Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

crap mattress - do i have the right to an exchange?

last week I splashed out a lot of money on a new bed. It was delivered yesterday. Its this one http://www.mattressman.co.uk/snuggle_beds/mattresses/mattresses/super_king/P9528S0L/charcool_memory_cool_zone.aspx

The blurb is that its supposed to have a special layer that keeps you cool etc.
We had a go on one in the shop and it felt lovely. Very firm and supportive.

The one delivered, is a lot more squashy. it really sinks in, more than I was expecting. I also got really really hot in the night and it was hard to get comfortable. I know this can be a problem with memory foam mattresses, but this one was supposed to be a special cool layer one without that problem.

i went back to the shop this morning and told them I didnt like the mattress and why. They said theyd have to speak to head office

Later they called me and said they wouldnt be able to exchange it as they would never be able to sell the mattress as new again, because id slept on it. He said stuff like "buyer beWARE"

Can they do this? How am I supposed to know if the mattress is ok without sleeping on it?
Im gutted after spending £500 on it
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take your complaint to the head office directly. It does sound as though you have a sub-standard mattress, if it's vastly different to the show model (which let's face it would have had wear and tear). That could maybe be considered defective? Speak to some place like the CAB maybe.

Olive knows a lot about mattresses, maybe she can add something.
    Unfortunately the exchange situation is pretty standard on mattresses. When I worked for a furniture company our mattresses had huge stickers telling the customers to try their mattress out first without unwrapping it, cause once you sleep on it, it's not fit for resale and they won't take it back. It's a health and safety thing, same as how you can't exchange pants sometimes. That's how they get round it.

That said, if you expected a firm mattress, and you got a soft one, I'd carry on arguing your case, cause it's not a case of you just not liking it, it's actually not what you ordered! I'm pretty sure than falls into a different section of your consumer rights.

I would say that 90% of mattress "technology" is bollocks. I would also be very hesitant to buy a memory foam mattress, having worked in the trade. They're generally much less comfy than they're marketed as, and a lot of them don't conform to residential fire safety standards, cause they're classed as a medical aid, rather than a soft furnishing. Give me springs any day of the week!
    because its a foam mattress, it came vacuum packed, so that would have been impossible.
    The guy said that if i think its really different to the one in the shop after about a week, then theyd get someone to come and have a look at it.
    I cant see it all of a sudden becoming firm, so i might do that if i dont get used to it.
    Im also pissed off that its marketed as being a cool feeling mattress, when it got uncomfortably warm in the night
    Good point on the vacuum packing! Although you have tried the model out in a shop, so it should be identical (where I worked there was no showroom, so the trying was important!).

I'd definitely ask them to send someone out. There's a big difference between you just not liking it, and it being vastly different to what you ordered.

I wouldn't hold out much hope on the coolness, though. By their nature foam mattresses are usually much warmer than sprung because there's no air circulation. The marketing thing sounds pretty sketchy to me. But again, that's not as advertised, so I'd try to argue your case on that one too :)