Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

weed addiction!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So i've smoked weed for about 10 years now. I really want to quit not only for financial and health reasons. It makes me lazy and unmotivated, also i tend to loose my trail of though mid conversation.

I have no problem with not smoking it, i genually want to stop. Although i can't sleep if i don't have a joint before bed. Insomnia keeps me awake untill about 4am, then i have to be up at work for 6.

This is a really big thing to me, i lost the only person i've ever loved because of smoking (a big part of it anyway).

Has anyone else suffered with this problem? If so how did you get to sleep at night? Please don't suggest sleeping pills as i dont' want to go from one addiction to the other.

Anyone that says weed isn't addictive is full of shit! :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyone that says weed isn't addictive is full of shit! :banghead:

'Addiction' and 'dependence' are two different things to me. So at the risk of being 'full of shit', I would disagree. It's not like heroin. Now THAT is addictive.

But going back to your query. Weed, as you say, can make one lazy and unmotivated. Also, your dependence on it gave you the necessary boost to pass out at night.

So you need to slap yourself across the face and get involved with something like gym, sport etc so that you can use up the energy to tire you out and induce sleep naturally i.e. get more exercise for a start.
    Way ahead of you on that one, already at the gym 3 times a week. Although i'm still having insomnia problems. Any idea how long it will take to get back to normal?
    Since you're exercising a lot already, maybe you could try herbal sleeping pills for a bit, see if they help? Some seem to work better than others, so may be worth experimenting a bit. Other things to try, chamomile tea/cocoa, hot bath, going for a walk to get some fresh air, reading, listening to relaxing music. Guess it's just a case of finding what works for you. Good luck with it.
    Any idea how long it will take to get back to normal?

It took me about 3 weeks to start sleeping properly again. Having said that, I wasnt smoking for as long as you.

No way around it mate, you have to put up with the insomnia, however it will get easier. Perhaps really hammer it in the gym late on a night, in the hope you will be so fucked, you just sleep.

I know whats its like though, trying to get to sleep for hours, thinking if I just have one spliff I will get some decent kip. :D
    I'm sorry I'm not much help with this sort of thing.
    I have never personally taken or used drugs (except medication) so my advice might not help in the slightest.
    Just make sure you don't drink coffee or any other high caffeine drinks and stuff.
    Sorry I'm not much more help.
    x Andy
    But you say your still smoking before bed ....?
    You haven't stopped yet.
    It can't be making you that lazy if you frequent the gym.
    Try smoking tiny little ten pence one skinners ...they usually give you a lot of motivation instead of making you become part of the couch but ...your going to the gym ...your still smoking so don't know what it's like to not ...your not being very consistent here.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I smoked it heavilly for years, used to love it. When I stopped I felt so much better though. I cant even touch it now, I can't enjoy it anymore at all.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    I smoked it heavilly for years, used to love it. When I stopped I felt so much better though. I cant even touch it now, I can't enjoy it anymore at all.

:yes:
    i have the same problem, reading before i sleep helps ALOT!
    Well to also be full of shit lol, weed isn't physically addictive...like smack! Its all in the head...mental addiction! I find people who don't smoke cigs think they're addicted to weed but its the nicotine they're craving not the weed.

I've smoked skunk now for 12yrs I would say and its strange because I'm the opposite when it comes to sleeping.... I find if I have a bifta too close to bedtime then my mind is constantly making up random stories which keep me awake, so I make sure I don't have one before bed if I want to sleep.

I do however suffer from lack of sleep quite often, usually caused by stress or if things are on my mind, whether its work or whatever and I struggle to switch off, once I'm asleep though I'm usually gone!

I've tried many things to help me sleep, I've had tamazepan prescribed and other sleeping tablets from the doctor which do the job, but I'm like you in the way that I don't want to become dependant on pills. So recently I've been trying herbal sleeping remedies and found them to be ok, they won't knock you out to sleep like the prescribed stuff but I find I have decent nights sleep when I take them, the ones I'm using at the moment are Valerium.
    GF's mother also got me some Valerium based tea bags, add boiling hot water, leave for 5 mins take out the tea bag and drink, they seem to work ok as well and don't taste as bad as you might think.
    Well to also be full of shit lol, weed isn't physically addictive...like smack! Its all in the head...mental addiction!

No it's not like smack, Herion IS physically addictive. And the OP said never said anyhting about weed being specifically 'physically' addictive when talking about people being 'full of shit'.
    Weekender Offender 
    weed addiction

I think youre overreacting.

Its weed, not heroin. Hes RIGHT. A lot of people just smoke weed and function perfectly normally. Given that hes gone through school and gotten his Masters, it doesnt seem like its negatively affecting him. Very few people I know that smoke have been negatively affected by it, and those that have been, didnt just smoke weed.

Let him live his own life. If he was actually screwing up his life and hurting other people like, say, having a heroin addiction and stealing from family to support it, than youd have every right to be worried and want to get him help. Smoking a joint a few times a day or whatever? Dont worry about it.
    Crazystars wrote: »
    I think youre overreacting.

Its weed, not heroin. Hes RIGHT. A lot of people just smoke weed and function perfectly normally. Given that hes gone through school and gotten his Masters, it doesnt seem like its negatively affecting him. Very few people I know that smoke have been negatively affected by it, and those that have been, didnt just smoke weed.

Let him live his own life. If he was actually screwing up his life and hurting other people like, say, having a heroin addiction and stealing from family to support it, than youd have every right to be worried and want to get him help. Smoking a joint a few times a day or whatever? Dont worry about it.

Yurrrr.
    Crazystars wrote: »
    Very few people I know that smoke have been negatively affected by it, and those that have been, didnt just smoke weed.

I know a fair few, certainly enough for concern. He not overeacting at all. People do develop genuine problems with weed.
    Weekender Offender 
    im really wanting to quit at the minute...but that means new friends nw hobbies and a new start....with my current situation i dont know if i can do it....how do you walk away from all your mates just to stop smoking the herb?
    Skive wrote: »
    No it's not like smack, Herion IS physically addictive. And the OP said never said anyhting about weed being specifically 'physically' addictive when talking about people being 'full of shit'.
    Errrr just seen this and think you mis-read my post.... I Said.... "Weed ISN'T physically addictive.... like smack" Maybe I see why you read it wrong, but I meant "Weed isn't physically addictive.... like smack IS"
    My son is smoking weed and I think he may be becoming involved with dealing....he has stopped going to university as he has not made any friends there. Vicious circle no new friends back to old ones who don't go to college/work and smoke weed all day. I try to talk to him but he just lies to me can any one give me advice?
    Lavender is good for sleeping and a hot bath or shower then if you are lucky an orgasam. Good luck keep off it.