twice (falling outta tree / teaching my friend to ride a bicycle and crashed into a wall)

Broken my left elbow (dog fell on my arm) - had to have 2 ops on that to insert pins

Had stitches on my jawline (bitten by a dog)

Had a whole needle in my foot - that reeeally hurt once it moved after a few hours as i didnt actually realise i had a 'stepped' on it(also dog related)

Sliced my hand open - that was really gross actually (dog again...)

Sliced my finger (food processor blade)

Well I think that's it. Can't remember anything else worth mentioning.

So... how about you??

PS What does FHM stand for? I've been wondering that... Is it 'For Horny Men' or something?

Comments

• Options
    Well... After your list of accidents I'm almost ashamed to say I've only broken my collarbone when I was 3 and fell in the bathtub, and my wrist when I was 8, falling down some stairs.
    Nothing really exciting I'm afraid...
  • Options
    few years old - had stomach pumped for swallowing uncles hair dye

5 - 8 inch gash in left leg for tripping over a dolls house

5 - trapped thumb in door

thats it :D
  • Options
    hmmm, I picked up a particularly delightful fungal infection in my foot in America that would have had you running for the hills the minute I pealed my sock off... but you really had to have seen it.

I thought it was athletes foot until 2 months later when my toes turned black and started to fall off in layers. I used to draw a crowd when I was bathing it in disinfectant:

I was given this peroxide stuff to bathe my foot in. Now, if you soak a wound in this stuff, and small tiny bubbles form and rise to the surface, that's supposed to mean the wound is infected. When I poured it on my foot a giant puff of foam would sprout up, like hair mouse!! I'd come to the conclusion I had contracted leprosy at one stage :eek:

It took three courses of strong anti-fungal tablets to get my foot back, by which time my blood had been poisoned, my immune system destroyed and the ensuing bad health flipped my brain chemistry into a fun-filled final year of uni in the company of clinical depression.

Be careful what you tread on in warm climates, my dears.
  • Options
    Well, I've never broken any bones inmy 20 years of existence, this is not because I'm wrapped in bubble-wrap, but due to the fact that I'm so hard you could be forgiven for thinking that I was made completely from iron.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lexxie*
    PS What does FHM stand for? I've been wondering that... Is it 'For Horny Men' or something?

For Him Magazine, which was the original name of the mag, some years ago...

No injuries personally, but I have seen some cool X-rays of strange items inserted into personal places. Oh the joys of working in the NHS...
  • Options
    I to am Unbreakable like kirk. (But I’m not in the same league as him) I never get sick and don't hurt myself, only when drunk but the rule is if you can't feel the pain in the first 8 hours it doesn't count and therefore the slate is wiped clean :p

Just call me superman;)
  • Options
    Got scars on my hands and legs from trying to jump over a barbed wire fence when i was younger!

Fractured my shin bones(?) getting on a bus!

Cut me chin open falling off a metal bench

Scar on me arm from a soldering iron like melting me :rolleyes:

Scar on me leg from when someone dropped a table on me.

Scar on me stomach from a wallpaper steamer

An thats bout it really :)

Oh and when i was a baby, i was on a train and i got my hand stuck in them automatic sliding doors that seperate carriages and it cut the top of me finger off....dont worry though i had it sewed back on! :D
  • Options
    I've never broken anything or done anything major. Just the usual cuts & brusies! :)
  • Options
    Another applicant for the 'Unbreakable' club!!! Never been to hospital (since I was born). Seen a few nasty ones tho!!
  • Options
    I never get sick and don't hurt myself, only when drunk
    Alcoholic then are ya?
  • Options
    Ooh, ooh! *likes this thread*

I injure myself in lots of fun ways... I broke my middle finger playing snap, i went on an activity holiday and managed to break my wrist in the kitchen :rolleyes:. Ummm... I managed to put a piece of glass all the way through my wrist aged 3, while i was trying to fill a milk bottle up with sand (and i was very lucky not to get tetanus too!). I also broke my index and ring fingers playing badminton. Well, actually, not playing badminton, i had been, but then my friend tried to hit me on the arse with her raquet, and i put my hand there, and my fingers went crunch. Oh well. Oh, and i've broken a few toes running into a CD player that was sitting on the floor at my dad's house. On more than one occasion. You'd think i'd learn, wouldn't you?! Finally, i tore ligaments in my knee whilst skiing on a dry ski slope, days before i was due to fly to America to go skiing on real snow.
  • Options
    When I was about 7 I was out on a family day out at a county park thing and me and my sister were running up and down quite a steep hill. (oh the fun). I was running down and tripped and fell flat on my face all the way down the hill, I scraped all my face, arms, and legs all the way down and the ambulance had to come! I had serious lacerations :D

I've had my stomach pumped about 4 years ago after a silly incident involving vodka.

I've never broken anything except 2 fingers playing rounders!

I cut my finger open quite badly though last year at work, there was some glass in the dishwasher and I managed to cut my finger on it and had to have some stitches.

Thats it really!
  • Options
    Never broken a thing except my front tooth when I was little. did drop an argos catalogue, corner first, onto my foot lastnight and I have a massive bruise.
    Keep burning myself in exactly the same place everytime on teh oven.
  • Options
    Hehehe, I'm going to take my moment of glory before someone else sporty posts. My injuries:
    • Strained Hamstring (4 weeks out)
    • Strained groin (3 weeks out)
    • Strained groin (4 and a half weeks out)
    • Broken collar bone (missed Sports Day! Classmates and myself were gutted)
    • Dislocated ankle (had it put back in place with very little anesthetic (Shearer had the same stuff :confused: Fuck that hurt :mad: )
    • Fractured metatarsel - didn't actually hurt that much but still kept me out for 6 weeks
    • Literally a hundered head scars. Face plant on concrete, Nutted a lampost :eek:, Fell out of my high chair (bloody parents) etc etc
    • Scars on both elbows from dry football pitches, bike riding, bunsen burner fights....
    • Scar on my right thigh from a match winning tackle on Astro Turf - ebb'll tell you that ain't bad for a right midfielder
    • The Biggie: Osgood Schaltters Disease. Caused by too much football when your bodies still growing. Similar to Tennis Elbow and a non-permanent form of osteoarthritis. 6 months out, on and off, and I got the lumps below each knee Osgood Schlatters Disease

Beat that then :p - I've probably left some out actually :rolleyes:

I had a medical the other week with physio for my hamstring again :rolleyes: and apparently I've got the knees of a person nearly twice my ages - and major muscle groups are 5-7 years older than the rest of me... I'll be dead soon :( :eek: :mad:
  • Options
    I cant remember any serious injuries I've had, but I'm really squeamish when it comes to seeing blood.

I remember once last year I cut myself shaving my armpit and I fainted, smacking my head off the tiled bathroom floor. Next thing I know I'm in hospital.

I also needed to go to hospital after I smashed my hand through my student flat window when I was unbeleivably drunk. I still got a little scar on my hand as a memento.
  • Options
    I forgot to add about falling on my butt. It was on prom night when i got rather drunk, and fell over when running to a cab.
    Then I got up and it hurt so much that I collapsed, and my friends got into the cab and buggered off! Thanks guys! I had one bloke friend look after me and a massive crowd just watching me lay in the middle of the pavement. Apparently it's not cool to hang around with dead people.
  • Options
    *feels feint!*

im so bad when it comes to blood, just reading this thread has made me feel queesy and im not kidding. fortunate enough to say i have never broken any bones, but have done some things.

*pulled thumb nail off when about 4, got it stuck in the crack of the door
    *tripped over mums feet and smacked head on stone fireplace when about 6/7. started saying really wierd stuff to my mum afterwards, like im going now, see you when youve reached me and stuff like that. kinda scary coming from a 7 year old. had huge cut in head and still have a scar
    *got foot caught in mates bike wheel being stupid one day i realised i could make farting noises by scrapping my foor on the tread of the wheel while having a backy. then my foot got caught, not a nice experience. had my toenails painted red at the time and mum nearly had a heartattack when she took my shoes off to untangle my foot, she thought it was blood. DUH!
    *fell flat on face once from on top of an upturned boat, tripped over the propellor part. smashed face in and was terrified to look in mirror afterwards. blood was litterally squirting from my nose-UGH!
    *was racing my cousin once on my bike when i was about 8, and fell off. was going so fast i slid across the floor and removed all the skin from the right side of my body. had to wear a huge plaster for weeks after for the skin to renew itself.
    *kinda knocked my little finger outta place when playing netball once in school. when to catch the ball and it bounced off the tip of my finger and ever since it looks abit wonky.
    *got about 200 splinters in one hand when i was about four. was running round my garden with my sister and had to hit the fence everytime we lapped the garden. did it so many times that i gathered loads of splinters on the way- somehow without even relaising it at first. dad spent hours that night getting them out with a pair of tweesers.

think thats all but i'll probably get run over by a bus tomorrow, or fall over and break a limb or something now for temting feit!
  • Options
    My injuries...hmmm. Here goes:

* When I was 2 I managed to crush the end of the ring finger on my right hand - a table fell on it! There was a huge bubble of blood at the end of it and the doctors at the hospital had to sort of poke a hole through my nail to pop the bubble and release the blood...or something...and for some reason I couldn't be given an anaesthetic. Fun! The finger in question has been a tiny bit wonky at the end ever since.

* When I was 5 we lived in a house which had a marble sink with very sharp corners in the bathroom. One day I raced into the bathroom at breakneck speed (foolish child *sigh*), slipped on the wet floor and caught my cheek on a sink corner on the way down. I still have a teensy scar.

* When I was 12 my best mate and I were larking about in her garden on one of those slippery slides...anyone know what I'm talking about? Long blue things - you unrolled them down a hill and put a hose at the top in order to create a sort of water slide. To keep the slide in place we'd hammered little metal croquet hoops into it, top and bottom - I slid down and promptly smashed my little toe right into one of the metal hoops. Ouch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego
    Hehehe, I'm going to take my moment of glory before someone else sporty posts. ...

Beat that then :p - I've probably left some out actually :rolleyes:

Fastest mile/half mile double of my track career came the day after breaking two toes by having a shot put dropped onto my foot...

Raced motorcycles professionally, to the international level, for fifteen years. Hit the pavement 19 times from over 100mph (didn't keep track of the slower and relatively soft crashes). Over 100 fractures (got tired of counting), and at least a dozen concussions (diagnosed).

Two big ones... high side crash from just over 100 mph, 500 lb motorcycle still between my legs. Fractured left shoulder socket, collarbone, shoulder blade in three places, four ribs, left hand, right foot, right tibia. Crew bodily lifted me onto the GP class bike, lifted left arm and right foot to the controls, and we finished the day (to win a season's championship by one single point).

The "bigger": had a carbon fiber rear wheel shatter at 180+ mph, 18 fractures, unconscious for ten days. Tried to race again 18 months later, but old age and "discretion" had gotten the best of me.

Was knifed when 16, shot when 17 in Oakland, California. Shot twice in Vn, along with concussions from grenades and artillery.

btw... no "winning" here... just degrees of "losing"... :D Was brought up to accept that if you tread the ragged and crumbling edge of the ledge, running full tilt, occaisionally you will find your way to the bottom of the chasm. Comes with the job... ;)
  • Options
    i've broken a few hearts......
  • Options
    *jumps on the never broken a bone bandwagon*

*touch wood (Lornas head :p...or something else ;)...not something else of Lornas...oh, never mind :o *

I once sliced my finger up cutting this rock hard piece of bread for the birdies (I didn't want them to choke) and missed and sliced my finger. It went purple. It was so cool.

Ooooh, I once went on a vertical slide at this park thing for kids and I was wearing a rather short skirt (fool). Anyway, the slide material obviously did not get on well with my legs (or arse) and I ended up with burns on the backs of my upper thighs (and arse cheeks :o ). I couldn't sit down for a week (or lie in some positions) as it was so painful and uncomfortable. That slide was great though.

And, this didn't happen to me but one of my mates fucked her knee up while attempting to jump over a tennis net. :D I got over it okay. :p
  • Options
    I've never broken an 'important' bone as such. I broke something unimpressive sounding in my arm playing netball and had the odd fracture playing hockey.

I had a window slam down on my finger once, amazingly painful and I had an impressive dent in my finger for a good while.

I was in a foster home for a while and they had really weird stairs that I had a habbit of falling down resulting in many scrapes and bruises. Many a time I would get up to go downstairs for a drink, fall down the stairs and think 'sod it' and fall asleep right there. That happened about three times until they got sick of coming down in the morning screaming 'OH MY GOD SHE'S DEAD!' when in fact I was just plain lazy.

And then the usual scars on knees from playground incidents.
  • Options
    I've never broken a bone as far as I know, which is pretty amazing to people that know me...

I've had a few flesh wounds, but due to being very lucky and blessed with a very high metabolic rate etc, they heal amasingly fast.

I wan once riding down a hill at 23 miles an hour (yes I had a speedo on my bike - until this point when it got smashed :p) The road surface was covered in gravel but fixed to the surface like a cheese grater. The front wheel, came loose, but didn't come right off, instead jamming in the front fork. The bike flipped and landed on top of me and I ended up sliding 5 m down the road. Only wering a pair of shorts at the time I ended up tearing off skin from all over my left arm and elbox, left side of my torso, and left thigh and buttock cheak. After carrying my bike back (to a biker, out bikes are more important than us :D, I couldn't find any bandages, and used 3 boxes of little plasters to try and cover it all - looking like some sort of patchwork quilt. My mum came back later on in the vening, and ripped them all off, and replaced them with some large field style dressings. Then went to the local Health centre, where they ripped them all of again, making a big mess on the floor, complete with blood, tissue and pus :D. They then washed it out with iodine, bandaged me up and gave me all my booster jabs again. If I uncovered my elbox and moved my wrist you could see the individual muscles in the elbox moving :D, I really should have got a a photo :D Unfortunatly I missed a volleyball tournament as a result :(

Other injuries:

Slicing one finger open with a craving knife while young.
    Fencing, and an oponent's sword went through the jacket, slicing up along my right arm and round my shoulder - That one lasted a good 4 weeks (a record :D)
    And numerous Muscle tears, cuts and bruises etc.
  • Options
    I've never filled this bit in before, I'm wondering what it does.
    Originally posted by RNT

I'd watch out, there were 3 deaths from playing badminton last year :eek:

How is it possible to die playing badminton?

That is going to bother me now.
  • Options
    Erm, now where to begin?

Scar just under my belly - Hernia aged 10 months. :D

Scar on head from being pushed down a flight of stairs while in my buggy age 1 and a half.

Little tiny scars on my fingers from falling down an outside drain aged 2.

Second scar on my head - falling off a wall aged 5.

Broken wrist, rollerblading while playing Power Ranger at about 9 years old.

Scar on my shin from being pushed by a mate into a wall while tying my shoelace 12.

Scar on my upper thigh, same wall, different friend. :D
  • Options
    How many scars?! :eek: *can't be arsed to count*

I have two. *is embarrassed at the pitiful number of scars*
  • Options
    Re: Re: I've never filled this bit in before, I'm wondering what it does.
    Originally posted by RNT

woops sorry that was between 1988-92

Ahhh, cos that makes aaaaaaaalllll the difference...:cool:

You could hang yourself with the net, I suppose.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: I've never filled this bit in before, I'm wondering what it does.
    Originally posted by Miss Quoted

Ahhh, cos that makes aaaaaaaalllll the difference...:cool:

You could hang yourself with the net, I suppose.

You could get hit on the head by a racquet?

Major injuries? I tried to make love to a chair at aged 6, but recieved a corner to the chin. That made a nice big hole, leaving a dinky lil scar.

Erm. Got friendly with a go-kart in Gran Canaria, which is only just finishing healing. That's gonna leave a scar down the back of my leg, which is really attractive. Oh well, no one checks me out anyway. (See other thread that is about to be posted...)

Erm...I've never broken a bone (*touches Lorna's head, even though he doesn't know who Lorna is, but everyone else seems to be doing it*). The usual assortment of scratches and scrapes.

*shrugs* I'm pretty boring really.
  • Options
    Never sick never injured.

Although when I was five I was going toilet and the toilet seat fell down and smacked me on the teeth. All my front upper teeth went a really black colour and stayed like that for about 6 weeks.

The Dentist had nevr seen anything like it and could see no problem with them other than the colour
  • Options
    Meh, you guys are such wimps - call those injuries?
    This is from a guy on another discussion forum:

Never had a Skirmish injury.......yet
    have broken:
    Skull (3)
    Stirrup (yes the bone in your ear)
    Vertibra (1)
    Ribs (12+)
    Scapula (1)
    Humourous (1)
    Radius (2)
    Ulna (1)
    Carpal (6)
    Meta-Carpal (12)
    Scaefoid (3)
    Lower Mandible (1)
    Clavical (1)
    Ischious Tuberosity (bit of the pelvis)
    Dislocated Hip
    Femur (1)
    Patella (1) dislocated (2)
    Knees hyperextended (2)
    Tibia (2)
    Fibia (1)
    Tarsals (3)
    Phalanges (8)
    plus various assorted soft tissue injurys, concussions, stitches and skin removal type things
    Mountain biking, rugby, american football, parachuting and being a clumsy fk can add up over the years

lot of enthusiasm and no skill = Amateur Stuntman