Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

TV Tax Extortion: "A bonus scheme that has no upper limit"

Linky.

You will need to work at least 20 prime-time hours a week [as these] are the most profitable times for an Enquiry Officer to work.

you will be driven by your desire to exceed set goals and targets

Your perseverance and flexibility will be rewarded with a basic salary plus a bonus scheme that has no upper limit.

This looks awfully like the BBC are sending tax collectors out with the sole intention of harassing as many people as possible. The more people you harass and bully, the more money you make. No limits to the amount of cash you can make from extortion!

And when they bully people into paying a TV Tax they don't need to pay, they go and whazz half a million quid on an advert for Scott "cunt" Mills and Chris "fat Featherstone reject cunt" Moyles.

Over to the usual BBC apologists to defend...

P.S. Mention the words "ITV", "quality" or "envy of the world" and you must go straight to jail. Do not pass go and do not collect £200.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Disgusting, really. They should be reported to trading standards along with bailiffs with no real power (i.e. the ones without a court order, but try to intimidate you into giving them stuff by mentioning 'potentially illegal').

Though I do disagree with you on the aspect the BBC is rubbish, I think it's quite good. The transmitters and local stations need to be funded, and that's where some of the licence goes. As for prime time TV, it goes a bit over my head so I just shrug.

I only watch stuff on iplayer anyway so get away without the licence :p
  • Options
    Yeah K, you can have this one I think - there's really no defence.

Once again, market logic applied to a non-market arena.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

This looks awfully like the BBC are sending tax collectors out with the sole intention of catching out tax evaders. The more people you harass and bully, the more morally repugnant tax evaders you get to cough up

I've corrected a couple of minor points for you.

You have a point about Capita though.
  • Options
    Nice to see Crapita keeping in touch with its New Labour roots.

Cunts.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Over to the usual BBC apologists to defend...

I pay my taxes, you pay your taxes. What exactly is your problem? It's not like they're going to be knocking on the doors and demanding money from those of us who actually contribute.

As has said before, the licence fee goes towards not only the TV programmes, but a huge amount of the national infrastructure. You'll find that ITV et al will piggy back onto publicly owned transmitters and recievers, equipment owned and paid for by the BBC and licence payers.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    As has said before, the licence fee goes towards not only the TV programmes, but a huge amount of the national infrastructure. You'll find that ITV et al will piggy back onto publicly owned transmitters and recievers, equipment owned and paid for by the BBC and licence payers.
    Not true. ITV plc, like all the public service broadcasters, has to pay an absolute fortune every single year just for the right to use these facilties in order to broadcast. The same applies for STV, UTV and Channel Television, the three companies that they don't control. Admittedly, ITV plc doesn't pay as much as it did back in the days when ITV was a collective of fiercely independent regional companies around the UK, but it still has to cough up every year.
  • Options
    I've corrected a couple of minor points for you.

You have a point about Capita though.

Yes, but I think that you just create another problem what you link performance to detections - as with the Police and clamping.
  • Options
    Yes, but I think that you just create another problem what you link performance to detections - as with the Police and clamping.
    Oh I don't agree with private companies, least of all Crapita, being in charge of such things. But Kermit couldn't just resist having a go at the BBC while he was at it and tried to portray licence fee dodgers as poor, oppressed, harassed victims of the evil BCC.

I was merely pointing out that they're not victims at all: they're offenders (or I suspect the correct term might actually be criminals) who deserve the same sympathy as any other cheat or tax evader would do.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I pay my taxes, you pay your taxes. What exactly is your problem? It's not like they're going to be knocking on the doors and demanding money from those of us who actually contribute

My point is that they do. They look at the electoral roll and people who aren't on the BBC database are contacted repeatedly. Some of these people may be watching TV illegally, but most won't be.

Their targets are based on catching as many people as possible. Getting an admission puts bread on the table, do you really think these people are going to worry too much about whether a person has to legally pay the TV tax?

You do not need a TV licence unless you watch live TV, either through an aerial or through iPlayer or the like. However if you look at the BBC literature this is completely ignored. I never used to watch live TV so didn't have to have a licence, but I was visited by TV tax collectors several times and received enough threatening letters to wallpaper my house.

And it is entirely proper to link Capita and the BBC. Capita are the contractors to the BBC, the BBC pay them to do their dirty work. The BBC are culpable in this just as much as Capita.

Stargalaxy is right. The TV tax only goes to the BBC. It doesn't get spent on national infrastructure or social inclusion from other network operators. And if you think it does you're deluded: look at how Thompson threw his toys out of the pram about the TV tax being used to pay for social programming across the spectrum.