Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I want to leave this country (related to conkers)

Conkers to be banned. How more fucked up can my country get? Somebody please get me out of my misery and move me to Germany or Hawaii :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1060708.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That report is almost 9 years old...
  • Options
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

I'd take anything the Daily Mail says with a large pinch of salt. Especially after reading the whole page of ITS PC GONE MAD! comments below it.

There are more pressing issues in the world.
  • Options
    And yet, it is precisely this kind of people who complain about "PC gone mad" (PC has fuck all to do with H&S, incidentally) who would rush their child to the first ambulance chasing solicitor firm on sight to get compensation from the school if the kid had got injured.

Perhaps if people stopped acting like greedy cunts and seeing financial gain oportunity at every possible juncture, schools and councils would not have to introduce draconian measures to protect themselves from costly compensation claims.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever played a game of conkers...
    X
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Yeah,
    The survey, by Robinson's Fruit Shoot, shows that parents believe today's 'cotton-wool culture', in which children are molly-coddled and not allowed to take any risks, is to blame.

And that's the entire content of that article. I imagine similar numbers think that there's too much immigration and sex education leads to promiscuity. It doesn't make it true. It's right up there with "8 out of 10 women said their hair felt more nourished" as a statement of fact.

Such things are banned for fear of being sued, not because of regulations of the government, or worse still the bogeymen in Brussels. But unless they've got evidence of hopscotch and skipping being banned, it's a complete non-story.
  • Options
    Parents say one thing, but they always do another. They're the first to ring up demanding justice if their little darling is pushed over at school in a fight, but the first to always say "let's put this in perspective" if it's their kid who started it.

Parents who never let their kid accept responsibility for their own actions are to blame for things that are happening now.
  • Options
    The main problem is the change in legal aid. The government wanted to cut costs so it removed legal aid for civil claims and brought in 'no win no fee'. The problem is now that this has drastically increased the amount of silly claims and councils and other public bodies have to go out of their way to avoid it.

So yes some things do get 'banned' but not because of political correctness or health and safety but because its cheaper than getting endless claims. Solicitors know full well that it is more expensive to defend a claim than it is to pay out, so as long as its under a few grand they do.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And yet, it is precisely this kind of people who complain about "PC gone mad" (PC has fuck all to do with H&S, incidentally) who would rush their child to the first ambulance chasing solicitor firm on sight to get compensation from the school if the kid had got injured.
    Ha, have you seen that Stewart Lee stand up bit where he talks about how there's a whole generation of people who have got confused between political correctness and health and safety legislation? It's awesome. "They wouldn't let me have a cup of tea at the hairdressers, in case it upset a Pakistani. I can't put my electric fire in the bath any more in case the queers see it" :D

Oh here it is, it's amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo