Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Less Laws, More Truth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was reading this book today, and the author has a very interesting perspective on drugs. He says a lot of things that are true, and they really resonate with how I view the situation. Here is a good excerpt from a section about ending the drug war:

Choice: The truth is, we should legalize everything that does not hurt other people, and let people make up their own minds about how they want to live. The law should only be to protect people from other people, not to protect them from themselves, because the truth is, nothing can do that.

What the world needs now is less laws and more truth.

People should be free to choose what they want to do with their own lives. People are not stupid, and they do not need other people to decide what is good for them. Those kinds of laws are wrong, impossible to enforce, and they create a dangerous and costly black market. The only way to stop people from doing one behavior is to give them something better to replace it with. If we give people the truth and the life, it will stop drugs, crime, and all self-destructive behavior.

The bottom line
: Everything should be legalized that does not hurt others, but all advertising and other things that promote them should be banned also. Instead, commercials will show people the truth and educate people on the dangers of certain products. People are smart and will respond to the truth and always do the right thing, but only when they know for certain what the right thing is.

The people that are for keeping drugs illegal appear to be the good, moral people, the good guys, and it gets them elected, but the opposite is true. They are actually the most responsible for all the drug related murders and violence that stem from illegal drugs. Making drugs illegal seems like a good idea and that it would help society, but in reality, nothing is hurting society more. What is worse thousands of kids murdered, millions of lives ruined, wasting billions of dollars, or legal drugs? Wake up people.

Being for legalizing drugs does not mean you are for people using drugs. You will be against the use of drugs and support education about them.

From page 232 of The Present (with religion), a free book at www.truthcontest.com

Check it out and share your thoughts. Peace!

:cool:

Comments

• Options
    this is true because making drugs illegal leads to underground selling of them which leads to crime. they are valuable and hard to come by because they are illegal, and people start making money off of selling them and get involved in all kinds of trouble. It fuels gangs. It also perpetuates poverty. I will check out this book.
  • Options
    true1 wrote: »
    this is true because making drugs illegal leads to underground selling of them which leads to crime. they are valuable and hard to come by because they are illegal, and people start making money off of selling them and get involved in all kinds of trouble. It fuels gangs. It also perpetuates poverty. I will check out this book.

Hard to come by ...which planet are you on?
  • Options
    Hard to come by ...which planet are you on?
    Perhaps he means pure substances are hard to come by?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Perhaps he means pure substances are hard to come by?

Ahhhh.
    You joined this year?
    You've been hear years haven't you?
  • Options
    I only came here for the very first time on my sign up date, Jun 08. Time flies, already over a year. Pretty much my first time on a forum like TheSite. I came here for advice on LSD I think. :D
  • Options
    I've argued on here for a complete ban on all alcohol and gambling advertising before, plus all promotional offers. Both are dangerous and addictive so should customers should not be given incentives to purchase more.

If/when recreational drugs are sold they should be sold from boring chemist type shops with plain labels.

However to suggest that drugs dont have any impact on anyone other than the user is rubbish. If for no other reason than the NHS has to pick up the pieces if you over do it, not even mentioning the social cost (although these are made much worse by the illegal nature of the drugs).
  • Options
    I just think drugs should be legal for over 18's. Nuff said! haha
    C-A x
  • Options
    haha it's sounding more apealing all the time :_p
    C-A x
  • Options
    I just think drugs should be legal for over 18's. Nuff said! haha
    C-A x

Even crack?
  • Options
  • Options
    Might aswell. Ruin alot of criminals lives.

Probably make a lot of crack habits worse too.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Drugs don't harm others?! What about people who produce non synth stuff, it harms them for sure.

What on earth are you talking about? If you are referring to the large ecological damage that cocaine production leads to then that could be avoided if the stuff was legal.
  • Options
    I'd have thought that under this guy's logic then that whilst Cannabis would be made legal, Alcohol would be banned straight away.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Even crack?

Heyya,

Yea- it might sound mad I know. But I just think that everyone should be able to do what they want, so long as it doesn't impact other peoples lives in a way they don't like.

So really, it is impossible for drugs to be legal, as more often than not they impact on other non users.

However, if is was possible for drugs to only have an effect on the user then it should be fine. This is also the reason I think nicotine should be illegal, if other drugs are... as there are things like secondary smoke ect. to think about.
    C-A x
  • Options
    Haha x Go to Amsterdam :-p It's great. lol x
    C-A x
  • Options
    So really, it is impossible for drugs to be legal, as more often than not they impact on other non users.

However, if is was possible for drugs to only have an effect on the user then it should be fine. This is also the reason I think nicotine should be illegal, if other drugs are... as there are things like secondary smoke ect. to think about.

In the huge majority of cases people drink alcohol without harming others, why should it be any different for recreational drugs. Virtually all the social harm associated with drugs at the moment is because of the legal status.

As for secondary smoke, unless you are regularly exposed to lots of it in an enclosed area it really isnt a risk so the idea that you would ban it purely because of a possible risk doesnt make sense.
  • Options
    I take your point- But honestly, it's like making Bisexuality legal, and Homosexuaitly illegal. (I must stress- I have nothing against gays, I am Bi myself- it was just an example)
    If nicotine was discovered today it would be illegal, it is more harmful than a lot of other class C drugs, and some class B drugs. And in the long term, it can cause worse effect on some people than cocaine would...
    My dads a substance missuse counsellor by the way, just if you're wondering why I know a lot for my age :-p
  • Options
    ...and my booze is about to get more expensive cos to many arseholes don't know how to use the stuff.
    Did the original poster say that people aren't stupid?
    Well I can't agree with that ...do you get out much?
  • Options
    Jethro ...are you in America?
    Does a poster by the name of Sharky mean anything to you:chin:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    However to suggest that drugs dont have any impact on anyone other than the user is rubbish. If for no other reason than the NHS has to pick up the pieces if you over do it, not even mentioning the social cost (although these are made much worse by the illegal nature of the drugs).

The wisest comment drew nil response. *sighs*