Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Shishas "more harmful than cigarettes"

I thought it had been a while since the last anti-tobacco (read: anti-fun) story so, in the spirit of silly season, the DoH duly obliges:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8214097.stm

1) We know it's bad for you
2) Some people, dare I say it, actually enjoy it (I shared one on Friday night with my new ladyfriend and thoroughly enjoyable it was too)
3) Err,
4) That's it.

I'm quite intrigued as to how they propose to re-educate people as to the dangers of shisha smoking. Tobacconists aren't forced (yet) to plaster their shops with signs proclaiming the inherent dangers in their wares. Perhaps they could insist that one third of the pipe is given over to warning labels? Who knows, but I bet whatever it is, it will be draconian, ill-thought out and will give scant regard to rational, intelligent people who make a conscious decision to enjoy this legal activity because, God forbid, it may actually give the user some enjoyment.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kind of like saying it's more dangerous to smoke a cigarette without the filter. Same concept.
    No shit Sherlock. It's pretty obvious more smoke is inhaled with a hookah. Last time I smoked a hookah I had so much I was dizzy afterwards (I don't smoke often).
    No shit Sherlock. It's pretty obvious more smoke is inhaled with a hookah. Last time I smoked a hookah I had so much I was dizzy afterwards (I don't smoke often).

I'm not surprised you felt dizzy. It's not meant to be inhaled.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's not meant to be inhaled.

Says who? It's purely preference.

Personally, I don't see the point of it unless you inhale it.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm not surprised you felt dizzy. It's not meant to be inhaled.
    I don't see the point otherwise - if I want to taste fruit I'll eat some fruit.
    I don't see the point otherwise - if I want to taste fruit I'll eat some fruit.

ahahahaha.
    well, when I smoke shisha it's probably once every few months, if at all, so more healthy for me than smoking every day a cigarette :D
    With all this anti-smoking shiznit going in place over the last 10 years, I dread to think when the gov't will start clamping down on drinking :-/
    Who the hell is going to smoke 30 Shisha a day?
    What is the point of smoking them once a month ...it does what exactly?
    Well apart from the nicotine I think it's more of a social activity.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

It's a pleasant social activity. Fnd it far more scocialble than smoking pot which lets be fair is a pretty unsociable drug.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'm not anti-smoking, I am anti-smoking around children and asthmatics in closed areas (that aren't a home) when it only takes two minutes to go and stand outside.

As for the shisha...

No surprise really.
    Namaste wrote: »
    I'm not anti-smoking, I am anti-smoking around children and asthmatics in closed areas (that aren't a home) when it only takes two minutes to go and stand outside.
    I.e. not in private hookah bars.