Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abusive relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would a person shouting in your face, making you feel stupid, pushing you about, calling you names and treating you like rubbish be classed as an abusive relationship? Sorry if that sounds daft! I would just asumme that an abusive relationship is like violence etc..

Comments

• Options
    Smartie wrote: »
    Would a person shouting in your face, making you feel stupid, pushing you about, calling you names and treating you like rubbish be classed as an abusive relationship? Sorry if that sounds daft! I would just asumme that an abusive relationship is like violence etc..

Most definitaly.
  • Options
    Yes, definitely.

Relationships don't have to be violent to be abusive.

All domestic violence is abusive, not all abuse is violent.
  • Options
    Without doubt.

I was in an abusive relationship for years, and the worst thing about it was the psychological abuse, the ways he belittled me and undermined my confidence and made me feel worthless and so dependent on him.

The cuts and bruises healed much more quickly than the mental wounds did.
  • Options
    I'd say it's abusive too.
  • Options
    I agree.
  • Options
    definately abusive.
  • Options
    Can i just chime in and say some guy's have serious difficulty expressing themselves and don't mean to come over like that but can't help it..

I've never pushed anyone or hit anyone etc but i've been known to loose my temper and shout a lot..
  • Options
    Yes most definetly. An abusive relationship is not just about violence; abuse can also be mental. Both physical and mental abuse are unacceptable. Just because violent behaviour is more tangible does not mean that it is worse than mental abuse; they can both be just as destructive.

I would advise anyone to get out of an abusive relationship as soon as they possibly can and to seek help immediately.
  • Options
    Mr CW wrote: »
    Can i just chime in and say some guy's have serious difficulty expressing themselves and don't mean to come over like that but can't help it..

I've never pushed anyone or hit anyone etc but i've been known to loose my temper and shout a lot..

Just because they can't help it... does not mean it's correct behaviour.
  • Options
    Nothing I can add to that, everyone else has already said it all for me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Mr CW wrote: »

Also, there's a big difference between losing your temper and shouting (which I wouldn't think is "abusive") and calling the other names or putting them down (which is).
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    Just because they can't help it... does not mean it's correct behaviour.

And your saying you practice perfect behaviour all the time? 24/7?..

I'm just pointing out from my own experience that sometimes the guy may not be at fault.. i know i've said some horrid things in the past to people after i've been wound up enough or if i've been backed into a corner.

I'm not saying that's the case with the OP and this thread.. just in general.

It's unfair that someone who may make a mistake once would get branded as an abusive partner.
  • Options
    I dont think the OP is talking about a one time occurence losing your temper and saying something you regret, more like a partner who gets angry often and does everything to belittle their partner using words or violence, usually to make themselves feel better and have the control
  • Options
    Maybe my old age and ex g/f always pointing the finger at me has just got me a tad defensive. lol.
  • Options
    Yeh Sorry Mr CW!, i was referring to psychological abuse that the OP was talking about, and how that is not right... not just shouting/losing your temper. I think psychological abuse is the worst, as sometimes it is so subtle it eats away at your sense of self without you realising/ knowing how to stop it.
  • Options
    Abuse has no place in love.An abusive relationship means more than being hit by the person who claims to love or care about you. Abuse can be emotional, psychological, financial,Some abused people feel they cannot leave their relationships because they are economically dependent on them.
  • Options
    Definately abusive .. and it won't change. Get out quick!
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    Yeh Sorry Mr CW!, i was referring to psychological abuse that the OP was talking about, and how that is not right... not just shouting/losing your temper. I think psychological abuse is the worst, as sometimes it is so subtle it eats away at your sense of self without you realising/ knowing how to stop it.

What's abusive is you adding me to facebook and then not talking to me anymore. :lol:
  • Options
    To the OP: You might find it useful to go to the Women's Aid website at www.womensaid.org.uk and have a look at the information there. There is also a page on the website to make sure you know how to clear your tracks on the computer, if you think your partner might see it in the History and get angry.

Otherwise if you're more comfortable talking to someone, you can call the Womens Aid National Helpline on 0808 2000 247. You can talk completely anonymously if you want to, and the women who answer the phones have a good understanding of abusive relationships. They won't pressure you to do anything you're not happy with, but they can give you a friendly ear and some information to think about.

Best of luck.