Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The Italians are not the best of losers

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
From The Guardian's daily football email newsletter, The Fiver:

"Perugia coach Serse Cosmi has said he wants the club to get shot of their Korean golden goalscorer, Ahn Jung-hwan, for what he did to Italy. "I don't want to see him in my team," he shrieked.

"I am a nationalist," butted in president Lucianno Gaucci, before
elaborating: "I regard such behaviour not only as an affront to
Italian pride but also an offence to a country which two years ago
opened its doors to him." The Corriere dello Sport pointed the blame at the ref instead. "The killer referee hounds the Azzuri out of the World Cup," it wailed, adding that Italy had been "thrown out of a World Cup, where referees and linesmen are used as hitmen. Shame on you gentlemen of Fifa and your dirty games".

Now what the hell did Perugia's coach and president expect Ahn Jung-hwan to do? Refuse to score against Italy because he plays club football there? What a pair of tossers!!!

Apparently FIFA are not too pleased with Italy either. They have called Italy's attitude 'regrettable', after the team snubbed the waiting press in Korea, and the Italian F.A. are effectively accusing FIFA or being corrupt and masterminding Italy's exit.
Oh dear...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've sympathy with them, here is the article in full http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,740234,00.html

They have had some plain pathetic decisions to contend with and but for poor refs they would be still in the competition, but unluckily for them they where on the recieveing end of them, its time to go home and re-group.

But had England suffered some of the crap they've had I'd be pretty pissed off about it all ;)
  • Options
    argh, there is nothing worse than a smug winner and that's a poor loser. Or is it the other way round? :confused:

I do feel for the Italian team cos they did have some harsh decisions made against them like the onside goals, even the commentators said they were onside and Totti should not have been sent off but....

They still had plenty of chances, and missed, and it was a stupid thing to take the striker off. They should have learned lessons from Euro 2000 against France. Oh well, all this business about sacking this guy is just going to cut their nose off to spite their face, it's so silly, kiddys behave better, I already have had enough people calling me a wap today and telling me to go back to where I came from :rolleyes: well thats irrelevent but its just going to give the team a bad name and they don't need it.

*wonders if I should be manager instead*

Imagine the possibilites!! :D
  • Options
    Im absolutely disgusted with whats going on in Italy at the moment..Any respect I had for their football and the country as a whole has gone right out of the window..
  • Options
    Baldog, just out of interest and not with the intention of starting an argument, why the country as a whole? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Baldog, just out of interest and not with the intention of starting an argument, why the country as a whole? :confused:

Because of the reaction of the newspapers, TV stations, the Italian public and those Italians ive spoken to on the net...

Go read some of the comments on the yahoo world cup forums from Italians..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    and those Italians ive spoken to on the net...

You haven't spoken to me :)

Meh, I've read those yahoo comments, I'm not taking any of it at face value people are just letting off a lot of steam and in the heat of the moment are well....yeah.

I'm finding it really embarrassing that they are acting like that, the sacking is absolutely appalling, and it ruins the game for me, and as I said before, leaves a team with a lot of potential, a bad name. It is, afterall only a game.

But if England had some onside goals disallowed.... ;):p

• Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Im absolutely disgusted with whats going on in Italy at the moment..Any respect I had for their football and the country as a whole has gone right out of the window..

I'm not entirely convinced that had we suffered a string of similar injustices this country wouldn't react in a similar way and in Italy football truely is a matter of life and death, their hooligans have been known to kill one another and it all very political, something we are lucky to avoid here, its common place for presidents to be chairman of clubs, you have right and left wing clubs and rivalry as you can imagine is fierce, corruption ets is rife. Its not just a game to the Italian public and so when i see the reaction i don't find it suprising, to us it all very over the top and stupid granted, but from their perspective its impossible to go over the top.

One point, the way the sacked Perugia player was treated is disgraceful.
  • Options
    All the following are from the Italy Yahoo World Cup 2002 discussion forums:
    Unbelievable scores .
    Italy should have been the winner of the match . But English bastards robbed their victory .
    The scores must be 3-2 . English bastards robbed 2 penalties of the Azzuri , and then refused 2 goals of Italy .
    Italy must be the winner of the match .
    I cannot imagine that English rogues can be FIFA referees .
    FIRE THE ENGLISH BASTARDS : POLL Graham and SHARP Philip .
    They must be fired FOREVER . Do not let them be referees of any another match in the future .
    POLL Graham and SHARP Philip are SMELLY BASTARDS .
    This just go's to show that the english have it in for us italians as we have seen just then.
    The Referees must be blind or just really dum!!
    croatia didn't deserve the win!!
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what was happening today, 2 perfectly good goals.. that referree sucks! Italy deserves to win: they play well and have the best looking players out there :) FORZA AZZURRI, YOU CAN DO IT!

By the way I didn't have to dig that deep to find these...

As you can see they are fairly annoyed about it. It is funny to see though that most of em are annoyed at losing to Croatia and there isn't much of a mention of the South Korea game. So they were knocked out fairly? Damn right. Wrong decisions are part of the game so get over it. Can't say I didn't laugh when South Korea scored :D:D

Some of em have at least some sense:
    For the record --- I am not Croatian, however, all I have seen on these boards, are a bunch of whinning Italian Cry-babies. You LOST. Get over it and re-group! Quit complaining about the refs, about the calls, and the robbery. Italians have no class at all. Because you didn't win, you have to blame someone or something else for your team's incompetency.
    You complain that two legitimate goals were disallowed. You assert that this had traumatic consequences for the result.

"Goal" 1: It was a call for off-side. Whether the ball goes in the net or in the stands is irrelevant. You get real angry because the ball happened to go in the net. If Vieri had missed his header, you wouldn't complain at all. You might as well admit that. These faulty off-side calls happen in every game. And this situation wasn't as simple as you would like it to be.

"Goal" 2: Clear free-kick for Croatia. Inzaghi used illegal means to separate himself from the defender. No controversy here, just a lot of whining which will only hurt your own credibility. The assistant referee made a correct decision. So please don't pretend that two legitimate goals were disallowed.

When you boil it all down, this is what happened: You got a bad off-side call which may have cost you a goal. Big deal. Happens to every team in every match. And you even went on to score anyway, so it didn't matter much.

Who should you blame?

You should blame your own defenders for letting in two goals. Isn't defense supposed to be your specialty?

I'd put money that the second one is not Italian :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Wrong decisions are part of the game so get over it.

If that had been us and a French ref, I wouldn't of got over it ;)
    "Goal" 1: It was a call for off-side. Whether the ball goes in the net or in the stands is irrelevant. You get real angry because the ball happened to go in the net. If Vieri had missed his header, you wouldn't complain at all. You might as well admit that. These faulty off-side calls happen in every game. And this situation wasn't as simple as you would like it to be.

What a stupid point to make

Like I say I do have sympathy with Italy
  • Options
    The Croatia goals were questionable but the Italy - Korea game was fine.....The offside was a bad call but theres no guarentee he would have scored anyway...He only put it in the back of the net because the defence and keeper had stopped playing and were appealing for offside..

It wasnt as though everything went normal, he beat the defence and scored and then his goal was disallowed..

As for that fuck Totti...He deserved everything he got..
  • Options
    Sometimes we do watch the same games then Balddog.

Totti dived (or made a meal of a tackle) and as he had already been booked, he had to go. He wasn't fouled, that's for sure.

The comment about "what if the ball hadn't gone in" is a valid one to make. THe italians wouldn't have complained if he'd blasted it wide. What they should be looking at are the total sitters missed and Italy's poor defending. Once again defending a one goal lead has cost them a place - anyone remember Euro 200 final?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    The comment about "what if the ball hadn't gone in" is a valid one to make. THe italians wouldn't have complained if he'd blasted it wide.

No its not, the ball did go in and they had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed, had it of gone wide of course they wouldn't of complained but that scenario is irrelevant. They are complaining abouth the fact a goal was disallowed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

No its not, the ball did go in and they had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed, had it of gone wide of course they wouldn't of complained but that scenario is irrelevant. They are complaining abouth the fact a goal was disallowed.

This could be applied to almost every decision ever made and unless they want to consider those too...

Like I said, they seem to forget that had Vieri not missed the open goal, then there wouldn't have been an issue...

Its always easier to blame the Ref/Linesman. One bad decision there and they are vilified, Vieiri, Totti, Del Piero, Montella have all missed easy chances more than once during the finals yet the Italians focuss on a single incident. I would remind them that it wasn't the ref that decided to defend a one goal lead, it wasn't the ref who defended badly and it wasn't the ref who missed an open goal in the last minute of normal time...
  • Options
    I understand that, but at the end of the day several bad decisions may well of cost them dearly, I don't really like them, but I'm trying to see it from there perspective, had for example we scored those two goals today and a linesman/ref disallowed both I would be going mental - in tight games they got unlucky, you can't blame there reaction.