Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What to wear?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My hubby has got an interview on friday with the local coucil, he's applied to be a waste collector. They have written to him inviting him to interview saying it is a physical assessment and he should take steel toe cap boots. If he is succesful he will be invited along for a formal interview at a later date.

What should he wear? A suit seems rediculous when he is obviously going to have to do physical stuff, but it doesn't seem right turning up in jeans, t-shirt and steel toe caps!

Should he dress smart and take the boots with him to change into? Or wear them? What with? He really wants this job and doesn't want to mess it up.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it states it's a physical assessment then I would go in hard-wearing clothes.
    I don't know if there is a phone number for queries on the letter? maybe it would be good to phone and ask ahead of time?
    skakitty wrote: »
    I don't know if there is a phone number for queries on the letter? maybe it would be good to phone and ask ahead of time?

:yes:
    I suggested he phoned and asked but he didn't want to- reckons it wont look good even though I think that would be better than turning up in the wrong gear! He's gonna wear jeans and his steel toe caps and a smart t-shirt which is like a shirt.
    I don't think it would look bad for him to phone, if anything it shows he's keen. It does sound like work clothes are what they're expecting though if this is the assessment stage and the formal interview happens at a later date.

Good Luck!
    He may be provided with some form of overalls or uniform to use while on his assesment, but also on the other hand he may not. It would be best I think to ring up and ask, no harm in it, shows he is interested.
    He went this morning wearing smartish jeans and a smart t-shirt which looks more like a shirt. Most others turned up in track suits :yeees: He got through to the next stage and is now waiting to hear early next week if he got through to the final stage. I think he should have phoned but he didn't- thankfully it has worked out OK.
    It is always good when you turn up standing out from the crowd for all the right reasons. The only time I would turn up to something in gash order (tracksuits etc) would be if I was SPECIFICALLY told to.