Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Serious housemate troubles.. I don't know what to do..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, My name is Kirsty.. I'm from the UK and i'm the only female in this house...

I live in a shared house, but I don't get to choose who I live with.. since the landlord rents this place out per room instead of as a full property.. And he let these two guys move in.. The first one wasn't all that bad till the second one moved in...

Now.. The other night.. one of them smashed a window in a rage, kicked in the firealarm point and tried kicking in his own door, I called the police of course, they came down but the housemate had ran off...

I called the landlord the next day.. and he said "right, i'm going to make them move out.." etc, which was the best news I had heard in a long time... Then.. he sends me a text a couple of hours later saying "I've spoken to the housemate who broke the window, he's going to get his dad to fix it, when the other housemate (who infact didn't have anything to do with it..) comes home, get him to phone me..

Anyways he's now decided that he's not going to kick them out, but the problem is...They're stealing mine and my brothers clothes, they're smoking in the house, they're eating all of my food, they're using all of my things (even though we all have our own cupboards) they're keeping me up till all hours in the morning with the amount of noise they make and the amount of friends they have over..

I've told the landlord all of this but he doesn't seem to give a ****.. The housemate knows I phoned the cops on him and he's called me a snitch etc etc..

I don't even feel safe in my own home... someone tried to get into my room TWICE last night..around about this time :\
They're the kinda guys who are on drugs and go out fighting all the time and i really don't know wtf to do any more, i feel like i'm at the end of my teather :\ why the hell wont the landlord do anything, and why do I have to put up with this ****? What can i do to stop it?

They've been like this since the day they moved in, Loud music.. drugs, fighting, being total jerks...

If someone could at least point me in the right direction i'd greatly appreciate it.. since I don't think this is the kinda thing that the police can get involved in.. but surely the landlord has to do something?!

I would have moved out probably about six months ago when it started to get just a little bad, but I really can't afford to.. so i'm stuck here and i can't see any way out of it..(No friends or parents I can rely on either...)

Any advice or pointing in the right direction that you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.. Sorry it's so long (and so late at night too..)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're at University, go and speak to your student union or your university's accommodation office.

You need to tell your landlord what is going on. The landlord has a duty to make sure that you do not have to live with antisocial tenants and if the tenant is behaving badly the landlord should take steps to sort it out. You could ask the landlord if he will let you leave the house- whether he will do or not will depend on your contract and how nice the landlord is.

You might want to send your question to Ask TheSite, who use Shelter advisers to respond to housing questions. They're more experienced than we are!