Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

About to go under...

I've been working in a firm for nearly 7 years which is now on its last leg. A couple of things: The MD has asked us if we could work at half-pay for a couple of months. I'm currently on £15K (about £7.50/hour). If you halve the £7.50, surely it's against the law as the legal minimum pay is £5.73? Secondly, if we all finally get the boot and the company can't afford to pay our redundancies, how can I go about claiming off the government? Is it still rated at 1 week's pay for each year worked?

Thanks.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya
    Sounds like quite a stressful time, facing redundancy is never easy. You're right to find out what your rights are. I'm not sure if you're paid an annual salary if the hourly minimum wage applies - I'd suggest contacting the Acas helpline on 08457 47 47 47 to clarify what you're entitled to at the moment. There's also a National Minimum Wage helpline on 0845 6000 678 and this page gives some useful advice and information.

Good luck :)
    Thanks Spanner. I have just found out that we are going through liquidation process. The company can't pay our redundancy nor our September pay. We only found out on Tuesday too so we only had 2 day's notice before we all got the boot. Apparently, we can claim off the gov't but it takes 12 weeks to process?! As a mortgage payer, do you know what my options are? I have got house insurance but I didn't take out the mortgage protection.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Thanks Spanner. I have just found out that we are going through liquidation process. The company can't pay our redundancy nor our September pay. We only found out on Tuesday too so we only had 2 day's notice before we all got the boot. Apparently, we can claim off the gov't but it takes 12 weeks to process?! As a mortgage payer, do you know what my options are? I have got house insurance but I didn't take out the mortgage protection.

Probably best to contact the helplines. Then consider contacting your mortgage company as soon as possible, especially if you think you will not be able to pay.
    Can someone please check if this letter is OK? I'm trying to claim off the gov't:
    Staffordshire Tax Office
    Blackburn House
    Old Hall Street
    Hanley
    Stoke-On-Trent
    ST1 3BS

Date 28/09/2009

Dear Sir / Madam

Please find enclosed my P45 from previous employer. I am writing as I wish to claim back any money owed to me during the tax year 2009/2010. My firm went under liquidation today. I have worked there 6½ years plus I lost my job with zero notice period. I therefore believe I should have had 6 weeks’ redundancy pay plus the notice period. The firm was unable to pay me this.

My bank account number is ######## (should be 9 digits shouldn't it?)

I would be grateful if you could get back in contact with me upon a decision.

Best wishes
    As of October the first, for over 21's the minimum wage has now gone up 3p to £5.80

That letter sounds ok to me