Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being asked for money on rented property after deposit returned

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
My sister and her boyfriend rented a flat and left at the end of May this year. After around 6 or 7 weeks of arguing with the letting agents they finally had their deposit returned back a couple of weeks ago with a deduction for carpet damage. They've now recieved a letter from the letting agent demanding an extra amount to fund the cost of a new carpet due to "damage not previously spotted". Their contract doesnt mention either way about this either way and frankly the letting agents have proven themselves to be useless and rude.

Are the letting agents allowed to demand extra funds in this manner and is my sister under any obligation to pay them?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the letting agent didnt spot the damage, then its up to the landlord to have a word with them, or whoever did the inspection I imagine.
  • Options
    It sounds like they are trying to circumvent the tenancy deposit scheme, who act as arbritrators if there's a dispute. Hand the money back and then claim for extra damage, and the abritrator is cut out of the loop.

I wouldn't respond at all to them, if I were your sister. Their only option is to sue in the county court for the damage and your sister can defend it on the basis that the damage wasn't there when they left and wasn't indicated in the inspection. I doubt they'll take it to court.
  • Options
    My letting agency tried to con me out of a fair whack of my deposit saying they would need to get a professional cleaner in. On phoning the landlord, all he said was that he had told the letting agent, him and his mrs were going to take some cleaning stuff down and give it a quick once over, he know nothing of the letting agency trying to con me out of money.

I guess I have been lucky in regards to landlords, both ones I have had have been spot on.
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Kermit wrote: »
    It sounds like they are trying to circumvent the tenancy deposit scheme, who act as arbritrators if there's a dispute. Hand the money back and then claim for extra damage, and the abritrator is cut out of the loop.

A fine point, this is probably exactly what they are doing. I wouldn't worry about getting back to them if I were you - all dealings with them were officially ended on the days your lease ended and you got your deposit back. It's like them asking a stranger to give them money to fix the carpet, now!

Always worth checking your inventory though, if one was taken when you moved in.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Cheers peeps :)