Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ryanair - complete bastards?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Because often it doesn't, and because there is this little thing call dignity and self-respect. Which sadly too many people are prepared to forfeit nowdays.

And that's why we can choose to shop around. You really are on your high horse about this one, Aladdin. It's got nothing to do with dignity and self-respect and you know that. Its aeroplane, ffs! It's not an open topped bus where everyone has to travel naked with nipple clamps and batteries attached to their genitals!!! :p
  • Options
    And in my book at least, being charged for the toilet is while being inside an aeroplane is denigrating, morally repugnant and humiliating.

That seems a little over sensitive. Do you get this upset when you have to to go to the toilet in a shopping centre or train station?

I can understand what you're saying, but what you've got to understand is that companies like Ryanair have made air travel a possibility for people who just can't afford to fly with the big name airlines. By charging customers for the services they use means that people can afford to go places that they normally couldn't, and they can choose how little they want to spend getting there. They can make the decision not to have a cup of tea on the plane. They can pack light or just take hand luggage. They can go to the toilet in the airport and cross their legs ON THE FLIGHT if they want. They are being given the CHOICE.

Flying with an airline with one set price means that people are paying for services that they may never use. Even worse, the fixed price brings about the culture of 'well I've paid my money so I might as well get the most out of it', so people take advantage of as much 'free' stuff as they can, which drives the price up. Charging customers for what they use seems a fantastically fair way of doing it.

I have to applaud budget airlines for the service they offer at the prices available. My parents recently flew to visit me for a few days - train and car journey times were too long for such a short stay and the other airlines were very expensive so they flew with Easyjet. They had to fly to a city 20 miles away and catch a train from there. They took a backpack to take advantage of the cheaper fare and didn't bother with any refreshments on the plane. They could have the worst service in the world (actually they remarked that the service was fantastic) and it wouldn't matter, because they were being given the opportunity to visit me which otherwise they wouldn't have been able to do. The end.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    And that's why we can choose to shop around. You really are on your high horse about this one, Aladdin. It's got nothing to do with dignity and self-respect and you know that. Its aeroplane, ffs! It's not an open topped bus where everyone has to travel naked with nipple clamps and batteries attached to their genitals!!! :p

Wow I'd pay extra for that! :eek:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Wow I'd pay extra for that! :eek:

Please, don't give Ryanair the idea or Aladdin will actually have something worthy to get upset about ... !!!! :lol:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    That seems a little over sensitive. Do you get this upset when you have to to go to the toilet in a shopping centre or train station?

I can understand what you're saying, but what you've got to understand is that companies like Ryanair have made air travel a possibility for people who just can't afford to fly with the big name airlines. By charging customers for the services they use means that people can afford to go places that they normally couldn't, and they can choose how little they want to spend getting there. They can make the decision not to have a cup of tea on the plane. They can pack light or just take hand luggage. They can go to the toilet in the airport and cross their legs ON THE FLIGHT if they want. They are being given the CHOICE.

Flying with an airline with one set price means that people are paying for services that they may never use. Even worse, the fixed price brings about the culture of 'well I've paid my money so I might as well get the most out of it', so people take advantage of as much 'free' stuff as they can, which drives the price up. Charging customers for what they use seems a fantastically fair way of doing it.

I have to applaud budget airlines for the service they offer at the prices available. My parents recently flew to visit me for a few days - train and car journey times were too long for such a short stay and the other airlines were very expensive so they flew with Easyjet. They had to fly to a city 20 miles away and catch a train from there. They took a backpack to take advantage of the cheaper fare and didn't bother with any refreshments on the plane. They could have the worst service in the world (actually they remarked that the service was fantastic) and it wouldn't matter, because they were being given the opportunity to visit me which otherwise they wouldn't have been able to do. The end.
    Let's be absolutely clear here: Ryanair does very well indeed without having to charge for the toilets, and does NOT need to do so to continue to offer cheap flights.

That so many of their customers are so willing to jump through every hoop, no matter how absurd and uncalled for, that that attention-seeking greedy scumbag of a chairman comes up with, is really soul destroying. If they had any backbone or self respect, they would simply boycott or threaten to boycott the airline if it went ahead and charged for the use of toilets. And you know what would happen? Ryanair would not introduce the charge, and the flights would remain at the same prices they are now.

But not only most customers don't complain about it, it seems many actually defend the bastards. I mean, WFT? :confused:

In a way I cannot blame O'Leary for trying, if making the most money possible by all means necessary was my sole concern. Here he has himself a customer base so desperate for a cheap deal there is nothing they will complain to. Won't be long before he starts charging for the use of oxygen masks in an emergency.

Christ. If this is what capitalism really is about, give me Pol Pot any time.
  • Options
    But look - people are telling you that as a matter of fact, they don't find it demeaning or deleterious to their self-respect to pay to use the toilet.

And then again, even if they did, who are you to say that they ought to value their self-respect highly enough to pay more to an airline that will treat them better?

It's just not your place to impute all this moral baggage on to people's free choices. I will take all your points about how Ryanair's advertising ought to be more honest - that is undoubtedly true. But to tell rational adults that they ought to take something as an affront to their self-respect, when as a matter of fact they don't, is paternalistic in the extreme.

Some people actively like to be humiliated and degraded. Who are you to say they shouldn't?
  • Options
    Oh I don't have a problem with that... I do respect those who actively seek out to be humiliated... whatever floats their boat and all that. I just find it sad that consumers find themselves defending morally reprehensible practices by businesses, practices that, IMO, do not arise out of necessity at all but of pure, naked greed.

Obviously we're not going to agree but flying Ryanair in its present state is certainly something I wouldn't be prepared to do, so I think I shall leave this discussion at this point.

I can still hope one day Ryanair will feel full force of the Advertising Standards and Fair Trading offices (fat chance, but we can dream).
  • Options
    Oh I don't have a problem with that... I do respect those who actively seek out to be humiliated... whatever floats their boat and all that. I just find it sad that consumers find themselves defending morally reprehensible practices by businesses, practices that, IMO, do not arise out of necessity at all but of pure, naked greed.

And the other airlines operate as charities do they? In my opinion the prices offered by more expensive airlines are far more greedy. If Ryanair can offer flights at such discounted prices, what excuse can the big name airlines have for charging so much more? Greed. It's what businesses operate on.

TBH I'd rather pay £1 for the toilet, than double the ticket price for services I won't even use.
  • Options
    Let's be absolutely clear here: Ryanair does very well indeed without having to charge for the toilets, and does NOT need to do so to continue to offer cheap flights.

That so many of their customers are so willing to jump through every hoop, no matter how absurd and uncalled for, that that attention-seeking greedy scumbag of a chairman comes up with, is really soul destroying. If they had any backbone or self respect, they would simply boycott or threaten to boycott the airline if it went ahead and charged for the use of toilets. And you know what would happen? Ryanair would not introduce the charge, and the flights would remain at the same prices they are now.

But not only most customers don't complain about it, it seems many actually defend the bastards. I mean, WFT? :confused:

In a way I cannot blame O'Leary for trying, if making the most money possible by all means necessary was my sole concern. Here he has himself a customer base so desperate for a cheap deal there is nothing they will complain to. Won't be long before he starts charging for the use of oxygen masks in an emergency.

Christ. If this is what capitalism really is about, give me Pol Pot any time.

Some people cannot AFFORD to boycott Ryanair, if they want to go on holiday. If Ryanair were using child labour, or somehow harming people in any way, then maybe it would be worth boycotting them. But just because you have to pay a quid to go to the loo?? What a waste of time!
  • Options
    Yes, low-cost airlines did this by such moves as providing 'free seating', no free meals or drinks, no loyalty points, departures from minor airports, etc.

This was part of the original no-frills package, and such airlines did well out of this.

To, after all these years of successful business, start charging for such fundamental services as using the fucking toilet on a plane, checking in at the airport or even having checked luggage is move motivated by pure, naked greed and nothing to do with a need to survive as a business. Such measures markedly deteriorate the travelling experience of passangers, some of whom are far too willing to renounce esential services for the sake of (sometimes) a cheaper flight, and there is a danger other airlines might adopt it too, harming the travelling experience of us all.

Bear in mind they don't actually charge for toilet use - though they might in the future - so it can't really be used as an argument. But yeah they markedly deteriorate the travelling experience of passengers by making it much cheaper. It seems a fundamental freedom to choose whether they go for a cheaper flight or something more comfortable. Me - I'm with the comfort, but then I'm a senior civil servant married to a someone pretty high in a medical reseacrch company, not a single Mom wanting a cheap flight for a rare week away with friends.

Some other airlines will adopt it - aiming for the single Mums, others will continue to charge more (making a nice profit - probably more than Ryan Air) by aiming at me.
  • Options
    Bear in mind they don't actually charge for toilet use - though they might in the future - so it can't really be used as an argument.

A lot of their ideas are stunts to generate free publicity. Somehow the negative press must work! :lol:
    Me - I'm with the comfort, but then I'm a senior civil servant married to a someone pretty high in a medical reseacrch company, not a single Mom wanting a cheap flight for a rare week away with friends.

Exactly. Aladdin needs to realise that different products are aimed at different types of people. Not everyone is the same. Some people just cannot afford expensive air fares, so they are willing to sacrifice luxuries.
  • Options

And in my book at least, being charged for the toilet is while being inside an aeroplane is denigrating, morally repugnant and humiliating.

You want to try pissing into an empty Coke bottle in aisle 23a :p

Serioulsy though, i hate Ryanair. To deal with that I dont travel with them! Simple. :thumb: