Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oral sex and risk of STDs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just a quick question really...

What's everyone's feelings about the risk of catching an STD through oral sex? Are you happy to do oral on a one-night-stand, even if you haven't enquired about the other person's sexual history/known them very long? Or at the other end of the scale, do you abstain completely until you've both got checked out for peace of mind?!

I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it without having got to know someone well first.. Oral seems more intimate than actual sex, and I just don't want to risk catching anything :yuck: How would you react if your new squeeze demanded a trip to the clinic before they agreed to going down on you? What's the protocol? :o

Comments

• Options
    I think it's judgement. If you feel your new or prospective partner respects their health and is clean you're more likely to be accepting of oral sex as a part of your sex life. Many, many years ago I was in a club and some girl who was chatting with me for hours almost whipped my ol' fella out and tried to go down on me. Although more of the risks are on her part, I don't fancy having the chops of someone so wanton around my highly regarded, clean and healthy cock. No thanks.

Judgement I think. Demanding a blood test is a little clinical and takes away the romance don't you think?
  • Options
    Oral sex is wonderful, but protection is important too. In most cases, everything is ok, but be careful. It is good to get to know someone you can trust. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Maybe, but the romance is going to evaporate anyway if you later find out you caught something from them... And it might affect future relationships if you get something incurable (eg. herpes) - surely once you confess, the prospective new partner just isn't going to want to know :confused:
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    Maybe, but the romance is going to evaporate anyway if you later find out you caught something from them... And it might affect future relationships if you get something incurable (eg. herpes) - surely once you confess, the prospective new partner just isn't going to want to know :confused:
    True but who honestly medically vets their new partners before sleeping with them?
  • Options
    Shifty77 wrote: »
    True but who honestly medically vets their new partners before sleeping with them?
    I know plenty of people who were asked by their partner to get an STI test done before they slept together. It's at least necessary if you won't be using a condom.