Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Query regarding minimum wage when turning 22

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,

If (for example) I am currently getting paid £6 per hour (£1.23 above min wage) at 21 years old, then turn 22 would my wage stay at £6, or would it raise to £7.23 per hour?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It would stay the same. You're already above the minimum wage so there is no reason for them to increase your wage just because you turn 22, not unless they wanted to for good performance or whatever.
    That's fair enough, I was just told if it wasn't increased in relation to your current pay above minimum wage it was technically a pay reduction, couldn't find anything about it online
    I'm quite sure that is untrue. I'm sure someone else will come along and confirm that for you soon though.
    jimmyF wrote: »
    That's fair enough, I was just told if it wasn't increased in relation to your current pay above minimum wage it was technically a pay reduction, couldn't find anything about it online

Im not sure how someone can work it out as a pay deduction? Since your pay stays the same etc.

As long as you are paid more or = to the minimum wage for your age, your work wont change it.

Your contract wont say £x's more than minimum wage, it just says £6 an hour I presume?
    its not a pay reduction, your pay is still the same? its not being reduced by any and you are above the min wage for 22plus of £5.73
    Id be interested to find out who told you it would be effectively a pay reduction :chin:
    Surely a pay reduction would have to be a reduction in pay?
    i wish i had a job where i could entertain the possibility that my wage would go up by a pound an hour each time i had a birthday :chin:

my last pay rise was 8p per hour.
    i wish i had a job where i could entertain the possibility that my wage would go up by a pound an hour each time i had a birthday :chin:

my last pay rise was 8p per hour.

No joking... after 8 years of working... god I'd be rich (rich to me and a homeless person at least :p)
    Technically, without a payrise you are worse off than the previous year, as inflation will increase the overall cost of living, whilst your income remains the same. But that doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to a raise each year.