Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Somebody help me.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Um.....hi.
i'm 15, and i've been cutting my skin with scissors since i was 12 on and off, but recently i've started to make longer and deeper cuts. I don't want to tell anyone i know about it, i told my best friend that i used to and i didn't do it anymore when actually i do. i don't want to see a doctor, and i've tried phoning a helpline twice but have ended up freaking out, bursting into tears and hanging up. I've realised that i actually want to talk to someone who also self harms/ used to self harm, so i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to talk to me. I know i need help and i just can't do it alone but i don't want anyone either too personal (i.e. family and friends) or too impersonal (i.e a doctor) to talk to. Please help me, i'm sorry.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been in your position and theres many others on thesite that i'm sure will be hapy to help. including me. :)
    Heyya,

I've been in and out of hospital these past few weeks... for self harm ect. and I must say that I didn't want to talk to anyone. I went to counselling yesterday and it was so good! I thought it would be awful... but she was very nice, and didn't make me say anything I didn't want to. And best of all, she knew nothing about me!

But, if you are dead set against getting help, I'd say try and help yourself. It is a lot harder, but it can be done. Here are some links- http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/surgery/advice/body_mind/everyone/self_harm/

http://www.youth2youth.co.uk/helpline.htm

http://www.childline.org.uk/pages/home.aspx

Good luck... These are some things that can help too:
    - Flick your wrist with a rubber band
    - Hold an ice cube
    - Go for a run
    - Count to ten
    - Draw/paint
    - Write a poem or song
    - Listen to music
    - Read

Or anything else that helps you calm down.
    Let us know how you get on x
    C-A x
    Hey,

Welcome to the site and more importantly thanks for sharing with us whats going on for you at the moment. It can be really difficult to talk to someone about self harm, especially when your unsure about it yourself. This site is a good start though and may help you to open up to others if thats what you decide to do. As has been mentioned by crying-angel counselling can be helpful for some people. Talking with someone neutral and non judgemental may help you explore the feelings, thinking and motivation beind the self harm, as self harm is often a way of coping with a worry or trauma.

keep posting and looking around the site for info on health.:wave:
    Hi, sorry you've been going through this, I know its not easy, I've been self harming for four years now and am similar to you about who you would want to talk to and I dont like getting help. feel free to PM me if you want to chat. x
    hello 'girlwithscissors' i know how your feeling babe, ive been cutting ever since i was 12 and now im 15. I told a few friends, they all think i've stopped too. i also tryed counselling but i didnt feel comfy talking to a complete stranger. insted of cutting you should keeping yourself busy, or do something in replacement of cutting. being a self harmer too, i wont judge you but i would love you to talk about it and try to help you. i feel were in kind of the same boat ? i seriously suggest music though , it has been such a help for me. im here if you want to talk anyway x
    thank you all so so much for the support, i'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply but things have been happening. i cut myself a lot less now i think because i talked to my boyfriend about it and he's trying to help me. music and drawing has also helped me a lot, you'll be pleased to hear.
    the only problem now is that my parents are getting divorced, and i sorta cut myself again a few nights ago, but i'm gonna tell my boyfriend tonight and having him know always makes me want to stop even more, so i'll be okay.
    thank you all for your kindness, i really appreciate it :)
    Hi,
    Ive been s/h since i was 15 and im now 19. Ive got scars and i have cut deep too - i just don't know how else to cope. My bf knows that i do it - he don't like it but understands that it is how i cope. Doing other things to distract is good. Maybe it would be easier to write a letter to your gp or sumut - as they can refer for couselling which is really beneficial.
    how are you? love
    jen xx
    flower123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Ive been s/h since i was 15 and im now 19. Ive got scars and i have cut deep too - i just don't know how else to cope. My bf knows that i do it - he don't like it but understands that it is how i cope. Doing other things to distract is good. Maybe it would be easier to write a letter to your gp or sumut - as they can refer for couselling which is really beneficial.
    how are you? love
    jen xx

i know what you mean, sometimes its the only way out >.< and it's just so easy, isn't it? >.< i know thats bad of me to think like that, but hey.
    i was thinking about getting counselling, but i've tried phoning childline twice before and i just completely freaked out and couldn't talk, so i'm guessing talking to a counsellor would be even worse :P
    i'm good, don't think it's weird but my boyfriend proposed to me today and he says he was only half joking XDDD he is a crazy boy *shakes head* :P
    i haven't cut since a few nights ago, which is pretty good going for me. but i think it's because my boyfriend has been phoning around the time he knows i cut so i talk to him about it and that really helps.
    thanks for asking and being so kind ^.^
    how are you?
    and also, do you want to get rid of your scars? i'm just asking out of curiosity, please don't feel obliged to answer. because i feel weirdly proud of my scars, especially the ones that have healed so you can tell i've had the will power to stop reopening them.

tash
    xxxx
    all my advice is
    try and stop and just talk to someone i no its hard but u need to find the strengh
    ive done this before but with razors and I REGRET IT I EVER WENT THREW THAT STAGE
    when you get older you feel u need to hide the scars because people will judge you for doing
    and allways wearing long sleeves and stuff
    i still to this day feel im embarresed for it and now its lead to more other problems which is horrible please try to see someone xx
    all my advice is
    try and stop and just talk to someone i no its hard but u need to find the strengh
    ive done this before but with razors and I REGRET IT I EVER WENT THREW THAT STAGE
    when you get older you feel u need to hide the scars because people will judge you for doing
    and allways wearing long sleeves and stuff
    i still to this day feel im embarresed for it and now its lead to more other problems which is horrible please try to see someone xx

i know this sounds strange but tbh the thought of telling someone just makes it seem more real >.< like, i'm accepting that i can't cope with it on my own but what if i can cope with it on my own? my boyfriend is helping me a great deal but is there a sure fire way to know if it's becoming a more dangerous addicition? because i'm sure over time i'll be able to manage it, but i just want to have a back-up plan.
    xxx
    I used to/ do self harm.
    So..What kinda makes no sense :P
    But...Well, I self harmed for around 2 years but recently my friends found out as it got...Kinda....Bad...And now I am trying to stop. And damnit, it's rather hard.

I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it because, well, tbh I'd like to talk to someone about it too. I cannot talk to family as they dont know about it...I cant talk to friends because they get upset...And...I dont want to see a GP tbh...

Hope your alright x
    Dems wrote: »
    I used to/ do self harm.
    So..What kinda makes no sense :P
    But...Well, I self harmed for around 2 years but recently my friends found out as it got...Kinda....Bad...And now I am trying to stop. And damnit, it's rather hard.

I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it because, well, tbh I'd like to talk to someone about it too. I cannot talk to family as they dont know about it...I cant talk to friends because they get upset...And...I dont want to see a GP tbh...

Hope your alright x

thank you for posting ^.^
    sure, i'll talk to you :)
    i know what you mean, i told my friend i used to do it but now i've stopped (which is a lie, but still) and i know she was trying to be supportive but i could tell that she was totally freaked >.<
    do you want to talk through PMs?

thanks, i hope you are alright, too :P
    and btw i'm from the north west as well ^.^
    heya,
    talking to a counsellor is brill - i did it and the first couple of times it is strange but now im finishing with her after 6 months of support and im going to see my liasion worker instead.
    yeh thats confusing does that mean he is or he isn't?!?!?Im really not well at all atm just not coping at all and feel lost - im constantly having the feelings to s/h. I don't want to get rid of them - im just not proud enough to show them atm just because of the stigma tis all. Yeh i do feel proud that i ain't reopened them - im only doing it superficially with a razor blade atm but im not able to keep them on show as i sit in lectures with over 200 students and its scary.
    how are you??
    love jennie
    xx
    I self-harmed last night for the first time in eight years.

I used to self-harm a lot, as well as self-medicate with drugs and alcohol and solvents, to help me cope with over-whelming emotions. I feel a bit embarassed, but it has made me take the steps to get help.

Self-harming is a funny thing... You feel numb, you get the release, then you get the onslaught of mixed emotions, as well as the heightened pain of the injury.

Vitamin E cream is good for scars.
    penguin21 wrote: »
    I am both proud and ashamed of my scars. I do not feel comfortable with other people seeing them, and there is a great stigma around self harm and mental health. Being a teacher I go to great lengths to hide marks from students and other teachers.

And yet, for some reason I feel great comfort knowing they are there- they are real, and they can be seen. My scars feel like a badge of service-validation of what I have been through and how I have felt....

Me too. I take great comfort from seeing my scars for the same reasons you said. Welcome to the site btw.
    heya penguin,
    You ok. im jennie nearly 20 and have been s/h since i was bout 16. I don't feel comfortable either. How are you??
    xx
    Um.....hi.
    i'm 15, and i've been cutting my skin with scissors since i was 12 on and off, but recently i've started to make longer and deeper cuts. I don't want to tell anyone i know about it, i told my best friend that i used to and i didn't do it anymore when actually i do. i don't want to see a doctor, and i've tried phoning a helpline twice but have ended up freaking out, bursting into tears and hanging up. I've realised that i actually want to talk to someone who also self harms/ used to self harm, so i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to talk to me. I know i need help and i just can't do it alone but i don't want anyone either too personal (i.e. family and friends) or too impersonal (i.e a doctor) to talk to. Please help me, i'm sorry.
    Hi, firstly can I say well done to accessing some support.acceptance is the first step in regaining that control. have you no-one at school you can talk to. do you have a health mentor, head of year/house?