Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Working Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know the laws on breaks and hours worked? I ask because I have started a job where my shifts are generally 9, 10 or 12 hours long :mad:, I am never told to go on a break, I always have to ask and am not told how long my break is for so I just guess and have about 20-25 minutes. Last night I worked for 6 hours with no break at all and only got to go to the loo once cos I was on on my own.

It's not just knowing about the laws, but they make it difficult to ask by making you feel uncomfortable.

I am not happy about working from 12 middday until 12 midnight but she asks me and says "oh if it's quiet you can go at 10", I still don't want to but don't feel I can say no. 12 hours on your feet is very hard and I am so tired and make mistakes after so long.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you should get at least a half hour break every 4 and a half hours.
    and i think if you are working a 12 hour shift you should get an hour for lunch and then two other short breaks (paid)

i know the first bit is the law. but the second bit is just what i get if i work 12 hours, which is rarely.

also, there should be at least 12 hours between each of your shifts, ie. if you work til 11 at nite you shouldnt be working the next morning at 8am. but a lot of employers ignore this.
    oh and where do you work?
    I work in a family pub/restaurant/Wacky Warehouse place. Thanks for the tips! I'm off to bed now.