Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dealing with stress and anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never been able to deal with stress and anxiety very well, I try and exercise 3 times a week but still find it difficult to clear my brain, and go through low periods quite often. So I guess i'm just curious how others cope.

How do you vent/deal your stress/anger or anxiety?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there,

I guess I've been lucky in the fact that I've never really suffered much with anxiety symptoms. However although it's not my own cup of tea CBT is shown to be particularly successful with helping people to reduce their anxiety. Most GPs will now offer this as part of primary care and as a result the waiting list shouldn't be too long should you wish to be referred.

Of course if it's more self-help which you're looking for then you might also want to check out the site www.livinglifetothefull.com, which provides an online course of CBT. It's free to register and was recommended to me by a professional; it may be worth you just taking a look.
    I have simular problems myself, i went to my GP a while back and they gave me some exersises to help with breathing, and i go to councilling too, and i find talking about it helps :)
    Hi there,

I guess I've been lucky in the fact that I've never really suffered much with anxiety symptoms. However although it's not my own cup of tea CBT is shown to be particularly successful with helping people to reduce their anxiety. Most GPs will now offer this as part of primary care and as a result the waiting list shouldn't be too long should you wish to be referred.

Of course if it's more self-help which you're looking for then you might also want to check out the site www.livinglifetothefull.com, which provides an online course of CBT. It's free to register and was recommended to me by a professional; it may be worth you just taking a look.

Thanks, the website looks good.

I've had CBT a couple of years ago for depression, it's more anxiety now. I need to find a proper way of dealing with it. I found it really helpful, however my doctors have no funding for it anymore and can't offer it. The waiting list for counselling is 2 years. It's so annoying.
    I used to have bad anxiety and panic attacks but have not in years thanks to learning the CBT thought countering exercise called the TEA form. They really work if you do them regularly. That site somebody mentioned sounds great and the book my therapist gave me where I learned the TEA form exercise called Been there, done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz is really good as well as short and simple. CBT really works for anxiety and panic if you work at it.
    how about going where there is good entertainment and fun.
    Make the most of humour - meet with friends that are cheerful and have an optimistic outlook on life!
    And instead of worrying about something, which doesn't achieve much except make you feel wound up, try to take positive steps to make the situation better. As long as you've done your best to put yourself in a better position, the rest is up to fate.
    I usually have a long hot shower/bath to try and get myself relaxed.
    I deal with it using distraction techniques mainly- I do try and use the CBT that i learned too (questioning the negative thought, giving evidence for and against etc) It is really hard though, especially when it's constant stress like eg: we are short staffed at work, and it's been going on for 2 weeks... sometimes i check myself and realise i'm holding my breath as i'm so stressed/busy! When it's like this, i make sure i try and take more breaks, and go chill in my car in silence at lunch, so i'm not overloaded
    skakitty wrote: »
    I deal with it using distraction techniques mainly- I do try and use the CBT that i learned too (questioning the negative thought, giving evidence for and against etc) It is really hard though, especially when it's constant stress like eg: we are short staffed at work, and it's been going on for 2 weeks... sometimes i check myself and realise i'm holding my breath as i'm so stressed/busy! When it's like this, i make sure i try and take more breaks, and go chill in my car in silence at lunch, so i'm not overloaded

I know what you mean CBT is easier said than done, but if you keep at it I think it will become easier to do. It did for me anyway. I think getting away from it all like you are doing never hurts either:)
    Do something that demands absolute concentration and mental discipline, but has nothing to do with your daily routine.

...Take up a demanding sport
    ...Learn a musical instrument, and practise daily
    ...Learn a new language
    ...Learn to draw or paint.
    etc.

The answer to stress is not relaxation; that merely gives you spare time to worry - hence more stress. The answer to stress (destructive, negative stress) is positive stress - doing something which demands effort and gives a feeling of accomplishment.

That way, the achievement and natural reward as you improve helps you to feel better about yourself and your life.

Speaking personally, if I feel overstressed, I take an instrument and practise for an hour. Harmony restored!
    Stress and anxiety do have their place. They push us to make necessary changes in our lives. They signal when we may be in danger, and inspire us to take action to get ourselves out of danger. (This danger can be any type of threat to our physical or emotional well-being, from not doing well on a test to losing a job to losing a friend.) In this way, feelings of stress and anxiety are healthy and necessary; without them, we may not act in our own best interest.
    i suffer from anxiety and stress, and am at the moment looking into natural remedies after coming off antidepressants.
    My coping mechanisms are just trying to be easy on myself.
    I find things like strong mints, rescue remedy, and those menthol peppermint nasal sticks good for clearing my head when it gets all fuzzy and anxious.
    i am also finding chamomile tea works surprisingly well for taking the edge off it
    Lance5 wrote: »
    Do something that demands absolute concentration and mental discipline, but has nothing to do with your daily routine.

...Take up a demanding sport
    ...Learn a musical instrument, and practise daily
    ...Learn a new language
    ...Learn to draw or paint.
    etc.

The answer to stress is not relaxation; that merely gives you spare time to worry - hence more stress. The answer to stress (destructive, negative stress) is positive stress - doing something which demands effort and gives a feeling of accomplishment.

That way, the achievement and natural reward as you improve helps you to feel better about yourself and your life.

Speaking personally, if I feel overstressed, I take an instrument and practise for an hour. Harmony restored!

Alll good suggestions:)
    what about traveling? it works for me
    johnny_mac wrote: »
    I have debt i need to pay off before i go, i went to Oz for 5 weeks over last xmas and loved it though
    johnny_mac wrote: »

I wish I had the time and money to find out if that worked for me:yes:
    I went on a trip and it was great while I was gone, but the stress leading up to departure was not as much fun lol. All in all it was relaxing:yes:
    Hey everyone. Life is good now for me. How about everyone else?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey celine, this thread is from 2009 so people might not spot your post. I'm going to close it now, but please feel free to make your own thread to get to know people. :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.