Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Royal Mail strikes go national

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8296660.stm

This on the back of news that Royal Mail has lost its massive Amazon account, due to the latter having had enough.

This could be the beginning of the end for Postman Pat...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At which point will the goverment step in and sort out this mess?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8296660.stm

This on the back of news that Royal Mail has lost its massive Amazon account, due to the latter having had enough.

This could be the beginning of the end for Postman Pat...

The people who now deliver for Amazon are absolutely bobbins.
  • Options
    I wondered why I had to sign for my book just now :chin:.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Postman Pat...
    What about his black-and-white cat??

I just think the strikes are stupid, they will still have to deliver the mail when they go back to work :rolleyes: and I know they'll be paid more... but they will have more to deliver because they went on strike.
    X
  • Options
    royal mail is not supposed to make money, it is supposed to deliver the post that isn't commercially viable which it is obliged to which is why it doesn't make as much as other postal companies. mr alan johnson, former general secretary of the cwu has done fuck all about the plight of royal mail under ill considered business targets either.

mandelsonjoker.jpg
  • Options
    The people who now deliver for Amazon are absolutely bobbins.
    Agreed. I'm VERY FED UP of having to drive to Morley between 9am and 12 noon on a Saturday morning to collect quite small parcels because the Home Delivery Network seem unable to open the front door of the block of flats and leave it with the post like the postman does, and also seem incapable of a) rearranging redelivery on a Saturday and b) having their depot open at NORMAL TIMES.

I hate Home Delivery Network :( even if you pay for Amazon delivery now they use Shitty Link.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Agreed. I'm VERY FED UP of having to drive to Morley between 9am and 12 noon on a Saturday morning to collect quite small parcels because the Home Delivery Network seem unable to open the front door of the block of flats and leave it with the post like the postman does, and also seem incapable of a) rearranging redelivery on a Saturday and b) having their depot open at NORMAL TIMES.

I hate Home Delivery Network :( even if you pay for Amazon delivery now they use Shitty Link.

What I hated about HDN was that when I was in my old house, they would put my parcels over the 6ft fence we had. The trouble with this is that by the fence we had lots of nettles (we weren't gardeners!) and they would still put them there in the rain too. I once complained to amazon who gave me a voucher as compensation. I also once sent some flowers to my nan via city link and they put a 'sorry you were out' card through the house 3/4 doors down which was obviously not lived in, even though I put the correct address. We didn't realise until I complained that the flowers hadn't arrived and complained.

The problem with the whole system is that there are no viable alternatives. I can honestly say, though, I have never had a problem with Royal Mail. Other couriers, yes.
  • Options
    I know the strikes will further annoy people but I'm with the posties on this one. The mail is an integral, fundamental public service, and far too much emphasis is put on profit IMO.

One of the major reasons of complaint by the posties is the closing of sorting office after sorting office. Not only this is highly inconvenient for millions of customers but it also reduces effectiveness in the delivery of mail. Our local posties at work now that to depart from a sorting office several miles away, instead of working from the local one. And all to save a few quid. It's no way to run the service.