Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Results of my smear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got my results tonight and there are "borderline changes" and I have to go for a colcoscopy. I'm not worried about the procedure, just what it means :(

Comments

• Options
    I find colposcopys easier than smears.

All that result means is that you've got some slight changes that they need to research more to be on the safe side. It's a pretty normal occurance and you'll just need checking again in six months as if they are minimal they like to give them chance to return to normal without any proceedures. I had borderline changes when in there for another problem. They did a biopsy and it turned out to be very minimal so not got to go back for another three years.

Good luck and try not to worry too much about the outcome x
  • Options
    Hey Lipsy,

As Carolina has said, Colposcopy's are very common procedures these days and are done as a precaution when 'borderline changes' occur. These changes can be caused by many things, even hormone change. Why not check out this NHS Direct link on Colposcopys and scroll along each tab for all the information.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on. :)
  • Options
    gosh this is SO weird cos today i was wondering when my smear results would come and i was thinking of asking you if you'd had yours because we had them on the same day! iv not heard anything yet though and it seems like ages since the test.

sorry nothing productive to add just hope everything goes okay hun. x
  • Options
    lipsy not to be weird about this but i got my smear test results today and i got the same letter?!?! but it says that it was 'abnormal' and that there were changes to some of the cells of my cervix that need investigating. so i have to have a colposcopy too. its a bit worrying though, i feel a bit upset.

how strange is that. x
  • Options
    the majority of colposcopies have normal results after, i had to have one and my last three smears have been normal :)
  • Options
    lipsy not to be weird about this but i got my smear test results today and i got the same letter?!?! but it says that it was 'abnormal' and that there were changes to some of the cells of my cervix that need investigating. so i have to have a colposcopy too. its a bit worrying though, i feel a bit upset.

how strange is that. x

Lol oh my god we are always doing this!
    Did your letter say anything about hpv?
    I went to speak to my doctor today and feel much better now. Basically if u had borderline changes they would just ask to retest every 6 months til finally they would decide to do a colposcopy. But now they teest u for hpv of which there are 2 high risk strains. If u have one of them then they ask u to come in for colposcopy and treat u for it there and then. U have another smear 6months later to make sure it's gone. So it's treatable, phew!

Try not to worry honestly it's not as bad as u first think x
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Lol oh my god we are always doing this!
    Did your letter say anything about hpv?
    I went to speak to my doctor today and feel much better now. Basically if u had borderline changes they would just ask to retest every 6 months til finally they would decide to do a colposcopy. But now they teest u for hpv of which there are 2 high risk strains. If u have one of them then they ask u to come in for colposcopy and treat u for it there and then. U have another smear 6months later to make sure it's gone. So it's treatable, phew!

Try not to worry honestly it's not as bad as u first think x

haha hmm no my letter didnt say anything about HPV. but iv read about it in the leaflet they sent me. it said they've detected 'severe dsykariosis' and i looked that up on wiki and got all scared about it so im not doing that again haha. what is HPV? is it a sexually transmitted disease or something you just have? im dead confused!

i spoke to a nurse today too and she reassured me too and made me feel a bit better. whens your colposcopy? imagine if we had it on the same day ;)
  • Options
    I believe dsykariosis is basically the technial term for "changes" that happen.

They'll do the same proceedure i'd imagine, colposcopy and probably a biopsy to see what's going on. Then if they need to do any treatment they'll decide which sort to use. Try not to worry too much.

HPV by the way is loads of different strains. Think one of them is linked to causing cancer if not spotted. One of the other ones leads to warts.

I think it's good that they're spending more time following these things up as it will put your mind at rest or catch things early.

Hope you both get on alright and don't stress too much (easier said than done sorry :blush:
  • Options
    Yes hpv is sexually transmitted and they are vaccinating young girls against it now. It's important to remember that u don't have cancer, just some cells have changed but they can treat it. It's only if it was left over years that it could turn to cancer. I don't know when my appt is yet. They're sending it out in the post to me x
  • Options
    i am boarderline changes...and i have to go back in six months for another smear test..am sure ther will be nothing to worry about other wise they would have had you in by now doing all the test straight away

hope it is all ok good luck