Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

PR bleed / Colonoscopy

I went to see my doc today as I have been frequently cutting myself in the rear. After the doc's visit, I was told to pass 2 sides of A4 to a secretary who will arrange an appointment with my local general hospital. Aside the pre-typed text were "pr bleed" and "colonoscopy" in handwriting. Apparently, the problem that I have is fairly common. Any idea what it involves when I go to the hospital? I'll be nervous if it's going to be an anal probe!

Many thanks :-)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I'll be nervous if it's going to be an anal probe!

A colonoscopy is essentially a 3 foot fibre optic camera up your arse. Don't worry, though, I've had one and it's not half as bad as you imagine. Plus they generally sedate you and give you a painkiller, so you're fairly comfortable. I found the worst part was the industrial strength laxatives they give you the night before. And even that - not as bad as it sounds.

Definitely worth the discomfort and embarrassment to make sure there's nowt serious going on.
  • Options
    urggg.. i remember having that done they gave me an enema...think i spellt that right.... oh well the second part was the worst they shoved a tiny camera up my bum-oley they dident even offer me pain killers the jammy bougers :crying:
  • Options
    Thanks guys and gals! I looked up enema as I didn't know what it was. Sounds nasty!
  • Options
    Good luck!!

**I read the subject...and then read the bit 'I was told to pass 2 sides of A4' and was like 'pass paper??!! as a stool sample?!'**
  • Options
    Hi Monserrat,

Sound's like your anxious about having the colonoscopy procedure. If you have questions about the procedure or why it is that they are suggesting you have one - how about going back to see your Doctor? They should be happy to answer any questions you have.

You could also check out the video on the NHS direct website that shows you what is involved in a colonoscopy.

Hope this helps. Take care and let us know how you get on - :)
  • Options
    My mum has had one recently and they really aren't that bad. Though she worked herself up that much they had to stop and now have to do it again :rolleyes:

The picolax really isn't nice but it's only for a day or two :)

The nurse who will be with you will generally distract you and talk you through whats going on and what will happen and you can watch the screen if you want to see inside you, it is weird actually seeing it in real life! I've never had it done but been with quite a few patients when I was a student and watched the screen!
  • Options
    Wow thanks everyone! I do worry about the smallest of things, but what everyone have written here have really helped.

My dad rang me tonight for a social call so I mentioned my upcoming scan. He said that he had it done to himself when he was in his mid 20s. He had it diagnosed as heamorriods and his cause was down to stress as he was taking his uni finals at the time. Seems to be quite common too.

As I don't like blood and guts, I probably won't want to see the footage *eek* :-)
  • Options
    To follow up, I had a pre-colonoscopy today:

It wasn't as bad as I thought in the end. It wasn't a fibre-optic scan but I was naked apart from my top (and socks lol), laid down for some time while instruments were used. Not more than 5-7cm deep though. It hurt a fair bit. Afterwards, we discussed diet. Most of the stuff I was doing was right, but potatoes are apparently a big no-no! I never knew that. The main thing is to keep up with the fruit and I believe I eat plenty of fruit. I was then discharged then I went to the chemist to buy some "Sudocrem" to help me heal. Even at this point, I wasn't told what my injury was (other than it being self-inflicted) but I have a follow-up appointment in 3 month's time.

Thanks for the support guys :-)