Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lower Back pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, for the past week or so, i've been getting this dull, aching pain in my lower back (more like my butt...but where the bone is on my left side) and this weekend its travelled down my thigh, and up my back a bit more :(

It's not reaaaaly bad, just annoying, and it's keeping me awake at night, and making me feel a bit sick and also tired during the day. Nothing i do seems to make it better (sitting/standing/lieing.... although sitting up straight makes it a bit worse)

Just wondering what i should do? is it worthy of a docs appt?

Thoughts appreciated )

Comments

• Options
    Definitely worth a doctors appointment.
  • Options
    Yeh.. i think i'll make one tomz (and get some co-codamol! Ibuprofen just is not cutting it :()
  • Options
    Did you do anything to start it off, or has it just built up for no apparent reason?

Make sure you tell the doctor everything, including the feeling generally unwell bit.
  • Options
    UPDATE: So i went to the doc, he did the general mobility test (and the bit with the hammer) and then prescribed me some diclofenac sodium. He didn't actually tell me what the problem was *sigh* ..but said it should resolve itself within a few weeks. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    Ohh.. no i didn't do anything, but i think it may be due to being majorly stressed at work, and not taking enough breaks to get up and walk around (to the point where i got up to go home, and felt really stiff joints)

I've been researching a bit, and i reckon it's sciatica or some sort.
  • Options
    I get sciatic pain, and it sounds a lot like that. Pain in the lower back/bum that moves down the leg and makes walking difficult.

I have no solutions though. It comes and goes, sometimes it's bad and I take ibuprofen, sometimes it's not there at all. Sorry to be unhelpful!
  • Options
    it's a pain in the..... lol

actually it's making me frustrated, and tearful and low :( it's just a constant deep aching, sometimes burning pain in my back/butt/thigh/knee

I just hope it goes away damn soon.
  • Options
    Just make sure you get it checked out correctly, my mum had back problems for years similar to this and the doc's said it was sciatica and gave her pain killers for it etc and she put it with it for years.. at xmas we found out she actually slipped a disk in her back and she was unable to walk for months...

She's pretty much back to normal now other than she gets numb feet sometimes.
  • Options
    Ooooh don't worry... if it doesn't get better in the next few weeks, i'll be back pestering the Dr :p

Cheers :)
  • Options
    That's definatly the best thing to do, the Dr's where we are a tad.. well shit to be honest.
  • Options
    Remember you can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together. So keep topped up on those.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if i can take ibuprofen with this other anti-inflammatory? but i'll def take some paracetamol :)
  • Options
    No ibuprofen with diclofenac.
  • Options
    **UPDATE**
    Soo.. the pain got really bad today (i also felt ill/dizzy), and i couldn't face another day at work sitting down constantly. So i rang up NHSdirect, they said to goto A&E.

I've now got myself some Dihydrocodine for a week. So.... i'll let you know how i get on! (so far...just reaaallly sleepy)
  • Options
    Aww I hope it really helps.
    I hate having a pain like that.
    I currently have a pain in the neck, and his name is Jack.
    Hahaha no but in all seriousness, get well soon!
    x Andy
  • Options
    Mr CW wrote: »
    Just make sure you get it checked out correctly, my mum had back problems for years similar to this and the doc's said it was sciatica and gave her pain killers for it etc and she put it with it for years.. at xmas we found out she actually slipped a disk in her back and she was unable to walk for months...

Totally agree with this, The same thing happened to me and it turned out to be a hip problem.

Hope you get sorted quickly anyway. :)
  • Options
    Thanks :) I really hope these new painkillers work (the Dr at A&E said they were like morphine :/) because i really need to be able to site down and work a full day without being in pain- i'm still on probation and so can't take too many sick days.

I'll keep you updated!
  • Options
    Is it still down your legs and things or just at the bottom of your back mainly?
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    Thanks :) I really hope these new painkillers work (the Dr at A&E said they were like morphine :/) because i really need to be able to site down and work a full day without being in pain- i'm still on probation and so can't take too many sick days.

I'll keep you updated!

I assume you're sat at a desk with a computer?

Have you got anything under the desk to help elevate your feet at all? I use to put little stools under the desk where i use to work for my staff to make it more comfortable for them, also i know it sounds silly, but are you sitting all the way back in your chair? Are you leaning forward or anything and putting any extra stress on that part of your body?
  • Options
    The biomechanical derangement in the spinal column and the normal function of the lumbar spine are restored successfully by mobilizing the joints with the GIGERMD Therapy to free them from constrictions and by rectifying any actual or impending herniations. Any fissures or cracks in the discs will then heal up in a few months, but they must be made to heal in their proper place, which is why treatment with the GIGERMD Therapy is essential. Following treatment, the patient is required to undertake regular and specific exercises to strengthen appropriate muscles. This can be carried out with the GIGERMD Therapy in the best possible way.The treatment of sciatica is easily carried out by decompressing the sciatic nerve with the GIGERMD Therapy at the affected joint level in order to remove the source of friction against the nerve. Results can already be felt after only one session when neuro-muscular and skeletal functions are restored. Doing the GIGERMD Therapy the patient feels completely confident. He can relax the lower spine and exercise without pain.