Home Politics & Debate
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What do you think has happened to Maddie McCann?

2

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru


    And, I think that the mental health issues that come with crime is enough of a punishment-



    Someone who kidnaps, rapes and murders a small child isn't mentally ill. They're a sicko who needs locking away until they rot.

    Locking someone up for something like this isn't about rehabilitating them, it's about keeping the rest of us safe and it's about punishing them for their crime
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Someone who kidnaps, rapes and murders a small child isn't mentally ill.

    So you think they are perfectly sane do you?

    And I don't actually think any of you understood my last thread, and I'm not going to talk about it either.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    More than likely dead, as it would have been to much of a mission to keep her hidden. With all the media attention the case got, someone would have recognised her.

    If she's not dead, then shes probably been addicted to heroine in some dodgy back water whore house in a dark corner of Europe.

    Sorry sounds harsh, i've got no sympathy for the parents. They are just as guilty as the kidnappers. :yeees:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So you think they are perfectly sane do you?

    And I don't actually think any of you understood my last thread, and I'm not going to talk about it either.
    C-A x

    Most of them do it for power. It's calculated and they know exacltt what they are doing. I don't understand why you think they have had enough punishment IF they are mentally Ill. Or why you are sticking up for them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    C-A it's really worth remembering that just because someone does something bad, doesn't make them mad. Some people who commit crimes don't feel any remorse or any guilt or have any mental health issue. Some people really are, quite simply, bad rather than mad - and the law has a duty to deal with those people just the same as people who may be mentally ill.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Someone who kidnaps, rapes and murders a small child isn't mentally ill.

    And let's be fair to the point being made - someone who kidnaps, pares and murders a small child isn't automatically mentally ill, but it's hardly a sign of sanity. Not enless we're going to starting using the term 'sicko' as part of the actual judical process.

    Though it is interesting that people seem to be arguing from the same perspective of life sentences - after all mental health diagnosis in modern sentencing is used to keep people in jail indefinitely. Since pedophilia, for example, is regarded as incurable, often repeat offenders can be removed from society permanently - rather than given any release date or parole hearing.

    So let's be careful how we judge this issue, whilst c-a is certainly describing things in an absolute way that does tend to strain the argument - it's an argument that the modern legal system absolutely accepts though perhaps from a different perspective that's it's being presented from here.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a hell of a lot of paedophiles have been abused themselves...i think the percentages were somewhere in the 70%-90% region - does that make them sick because its learned behavour and abuse really fucks up your mind, or does it just make them bad?

    i think i've just answered my own question there
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a hell of a lot of paedophiles have been abused themselves...i think the percentages were somewhere in the 70%-90% region - does that make them sick because its learned behavour and abuse really fucks up your mind, or does it just make them bad?

    i think i've just answered my own question there

    But if someone uses the abuse thing as an excuse surely that means everyone who has been abused is an abuser ;)

    I'm not arguing with your point here but I think people are trying to find reasons for something that doesn't potentially have any real reasons. I do not think one of these situations, mentioned above, mental health, abuse really creates this. I think some people are just Inherently evil.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The cycle of abuse is a very real issue, but even if thats the reason why someone becomes an abuser, and you can feel sorry its got to that stage, it doesnt mean its safe for the person to ever be free, and it doesnt mean they should never be punished for what they do as a thinking adult
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So you think they are perfectly sane do you?

    C-A x

    Yes hence why plenty of these people are sent to prison if they weren't sane then they wouldn't have been fit to stand trial.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    squeal wrote: »
    Yes hence why plenty of these people are sent to prison if they weren't sane then they wouldn't have been fit to stand trial.

    I blame the Evil gene....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I blame the Evil gene....

    I blame nurture. It would be interesting to be able to turn a serial killer back into a baby and let it be born and live and be brought up differently to how it grew up originally to see whether it still kills people. Obviously this would be impossible though!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally, and these are my beliefs, I think that to be sane is something not many people can achieve. In fact- I doubt there is anyone who is perfectly "normal" because there is no such thing as normal... But taking/raping/abusing/murdering children is not the norm- who knows, in some other world it could be a daily thing. But right here, right now, it's not.

    I am all for indivituality, until it hurts somebody else. Such as committing a crime. Taking a child, for what ever reason, shows that something is seriously wrong....
    Taking a child for greed shows that you do have problems. That should defiantly be addressed before being placed in a tiny cell your whole life.
    In many cases child abuses are subject to abuse in prison, and I think that if we put someone into an abuse environment (NO MATTER WHAT THEY HAVE DONE) we have issues too. Would you put someone with additional needs in a school where they would certainty be bullied? I think not.

    I am not saying people who brake the law should be as free as any other person- but I think the whole prison system is wrong.
    They are my views, please don't be offended.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so what do you suggest is done with dangerous rapists, murderers and abusers?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so what do you suggest is done with dangerous rapists, murderers and abusers?

    I do agree with them being taken away from standard civilization- but I don't think prison rooms should be as harsh as they are, and I think there should be different prisons for each crime. Like child abuses in one, domestic violence in another ect.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tell us then...

    how harsh are they?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    surely locking up all child abusers together is a really bad idea
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Prisons?

    Lets take America, still having the death penalty. All over the world prisons are dirty, scummy, disgusting places- and if the prison is like that how are people expect to improve? And, when people are released, they find it so hard to get back to life. It shouldn't be like that. We should be helping people pick up the pieces of their life, not taking away the little they can cling to.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    surely locking up all child abusers together is a really bad idea

    I take your point, but they are locked up together anyway. Just with other criminals.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Prisons?

    Lets take America, still having the death penalty. All over the world prisons are dirty, scummy, disgusting places- and if the prison is like that how are people expect to improve? And, when people are released, they find it so hard to get back to life. It shouldn't be like that. We should be helping people pick up the pieces of their life, not taking away the little they can cling to.
    C-A x

    rehabilitation is only part of what prison is for though.
    A large part of it is punishment for severe crimes. Its not supposed to be a walk in the park. The idea of it has also got to be a deterrant too
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah prisons can be horrible but isn't this due to underfunding not the fact that we want them to live that way?

    They don't just get left in a small room, there is help there for them. But not all want it. They can get basic quailifications in prison, but some choose not to use it to its fullest as they do not want to change.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah prisons can be horrible but isn't this due to underfunding not the fact that we want them to live that way?

    That is my point, no-body really tries to improve the prisons... We should try harder to raise money for prisons, so that they can be improved.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Of course. So what is the excuse of the tens of millions of people who aren't Maddie's parents? ;)

    To feel sympathy for them - one child is still a huge loss.
    If you dont feel at all sympathetic then i think you can be classed as heartless.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Andy Pandy wrote: »
    No I mean if you were out on your own or something.
    Getting kidnapped or raped or something for instance.
    God forbid that ever happens but it is a possibility.
    x Andy

    I have been raped. And it really did make me grow up and try and control myself a bit more, and be home before dark ect.

    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    was willy wonka banned for his attention seeker comment?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank the Lord that's over!
    Well back to doing what I was doing before... nothing.
    x Andy
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Andy Pandy wrote: »
    Thank the Lord that's over!
    Well back to doing what I was doing before... nothing.
    x Andy

    lol...i'm surprised the mods didn't jump in *looks around*

    But yeah, i'm glad its over my head was starting to hurt.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well it does take us more than a few minutes to keep an eye on threads - especially if people don't use the report post button.

    Reality is that debate requires people to accept that other people have differing views to their own and be willing to understand that disagreement isn't the same thing as agression.

    To be honest though, dragging something from a different thread to close down someone's opinion on a different issue doesn't really make anyone look good. But then nor does reacting agressively when people disagree - so hey, no gold stars for anyone today.

    Anyhoo - I think the fundamental issues are pretty valid and as the user in question for the specifics has left the forum I'm going to cut out a few of previous replies and then we can move on and see if this can get back on track.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote: »
    was willy wonka banned for his attention seeker comment?

    No, for a string of continually offensive and agressive posts, along with refusing to engage in anyway about his posting style. However, off topic here.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think she's on mars.
Sign In or Register to comment.