Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wht is the safe amount for a 15/16 year old girl to drink??x

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wonderin wht a safe amount for a 15/16 year old girl to drink in a week?

:)

Comments

• Options
    Drink as in...?
  • Options
    all of tht lol
  • Options
    as in alcohol
  • Options
    Hi Emma,

Not an easy question to answer to be honest. Most studies of alcohol and the effects of alcohol look at wider issues than the specific physical health implications around drinking.

So regardless of the amount being drunk there's obviously some really important things to bear in mind around drinking - that you're drinking in a safe environment, that it isn't leading you to do things you regret, that it doesn't feel like something you have to do - all the same questions people of any age need to bear in mind around how much they drink.

The basic health advice on healthy drinking for women is a lot lower than people tend to think - the NHS repeats the government advice that an adult woman should avoid drinking more than 2-3 units of alcohol a day (about a pint and a half of regular strength larger, cider, etc).

So it's likely to be below that amount. The health implications of drinking underage aren't one of those things people seem to be in a rush to talk about in any real detail - but other people may be able to find more information than me :)
  • Options
    well! technically nothing due to age but you probably know that so not really much point in a lecture. And i'm underage as well and i drink.

But i am not condoning it at all.

It depends anyway. if your just starting hardly anything, then a chemical in your liver builds up (can't remember name) and you start to build up a tolerance. (this happens at any age if you have not drank before).

But it sounds like you wanna drink weekly. Its not a good idea at your age.
  • Options
    Yeah, just to point out that the limits for safe drinking per day can't necessarily be rolled into one days worth of drinking. Also at a young age the safe medical limits on drinking could be considerably below those mentioned for adult women.

Speaking to your GP is always confidential and they may be able to offer you some advice on how much you should be drinking or address any problems around drinking that could be bothering you.

You can see the NHS direct info on drinking here - you could always try phoning them

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/846.aspx?CategoryID=87&SubCategoryID=87
  • Options
    When I was 16, I had wine with my parents at the dinner table. No more than 6 units per week. Now that I'm an early-30s adult, I'm pretty much at the top end of the safe scale for adults - 28 units per week lol.
  • Options
    I'm not saying this because I'm a dude but I'm saying this as a responsible teen/adult.
    Men can hold a lot more drink than women, especially if they drink quite regularly. It all depends if you are drinking to be social, or drinking to get drunk?
    I would recommend only drinking a couple at the weekend if any. And not every weekend. I almost got into a problem when I was 16. It's horrible.
    It's horrible waking up in the morning and feeling so ill, and not having a clue what happened that night.
    Seriously, I wouldn't go there if you can help it.
    There is a safe amount to drink per week for adults, but as you are still growing and developing, it will be much less.
    So if you are determined to drink something every week, go for something slightly weaker like Bacardi Breezer and WKD. Only have one or two at a time also.
    Hope it has helped.
    x Andy
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Hi Emma,

Not an easy question to answer to be honest. Most studies of alcohol and the effects of alcohol look at wider issues than the specific physical health implications around drinking.

So regardless of the amount being drunk there's obviously some really important things to bear in mind around drinking - that you're drinking in a safe environment, that it isn't leading you to do things you regret, that it doesn't feel like something you have to do - all the same questions people of any age need to bear in mind around how much they drink.

The basic health advice on healthy drinking for women is a lot lower than people tend to think - the NHS repeats the government advice that an adult woman should avoid drinking more than 2-3 units of alcohol a day (about a pint and a half of regular strength larger, cider, etc).

So it's likely to be below that amount. The health implications of drinking underage aren't one of those things people seem to be in a rush to talk about in any real detail - but other people may be able to find more information than me :)

Just to add Jim, the NHS/Goverment also recomend every person to have 2 alchohol free days per week as well as the 2-3 units per day limit,

Fact i learnt in my licensing training t'other day
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Hi Emma,

Would 1 shot of rum or vodka be equal to 1 unit?
  • Options
    Here's the full breakdown

* One pint of ordinary strength beer, lager or cider = 2 units.
    * One pint of strong bitter, lager or cider = 3 units.
    * A small (125ml) glass of wine = 1.5 units.
    * A large (175ml) glass of wine = about 2 units.
    * A 275ml bottle of alcopop = 1.5 units.
    * A 25ml pub measure of spirits = 1 unit.
    * A 50ml pub measure of fortified wine such as sherry or port = 1 unit.

So yeah, an average uk shot is 1 unit
  • Options
    There is growing evidence that excessive alcohol consumption as a teen can have many undersired effects on the developing brain. I'd guess that even regular consumption of what is deemed "safe" amounts is also likely to have an effect...

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/no-index/physician-resources/9416.shtml
    http://www.teendrugabuse.us/teensandalcohol.html
    http://www.enotalone.com/article/11152.html

Bottom line, IMO, is that there is no safe amount. The odd tipple on special occasions isn't likely to have a significant impact, but the only safe amount is none. Though that is quite unrealistic. ;)

Do it infrequently, do it for fun, and do it with people you trust. There's no need to get legless - I tend to find I have the most fun when I've had between 25-50% of what would have me slurring my words and not being in total control of what I say. :)
  • Options
    You can work it out yourself aswell if you are not sure by doing a quick sum

Volume (Ml) X %ABV / 1000 = Unit

So.

25ml messure of 10% malt is is 1unit, I mean JimV's way is usually right but things like Spirits ABV can change, we have some we sell at 45/50% ABV which means they are more than a unit,