Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cleaning coffee makers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any tips? We have some old as sin industrial looking coffee maker at work. I doubt it has ever been cleaned and anything that comes out of it tastes like sweaty ass that has been sitting in mud and farts. I know we don't get the best coffee but I know it isn't as gross as the way it tastes at work.

Any tips on how to give it a good ol cleaning? I looked at it today and can't figure out if it can be taken apart and I'd prefer not do to that anyhow or we would end up with no coffee at work. Perhaps if you just pour something in where the water goes? But what... :chin:

Though I doubt anything less powerful than some industrial strength melts metal cleaner would work :p

Comments

• Options
    It looks exactly like this one (but grosser) It might be that one they look so similar

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens4979372module36777672photo_12436890144cof.jpg

I know the best option is to break it but they won't even buy us paper plates and cutlery so we'd be left with nothing. I'm surprised we are allowed pens and aren't told to write in our own blood.
  • Options
    You can buy special coffee maker cleaner which you run through the system as if you were making coffee
  • Options
    What Kangy said. No need for a step-by-step guide.

Or you can do it with distilled (white) vinegar.
  • Options
    I'll try vinegar, thanks! Not spending my own money on coffee cleaner :p
  • Options
    White/distilled vinegar, sometimes called spirit. Don't use the brown/malt stuff coz it stains. :)
  • Options
    Oh Rubberskin, you are always so good with tips like this. Thank you very much! I found some vinegar at work and did that. I had drinkable coffee at work for the first time since I've started over 2 years ago. :heart:
  • Options
    Hurrah ! Well do it every 3/4 weeks to keep it clean. Distilled vinegar is also brill at keeping your washing machine clean :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I run vinegar through my espresso maker. It also works in kettles too because you're targeting the same type of material - limescale. Once done with the vinegar, you must run water through the maker, say 4 times, so that you don't get vinegar-tasting coffee :-)