Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Paris

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okay, I'm sort of wondering if somebody can like, sell paris to me. as if, you were an overenthusiastic travel agent really trying to make a sale :p

me and my boyfriend have a week off at the start of october and we were thinking of going away somewhere. we werent sure where, the original plan was to prague but thats out of the question now, so we sort of decided on paris. the thing is the time to book somewhere is running out and i just cant bring myself to get excited about it :/

i know its supposed to be every girls dream to have her boyfriend take her to paris but it just doesnt appeal to me, i think the main thing is that i dont know what sort of...attractions there are to see there, i know theres the eiffel tower and thats about it :| iv been once before with my family but i was only about 9 and it was only for a day (on the way to spain). i just remember staying in a really shitty hotel and being so hot at night i had some kind of hallucinations and tried to jump out of a window :eek2:

so basically i was wondering if anybody could recommend things to do, what nice things there is to see, etc? nice places to stay? i really want to make my boyfriend happy by going :/ i know that probably sounds silly but hes never been abroad before, he recently got his first passport ever and i know he really wants to try france. and we cant seem to come to a compromise on somewhere else to go.

any help would be appreciated. x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i LOVED paris. wasn't sure if i was cos of all the cliches, but i really really did and would love to live there.

i stayed at the bastille charrone hotel, which was nothing special but was decent enough for somewhere to sleep.

my favourite part was monmatre - a square with lots of artists, little shops etc.

saw the eiffel tower but didnt actually go up it, just went for a walk. in fact, we did a lot of walking and seeing things from the outside but not going in. like the louvre, although i wish i had gone in.

notre dame was good too, you can take a boat ride on the river, look round the shops etc.

we were only there for three days and as i said we did spend a lot of time just walking and looking but i loved it, loved the whole atmosphere, the food, the shops and it wasn't too expensive. even went to a minimal night on a boat on the river!

you could always try and fit in disney land too? didnt go to the paris one but have been to the florida one and would say that, and my three days in paris are my two favourite holidays.
    A walk along the embankment of the river Seine can be romantic- especially halfway through sunset. There's the Louvre museum if you're into arts and the park through to Concorde Metro station. Experience the double decker RER suburban trains too and don't forget the edge of town square and arch- the La Defense
    I just spent hours walking around Paris on my own when I was there and I loved it. It is just as you'd think from all the clichés. Being a Londoner I was surprised you have to pay for the museums (although we found out part of the Pompidou Centre is free on the first Sunday of the month and that was great, the views are awesome). I didn't bother with the Eiffel Tower as we were only there for 3 days and I didn't want to spend half of one of them in a queue. Notre Dame also lovely.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I just spent hours walking around Paris on my own when I was there and I loved it. It is just as you'd think from all the clichés. Being a Londoner I was surprised you have to pay for the museums (although we found out part of the Pompidou Centre is free on the first Sunday of the month and that was great, the views are awesome). I didn't bother with the Eiffel Tower as we were only there for 3 days and I didn't want to spend half of one of them in a queue. Notre Dame also lovely.

Yeah- the place is cute- situated on an island piece of land on the river seine. There's the Sacre coeur too in the north part of Paris
    Have you had a look at www.wikitravel.org? It's really good for stuff like this :)
    probably Notre Dame Cathedral, the louvre and the Eiffel Tower are boring to mention. how about the Les Catacombs? a mile of illuminated dirt tunnels filled with human bones and skulls.
    I took my GF to Paris last November for her birthday and we both loved it, we only went for a few days.
    The metro system is excellent, can get you to and from anywhere in Paris, not much waiting and not full of creepy people on a night time! We bought a 3 day pass for the metro as soon as we got there and would say it was well worth it, it only took us a few minutes to work out exactly how it worked.
    Right gonna try remember what we did and the names lol, you've got the Arc de Triumph which is a big statue in the middle of the craziest roundabout you've probably ever seen lol (apparently your insurance is void when you enter that roundabout but not sure how true that is :-), a big road that leads to the Arc de Triumph is called the Champs Elysies (or sommat like that) and that is full of all the big designer shops, the street is beautifully lit up at night and some nice places to eat (although a little on the expensive side).
    The Eiffel Tower is amazing at night, flashing lights all over it! We went thru the day as well and if you want to get the lift up it then expect a wait but we were happy to walk up it (think you get half way) and there was no queue, a football game was on that night in Paris as well and around the eiffel tower was ram packed. You can walk across the bridge to a viewing place to get a good view of it as well (jst a shame about the lucky lucky's, but you get them everywhere).
    Then theres the river where you can take a boat trip, we had lunch at a restaurant which kinda hung over the river with big glass front looking over it and it was lovely! You can also arrange a night on a boat which would be very romantic, with food and wine in with the price and a taxi service from your hotel.
    We also went to some museums, the science museum was a bit of a let down for me but one section where you got active with the exhibits was good! We also went to see the mona lisa, I'm not a big art fan but was ok walking round and now I can say i've seen the mona lisa in the flesh!

Hope you have a good time, its a lovely city IMO.
    I took my GF to Paris last November for her birthday and we both loved it, we only went for a few days.
    The metro system is excellent, can get you to and from anywhere in Paris, not much waiting and not full of creepy people on a night time! We bought a 3 day pass for the metro as soon as we got there and would say it was well worth it, it only took us a few minutes to work out exactly how it worked.
    Right gonna try remember what we did and the names lol, you've got the Arc de Triumph which is a big statue in the middle of the craziest roundabout you've probably ever seen lol (apparently your insurance is void when you enter that roundabout but not sure how true that is :-), a big road that leads to the Arc de Triumph is called the Champs Elysies (or sommat like that) and that is full of all the big designer shops, the street is beautifully lit up at night and some nice places to eat (although a little on the expensive side).
    The Eiffel Tower is amazing at night, flashing lights all over it! We went thru the day as well and if you want to get the lift up it then expect a wait but we were happy to walk up it (think you get half way) and there was no queue, a football game was on that night in Paris as well and around the eiffel tower was ram packed. You can walk across the bridge to a viewing place to get a good view of it as well (jst a shame about the lucky lucky's, but you get them everywhere).
    Then theres the river where you can take a boat trip, we had lunch at a restaurant which kinda hung over the river with big glass front looking over it and it was lovely! You can also arrange a night on a boat which would be very romantic, with food and wine in with the price and a taxi service from your hotel.
    We also went to some museums, the science museum was a bit of a let down for me but one section where you got active with the exhibits was good! We also went to see the mona lisa, I'm not a big art fan but was ok walking round and now I can say i've seen the mona lisa in the flesh!

Hope you have a good time, its a lovely city IMO.

I am going TOMORROW :hyper: so this post is tres useful.

Thanks, fella! :thumb: