Home Health & Wellbeing
We are writing some music with the help of a professional band! Share some small positive stories from lockdown to contribute our song over on this thread!
Want to discuss Coronavirus/COVID-19? Head to the dedicated forum.

Losing weight

13

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I won't I don't like fizzy juice. :)

    I have been obsesed with my weight for ages now so i have thought this through ( although admittedly not very well) but I struggle to see the bad side of it because I suppose my judgement is clouded by how I want to look. And I know that there is a healthy way of doing it but this way I feel that I'am in control.

    Honestly i do understand even if i've never been in that place myself. All i can say is that you're not in control. You've just admitted that your weight/disorder has controlled you for ages.
    Proper control is proving to yourself that you can eat a well balanced diet and exercise and look healthy and feel good on it. I think if you honestly soul search you will find that you feel tired, have no energy, have no love of life anymore and that all that is driving you is your obsession with making sure that the next piece of food past your mouth is smaller than the last one and a huge guilt if you don't follow this regime. Think of all the things you've probably had to give up because of your mindset. Fun with friends, going out for meals and having a good night and a giggle. :no: I know whatever we say probably won't make much of a difference because addictions never do but even if it means you trying to talk about and venting then that's what this place is for.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi notanotherusername! your friend is right. It's not normal that you only eat once a day. THe regular eating habit is 3 time a day and that is breakfast, lunch and dinner and you can also take some snacks in the afternoon. As you can see, you feel starved. Our body has some reactions in the abnormality it might encounter inside. Your body is signaling you that you are already starving yourself. What you are doing might lead to anorexia. It's disease where the sufferer thinks that she is fat although she is too thin already
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have obsessed about my weight, calories I eat and over exercised for a long time and basically just lived a miserable life for the past 5/6 years becauce of it. I still exercise more than I should but I am becoming better in other areas.

    It takes over with the fact I try and avoid going out with friends or even just to town because I don't want to inflict my 'fat' self on people. So basically unless I am with my bf I rarely leave apart from to go to the gym :(

    Not eating or eating so few calories may work in the short term but is it something you can keep up. Probably not, your body will crave food you will binge and then put weight on. And the cycle begins again. It gets you nowhere!

    If you want to loose weight the way that works is healthy eating and exercise, unfortunaly there are no quick fixes. Trust me I have probably tried everything to get rid of weight, some of them not nice!

    Have you though about trying something like Weight Watchers or Slimming World? They do it in a healthy way and the group meetings offer lot's of encouragement :)

    Not eating won't get you anywhere fast it will just make you miserable, give you bad skin, bad hair and in the long term risk bad teeth and bones due to lack of calcium and lack of other vitamins!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Please read this- Okay, I was wrong to say about how I used to eat ect. and I am sorry about that. But if people ask I don't lie. But I must stress I have not come out of this unharmed. My teeth are disgusting, from being sick, my mood swings are still very bad, I have week bones and I get very tired. And to anyone who thinks it is a good idea to go on an "extreme" diet needs serious help. Luckily, I have never been on an anorexia ward, I'm sure though- If I had eaten like I did for a longer period of time, I would of been on one. Even if you think you can control what you are doing, you get sucked further and further into it. There gets a point when food controls you, not you controlling food. Most people don't notice that point and continue to think they are in charge of their "diet".... And then, how ever far down the line it my be, they notice something is wrong with them. But they still feel to fat, even if (deep down) they know they aren't. They can't eat that bit of cake, no matter how much they want it. Then they get told they are too thin, and they think "good, I'm losing weight" and that gives them the motivation to keep starving themselves. Magazines are full of stick thin, blonde, big boobed women. That is unrealistic. Honestly, I would give anything to be a size eight, but I can't face eating more than I do. Even if you don't think the pictures you see are affecting you, they are to some degree. Adverts are just as bad, flawless women. But that's not natural, all those dangley, wobbly, weird bits on our body. That's what makes us a human. It is okay to want to lose some weight, I wont deny that... But at what point does losing weight become an obsession?
    I'll leave you to decide that.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But if people ask I don't lie.

    Just being picky here - nobody asked you for that information, you volunteered it without prompting.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    notanotherusername asked who long I didn't eat much for... Yes, I had previously said that I didn't eat much. I apologize for that. Can we please not start picking on such small little things in that post? It has a longer message that just that.
    C-A
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    notanotherusername asked who long I didn't eat much for... Yes, I had previously said that I didn't eat much. I apologize for that. Can we please not start picking on such small little things in that post? It has a longer message that just that.
    C-A

    *sigh*

    I meant the "400 calories a day" information which started this whole tangent. :yeees:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Okay... now you are being ridiculous. I have apologized. What more do you wish me to do?
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Okay... now you are being ridiculous. I have apologized. What more do you wish me to do?
    C-A x

    I was pointing out that you weren't asked for that information, which you claimed to the contrary. Apology accepted. Calm down. Again.
  • Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 Two little ducks
    Hi :wave: ,
    Please read this- Okay, I was wrong to say about how I used to eat ect. and I am sorry about that. But if people ask I don't lie. But I must stress I have not come out of this unharmed. My teeth are disgusting, from being sick, my mood swings are still very bad, I have week bones and I get very tired. And to anyone who thinks it is a good idea to go on an "extreme" diet needs serious help. Luckily, I have never been on an anorexia ward, I'm sure though- If I had eaten like I did for a longer period of time, I would of been on one. Even if you think you can control what you are doing, you get sucked further and further into it. There gets a point when food controls you, not you controlling food.

    crying-angel thanks for this post, I think what you meant is cleared up and you accept that giving specifics can be harmful. As you say, let's put it behind us and concentrate on notanotherusername's needs, as she actually started this post.

    Putting my two cents in, I assume being an Extreme poster you've read lots of the content on TheSite that Jo linked to earlier about healthy and unhealthy eating? You said you were trying to get a wider perspective, so perhaps doing as some people have suggested and contacting B-eat or your GP or getting some other information from a range of sources would help you work out for yourself whether or not you have a problem?

    Any GP would be delighted, I am sure, to see someone in your postition come in and ask for some health advice, rather than someone who has taken things too far already.

    Soph
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does it matter if she said that? It seems to me that people think that as soon as someone says a set number of calories i'm just going to eat that much...maybe i should just live up to these standards then.

    Is this all because i asked how long it went on for and took an interest in the apple lucozade?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha x Okay.... what if i said eat 2000 aday? You should listen to that XD
    c-a x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Normally i would find that funny and i *might* have a little chuckle...but not a good day so...no, kinda offended
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does it matter if she said that? It seems to me that people think that as soon as someone says a set number of calories i'm just going to eat that much...maybe i should just live up to these standards then.

    Is this all because i asked how long it went on for and took an interest in the apple lucozade?

    It's a pretty standard rule, across the boards.

    Even if you don't find it triggering, you have to think how many other sensitive people are reading this right now, and who might come across the thread in the future.

    Plus, imagine for a second that Crying Angel said she'd eaten under 400 calories a day for 4 months. What if then someone (not necessarily you) decided, as she's still here to tell the tale, that that would eat the same for the same amount of time. Only now imagine that they did themselves serious damage, or even died. How awful do you think Crying Angel would feel?

    That's why we're telling her not to give specifics. Not because we think either of you are stupid.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Olive wrote: »
    It's a pretty standard rule, across the boards.

    Even if you don't find it triggering, you have to think how many other sensitive people are reading this right now, and who might come across the thread in the future.

    Plus, imagine for a second that Crying Angel said she'd eaten under 400 calories a day for 4 months. What if then someone (not necessarily you) decided, as she's still here to tell the tale, that that would eat the same for the same amount of time. Only now imagine that they did themselves serious damage, or even died. How awful do you think Crying Angel would feel?

    That's why we're telling her not to give specifics. Not because we think either of you are stupid.
    I do feel pretty awful now to be honest..... gonna edit the posts :-)
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Olive wrote: »
    It's a pretty standard rule, across the boards.

    Even if you don't find it triggering, you have to think how many other sensitive people are reading this right now, and who might come across the thread in the future.

    Plus, imagine for a second that Crying Angel said she'd eaten under 400 calories a day for 4 months. What if then someone (not necessarily you) decided, as she's still here to tell the tale, that that would eat the same for the same amount of time. Only now imagine that they did themselves serious damage, or even died. How awful do you think Crying Angel would feel?

    That's why we're telling her not to give specifics. Not because we think either of you are stupid.

    Fair point, sorry,. :blush:

    anyway, if i did go down to 400 calories i wouldn't do it straight away, i'd probably work my way down to it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't. Honestly, I wish you could see how bad I look now! Please don't consider going under 1,500 a day. I am NOT saying go to 1,500- but that wouldn't be life threatening. Just exercise for 30 minutes each day, and eat 5 different bits of fruit and veg (along with other things!) you'll be perfectly healthy in no time.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fair point, sorry,. :blush:

    anyway, if i did go down to 400 calories i wouldn't do it straight away, i'd probably work my way down to it.

    Do not even go there. That's less than four slices of bread.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Olive wrote: »

    Crying Angel - I know you're trying to be helpful, but please be aware that posting specifics in a thread about eating disorders (i.e. weight, BMI, calories consumed a day) can trigger competitive behaviour in people. It's best to pass on your opinion without giving actual numbers.

    :yes:

    Crying angel - your so young, i cant understand how youve been through everything a person possibly can in life, no disrespect, i just remember the days were i was your age, it was nothing like that. Im not trying to be nasty by the way, i like you :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Smartie wrote: »
    :yes:

    Crying angel - your so young, i cant understand how youve been through everything a person possibly can in life, no disrespect, i just remember the days were i was your age, it was nothing like that. Im not trying to be nasty by the way, i like you :)

    I know... I wish I was still playing with barbies :grump:
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Smartie wrote: »
    :yes:

    Crying angel - your so young, i cant understand how youve been through everything a person possibly can in life, no disrespect, i just remember the days were i was your age, it was nothing like that. Im not trying to be nasty by the way, i like you :)

    should we maybe try and not get into the young thing again. Even tho your not being nasty... :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do feel pretty awful now to be honest..... gonna edit the posts :-)
    C-A x
    I wouldn't feel too bad, it's a fairly understandable oversight tbh. Well done for editing the posts though :).

    Notanotherusername - do you know what 400 calories a day actually is? I ate a mini malt loaf earlier and even that was 700. A carton of orange juice has about 400 calories. Hell, even a nutri-grain has 90-something.

    Without trying to sound mean - if you did go down to 400 calories a day I WOULD think you were stupid. Not because of how you view your body, but because you know the dangers and the side effects EVEN IF YOU DO COME OUT OF THE OTHER SIDE. You won't be beautiful, you'll be skeletal and you'll have shitty teeth and shitty skin, and your hair will be coming out in handfuls. Working your way down to a set calorie amount is a really good idea, but only if it's a healthy calorie amount. Even then, you need to think about fat content and sugar and salt (my downfall).

    I'm sure g_angel (who knows lots about this kind of thing and is very clever but won't take any crap) or somebody else who knows their shit would be willing to help you with diet and exercise questions. Do you really want to end up as just skin and bones with everyone staring at you for the wrong reasons?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah true, i respect you crying angel, as ive been through some hard stuff myself and i know it isnt easy.. You seem like a lovely girl though :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ttthhhaannnkkkk yyyoooouuuu :-) made me smile.
    C-A x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm NOT going to go down to a 400 calorie diet people!! when talking about it i've said IF not WHEN...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ttthhhaannnkkkk yyyoooouuuu :-) made me smile.
    C-A x

    Its okay, i always like reading what you have to say.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm NOT going to go down to a 400 calorie diet people!! when talking about it i've said IF not WHEN...

    It's the fact that you're even talking about it that is concerning. It suggests the idea is actually in your head, and you did say "I would work down to it", which means it is indeed in your head.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel wrote: »
    It's the fact that you're even talking about it that is concerning. It suggests the idea is actually in your head, and you did say "I would work down to it", which means it is indeed in your head.

    Fair point, but ofcourse its going to be in my head considering that my weekly average is about 1290, and i'm happy with that. But it doesn't mean i'm going to do it. I'm not *that* stupid
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should really eat more, but exercise more to burn the excess off. Otherwise you will find it WILL cause you health problems.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel too bad, it's a fairly understandable oversight tbh. Well done for editing the posts though :).

    Notanotherusername - do you know what 400 calories a day actually is? I ate a mini malt loaf earlier and even that was 700. A carton of orange juice has about 400 calories. Hell, even a nutri-grain has 90-something.

    Without trying to sound mean - if you did go down to 400 calories a day I WOULD think you were stupid. Not because of how you view your body, but because you know the dangers and the side effects EVEN IF YOU DO COME OUT OF THE OTHER SIDE. You won't be beautiful, you'll be skeletal and you'll have shitty teeth and shitty skin, and your hair will be coming out in handfuls. Working your way down to a set calorie amount is a really good idea, but only if it's a healthy calorie amount. Even then, you need to think about fat content and sugar and salt (my downfall).

    I'm sure g_angel (who knows lots about this kind of thing and is very clever but won't take any crap) or somebody else who knows their shit would be willing to help you with diet and exercise questions. Do you really want to end up as just skin and bones with everyone staring at you for the wrong reasons?
    This.
Sign In or Register to comment.