Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Scottish idiot throws his toys out of the pram

No, this isn't about the Prime Mentalist, but rather...

"The SNP may take legal action if Alex Salmond is not allowed to take part in a UK party leader TV debate ahead of the next General Election. The BBC, ITV and BSkyB jointly proposed three live debates between the Labour, Tory and Liberal Democrat leaders. SNP Finance Secretary John Swinney said going to court was not being ruled out, but said it was more preferable to come to an agreement with the broadcasters."

Says the Beeb, anyway. Well, there's another politician to add onto the list. I used to like Alex Salmond - the way he stuck two fingers up at Broon, the way he ran things his own way in Scotland. Not anymore. This threat shows him up to be like most of our politicians - mainly that he is vain in the extreme. Salmond, in case you haven't noticed, you're not applying to be Prime Minister of this country. Bloody hell, at this rate, they're going to have to step up production of piano wire...

Over to you and this leaders debate thingy...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this boils down to a bigger issue. Do we keep humouring Scotland, let them keep their parliament and the illusion that they've got some power, and keep propping them up financially or do we
    A)Disband it completely, and the Welsh Assembly, remind them that they are part of Britain and leave it at like that.
    B)Let them keep their parliament but cut them off completely. Financially, politically and militarily? The UK will become the United Kingdom of England, Wals and Northern Ireland or something. It's what most of them seem to want, do they think Scotland can survive without the rest of the UK propping it up?

This guy needs to rejoin reality. He is a small fish in a very big pond, with no vested interest anyway, what right does he have to think he can join them?
    Whowhere wrote: »
    A)Disband it completely, and the Welsh Assembly, remind them that they are part of Britain and leave it at like that.

Sometimes it feels like the English need to be reminded that they're part of Britain too.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    B)Let them keep their parliament but cut them off completely. Financially, politically and militarily? The UK will become the United Kingdom of England, Wals and Northern Ireland or something. It's what most of them seem to want, do they think Scotland can survive without the rest of the UK propping it up?

Remember that Scotland has most of the oil and gas reserves which they will insist of taking control of if they go for independence.

There won't be much need for a large army because they will be protected under EU treat from aggression. However, there are an awful lot of Scots in the British army ... so there would be a substantial effect there.

The crazy thing is that if one was to test Scottish DNA, we're all mixed up anyway. What's the point of dividing a tiny island over 'historical' differences in the 21st century? Its got to be stronger for all of us to have all of us sticking together.

If they do decide to go independent, the first thing the rest of the country must do is get rid of ridiculous BST. Let them sit in the dark for half the year.
    Am I the only one who thinks if Scotland became an independent nation the already prominent sectarian differences and problmes would come to a head, and Glasgow would end up like Belfast in the bad old days?
    I don't know if its likely but it certainly is possible, I suppose.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks if Scotland became an independent nation the already prominent sectarian differences and problmes would come to a head, and Glasgow would end up like Belfast in the bad old days?

That's a fair point actually... And I can see that happening...

I mean, Ireland still have their problems and it was years ago. I don't think Scotland should become an independant nation tbh!
    X
    I don't think we should be independant, I don't see why we *have* to be either
    The first thing i read was "Scottish idiot" and was instantly interested. First of all... why call him a 'Scottish idiot'? Why not just 'idiot'?

because he's scottish...
    X
    I'm an English man living in Wales.
    Wales could not survive let alone thrive ...without English money.
    The trend in the world is for bigger ...not smaller and more fragmented.
    Think European Union ...African Union ...Asian Union ...North American Union.
    Large trading blocs fewer currencies ...thats what is being put together right now.
    I'm an English man living in Wales.
    Wales could not survive let alone thrive ...without English money.
    The trend in the world is for bigger ...not smaller and more fragmented.

Think Ireland, think Denmark, think Finland, think Norway. There's no reason to think that Wales and Scotland wouldn't survive outside of the UK. I think that EU membership would be essential to avoid going the same way as Iceland, because they lack the natural resources of a country like Norway. They would also undoubtedly suffer a reduction in the standard of living in the short term. But it wouldn't take a massive amount of time for either country to build a strong economy as members of the EU, just like Ireland have done. It's not going to happen any time soon though. The economic crisis will make sure of that.

But it might be a good time to dump them. Keep all the oil, but get all of the debts from all of those Scottish banks.
    OK but why point out the fact that he's Scottish? Nobody would say something like "oh he's an 'English' idiot" if they were talking about an Englishman. I just feel like Scotland is getting blamed and branded for one mans idiotic behaviour. No worried though. We're not all like that! :p x

Because the thread is about Scotland... therefore, with out that information the title would be pointless.
    Also- a lot of people *coughs* any one who votes torrie *coughs* is an idiot. Oh and anyone who votes BNP as well- because that is a wasted vote....
    But you know, a lot of people in every country are idiots!! The point is "scottish idiot" is just saying some poeple in Scotland who are being idiotic. If it just "idot" no one would know what it's about xx
    X
    Aladdin wrote: »

No. Would never happen.
    Has stargalxy taken some crack today?
    The first thing i read was "Scottish idiot" and was instantly interested. First of all... why call him a 'Scottish idiot'? Why not just 'idiot'?

I agree. It makes no difference what nationality he is - just as SG refers to Brown as 'a one-eyed git' or whatever. Its the integrity of the person and not their nationality or disability that is at question.

By the way, before you think that it was anti-Scottish sentimentality by an Englishman, SG is Welsh. ;)
    Teagan wrote: »
    By the way, before you think that it was anti-Scottish sentimentality by an Englishman, SG is Welsh. ;)

You could be welsh and still be anti-Scottish.
    I'm scottish and I'm anti-welsh! Jokes.

Anyhoo, I dunno what to think. I don't care much for Alex Salmond but the idea is interesting. I was speaking to the SNP candidate for our area and he had some good ideas, especially on the environment. It might not be so bad if Scotland was to become an independent nation, we would have control over OUR OWN COUNTRY. I hate the fact that we financially support the monarchy, and would love to see more newspapers that tell us what's actually relevant to us, as opposed to all these rags that don't seem to realise there's life outside London.
    But i don't think we are ready, also I heard that the map was redrawn so that England technically owns Scottish waters and all the oil and that belongs to them. Dunno if thats true or not though.

What i'm sure of is that I'm a patriot to Scotland, (not "Great" Britain, even though that might not go down very well with a few of you!) and I want what's best for it.
    England doesn't actually exist, so can't own anything. Anyone who doesn't know the difference between England and the UK is not worth debating with on this subject.
    My view on this Scottish indepedence debate is that it's largely a peripheral issue. In this very globalised world, I think we're better as a United Kingdom than as four seperate countries. I do think that the Welsh and Scottish need to pay for their own destinies more and be given more control over their own countries, but generally I think the UK should be here to stay.
    MrG wrote: »
    Has stargalaxy taken some crack today?
    No. You offering? :p
    OK but why point out the fact that he's Scottish? Nobody would say something like "oh he's an 'English' idiot" if they were talking about an Englishman.
    Possibly a fair point. Let's say that I was asked to provide my opinion on Steven Gerrard, for example - the temptation to describe him as an arrogant over-paid Scouse cunt, rather than an English cunt, would almost certainly prove too much.

Nonetheless, no offence to Scotland was intended - regular posters will be aware that I quite like the Scots. Mainly on the grounds that they're not English, but I digress. :p
    You could be welsh and still be anti-Scottish.
    I'm scottish and I'm anti-welsh! Jokes.

Thanks Captain Obvious! ;) I do know that.

But then what?