Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thrush :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had thrush last month and i have got it again this month. i have been to the doctors for some stuff to help me. but they say that you need to go to the doctors if you suffer thrush twice in 6 months but why??

Comments

• Options
    I always wondered what thrush was... interesting!
    Found this, hope it helps

When you buy clotrimazole over-the-counter (OTC), it should not be used more than twice in 6 months. If you think you've been infected more times than this you should see your doctor to find out the cause. Sometimes, frequent bouts of symptoms are simply due to re-infection with thrush. However, your doctor will want to rule out other possible causes. These include:

An underlying condition that can increase your risk of developing thrush. E.g. diabetes, taking medicines that suppress your immune system.

There is an infection but it is not thrush. Other infections that can produce symptoms similar to thrush are chlamydia, giardia and gardenerella.

The candida yeast causing the thrush has developed resistance to clotrimazole. If this is the case, you will need an alternative anti-candida medicine.

http://www.wellsphere.com/sexually-transmitted-diseases-article/why-shouldn-t-i-use-over-the-counter-clotrimazole-for-thrush-too-often/34406
  • Options
    As my_name says, doctors like to check there's no underlying problem which is causing the thrush to pop up again. e.g std, diabetes etc.
    I had thrush like symptoms for two months (:mad: ) and had all the diabetes, thyroid checks. All came back fine and then it left of it's own accord. To be honest my doctors didn't seem to give a shit so i gave up bothering with them and tried to solve the problem myself. I got privately tested, got told it wasn't thrush just some sort of imbalance. In the end it left as swiftly as it appeated.

Feel for you as it's not nice.