Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Disposing of electrical items?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a few electrical items which are now no good because they're both broken. (earphones & razor plus charger) What's the safest way to dispose of these items, please?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probably to take them to your local dump where they will have an electrical items section. Though for things the size of that I suspect a lot of people would throw them in the normal bin.
    You could go to a (fairly large) retailer that sells that kind of thing, and ask them to take care of it for you. I'm not entirely sure, but I think there's a law about that.

The usual sticking point is with batteries. The razor has a battery in it, and will usually be openable solely to take the battery out at the end of it's life. You could do that, give the battery to (say) a mobile phone shop (who always know how to dispose of batteries safely), and throw the rest of it away in the normal place.

Look for symbols on the casing which tell you not to throw it away...

ETA: if the battery has leaked, don't touch it or the goo, it's probably not very good for you.
    Loalc council refuse tip; they'll have a place to dispost of tuch things in an enviromentally friendlty way. :)

~drunken.