Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Would you...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you get up and leave EVERYTHING and go and live in another country or a different city? just wondering cos I really want to do it.
Im at uni at the mo and after only a year I want to leave and go and travel, or just move away. Id leave my family, my firends, and my uni....I just dont like it anymore where I live...I havent got the guts and was just wondering if *seriously* you would consider it?? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    If I could afford it and if I had the balls, I would do it in a second...

Either Japan or California...Its a dream of mine and will happen within the next 5 years.
  • Options
    Well I'm currently living away from home on my own and it ain't much fun, but then i love Nottingham and my social life back there so in my case its understandable :) but its very very lonely sometimes :(
  • Options
    Yeah i've got the feeling in my gut sometime that make me want to stop everything and just go!

leave everything behind and just go see the world

I find the feeling normal go away when I Sober up and realise it cost money and time and effort to make that happen, so i just forget about it (i'm so lazy)

I hope you do it ,and enjoy yourself (be careful if you do it)

I think its one of those idea that sound great in your mind but you shouldn't try them. maybe i'm just a wimp and wouldn't last more then a few days on my own (well until my bank blance run's out).
  • Options
    Thats a kinda difficult question, because it really depends on the situation. is it that your not enjoying uni, or that you dont want to go on with your education or what?

Personally, Id say that i could only do that - stop my education, up and travel - if it was the only thing i wanted to do. Maybe after uni I might, but not before, because I know that if i did leave education now theres nothing that would guarantee that Id go back.

In a few days theres the possibility that I might have to face the problem of going to another city to live, but thats not really coparable, as all itll mean is going a few months before I intended to anyway.

To be honest with you, I really dont think you should do it if you have any doubts about it. If I were you I'd only be able to make that drastic a change in my life if I was ABSOLUTELY certain that it was the right descision

Not very helpful I know, but hey...
  • Options
    Harmless Steve Wright is a DJ who worked for radio 1 a while back, he can now be found on radio 2 ;)

Hiphopchick, i may be wrong here, but if it was you asking about the scooter song the answer is 'the locigal song' by supertramp :)
  • Options
    I would do it in a heartbeat if I could always come back to the US.

First choices: England, Australia ('cause I'm lazy and don't want to learn another language :p) or France cause I speak the language decently.

It would be refreshing to see the world through another perspective. Although the US is very multicultural, it also tends to force the generic American values on everyone.
  • Options
    I've been in France since October, living on my own, my own, my own......

anyway its cool ive got 10 days left, I havent bought my ticket, Ive packed one huge suitcase but it looks like I still have a flatfull to stuff somewhere......

Its been a rewarding experience, Ive learnt alot about myself (I could make a good teacher according to my students) and now I've done this uni doesnt really seem so daunting. My only regret is I havent made any real good friends:(

Im just getting used to bieng round the corner from Paris, and I am tempted to stay, find a job an stuff, its a lovely city to be young free and single in. I reckon I'll be a bit at a loose end when I come back, but I dont think my mum will be too pleased if I decide to stay, she's been counting down the days till my return! I also have to see the end of Big Brother

Um basically HipHop its not a decision to take too quickly, it needs alot of planning, although dont be a sayer and not a doer, if your sure, go for it:)
  • Options
    i think, eventually i will live away from home. like far away.
    this year after my A-levels im taking a year out, but im just staying at home and saving loadsa money for uni. im going to america for a month or so in january hopefully, and im thinking about doing the inca trail trek next may. i defintely want to go to uni tho. i toyed with the idea of going to uni in the states but its just too expensive. i think though, after i get my degree,i defintely want to travel and settle somewhere else just to see how i would like living away from home. i think cos ive been to america a few times and have loved it i think i can see myself living there for however long when im older.
    or i would live in england because i lived there for 5 years before when i was younger and i think there are just more job oppurtunities for the industry i want to get into...
    i mean, if you lived where i live, you would use any excuse to get out of this town
  • Options
    Well, if you are motivated to do it then you should, you can always go back to uni in a couple of years!

Don't do it at the drop of a dime though. I am currently finishing my 3rd year of uni (of 4) and am considering working abroad for a couple of years to consider what I really want to do with my life.

I have kept saying year after year "what career do I want to do" and I have come to realise I don't know and I won't any time soon, so I am going to do somthing I will remember for the rest of my life and give me time to consider where I am going next.

Well, that's my plan for the next few years, hope it inspires you!
  • Options
    Being a squaddie brat im used to moving city/country but i've lived in Bristol for the last 5 years and these days i'd only have the balls to move city not country! :)
  • Options
    I am planning to do that when I am finished with high-school... Planning to go to Israel, and even though I have family there it will be hard with totally new settlements (planning to do the army there).

After that I want to go to uni, everywhere else (almost) than Denmark though. We have a shitty uni system, and I would like to get my education from somewhere, where that kind of education has some value to it, and is useful.

So unless there are problems on the bankaccount, then that's definitely my plan.