Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women three times more likely to be arrested for domestic violence

Story.

92% of all reported domestic violence is committed by men and women are victims of 91% of all reported domestic violence. 83% of men are repeat offenders, whereas only 38% of women are repeat offenders.

However a man will only be arrested for domestic violence in one incident out of ten, whereas a woman will be arrested in one incident out of every three.

I'm not sure why the police are completely incapable of dealing with crime against women. They can't prosecute rape properly, even when the proof is handed to them on a plate (see John Worboys and Antoni Imiela for evidence). And now they seem to be incapable of arrested men for domestic violence either. Odd, considering they're so quick to nick women for it.

The police have never been any good at protecting women, though.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Throughout the first 60 years of the previous century, and even up until the 1980s by some accounts, the stated position of the Police service was often 'we don't get involved in domestics'.

The Police service is still contains a particular culture of masculinity, one that isn't easily going to be broken down or improved.
  • Options
    There was something in the daily mail the other week about how men are more likely to be victims of domestic abuse. Well it led you to believe that women beat men up more, and forgot to mention in the stats that men can also be beaten up by men as well.
  • Options
    It says that men cause the problems but the women are the ones who get arrested.

The police do not arrest a person for assault unless they have witnessed it themselves or a complaint has been made against another. In my opinion in a majority of cases it is likely that as stated the man (or women) has caused the argument (mainly due to them drinking a lot), they've thrown a few punches between them or it could be one sided, and then the bloke has accused the woman of assaulting him once police attend. The police have to act positively and arrest the woman based on that complaint. It is likely the woman fears her partner and so will keep silent on the matter. Of course women do also beat their husbands but I am just commenting on the facts in that article.
  • Options
    If the police have been called then a complaint has been made. There is no such thing as "pressing charges", only the police can decide to arrest or not.

What you've said is the exact same cop-out that the police try to use about rape statistics.

And the facts are that women are being arrested 33% of the time and men are being arrested 10% of the time.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If the police have been called then a complaint has been made.

No it hasn't. A lot of calls received come from neighbours who have heard a disturbance or sometimes an abandoned call asking for police attendance. Of course sometimes the people involved do ring up themselves but not all the time. It is down to the injured party to make a complaint.
  • Options
    You're missing the point. This is about arrests not convictions.

In any event, the police don't have to wait for a "complaint". If there is evidence that person A was hit (that can include black eyes, etc) and it's reasonable to think person B did it, then an arrest should take place. It is doing when person B's a woman but not when person A's a woman.

The conviction rate is different- often the female victims of DV will fail to give evidence at court, so the whole case collapses. That's why I'm not criticising for the conviction rate.
  • Options
    A study I read last year where basically they take a sample of the population and give them a questionnaire, gave similar assault rates for both men and women. Although it counted domestic violence as anything from a slap, you could speculate that women are victims of 'heavier' violence.

I will try and find the source out later, am at work atm but these reports take 1 minute to run just for me to copy over a few figures so its very stop-start-stop-start work :/
  • Options
    no comment