Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Armed Forces: economic conscription is here

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does that sound you're having a dig at those of us who are unemployed? Many of us have no choice.
    That. I'm trying...
  • Options
    I'm not sure whether I'm understanding you or not, but the job of soldiers isn't to second guess the democratically elected Government, but go where they're told. It is not for those with guns to make the decisions, but the politicians elected by voters. As a soldier you're a professional dealer of violence (and a professional reciever of it) - the job at the end of the day is to go to 'any old war'. It is is for others to decide on the legality of it...

Now you may say that there comes a time when as a professional soldier you're obligations as a human outweigh your obligations as a servant of a democratic state (for example an order to kill all the first borns*),

* an illegal order so under the British Army you're not supposed to follow it, but I couldn't think of any particular examples.

No quite, I agree with the above. I suppose I should give this some clarification - it depends essentially on when the decision to enlist is made.

For example: one chooses at a particular time to join up for all the reasons other posters have stated, and along comes a dodgy/reprehensible conflict like the Iraq War - in that case yes, you have to go where you are sent and it is up to the democractic portion of civil society to put its house in order (for what of a more nuanced phrase).

However; if you have someone who sees a conflict, knowing it to be a war of aggression, rather than defence of the nation, and still wants to go just because 'any old war will do' - the point and rationale for why they enter the service would be different from the above, and in my view utterly indefensible.

I have no idea about the prevalence of either example, and indeed I'd expect real world choices to be affected by many more factors than this controlled example - but nonetheless thats what I mean.
    but you have to be very careful about soldiers taking politics into their own hands because that's how democracy dies.

Well quite - and close to home too, with the heavy indication that there was a plot to overthrow Harold Wilson in 1974.

As an aside my experience of the US armed forces is that they are much more middle class and upper-working class than the British, so this idea of the US army being made up thick ghetto kids being tricked into dying for oil seems to be a product of a fevered Michael Moore's brain aided and abbetted by some rather warped and innaccurate old fashioned European xenophobia.

Well according to the US Army themselves, in a study looking at recruitment by socio-economic status, they concluded that the recruitment 'Mirrors or exceeds America' - whatever the last bit means:confused: There is a higher proportion of 18-24 year olds with 'some college' as of 2005.

Yet it is not this that has been in question - and I can't find any evidence at present on his archive that he's ever made a serious and sustained point of claiming a demographic shortage - maybe I've missed something.

What I can find, and has been a major issue in the last decade in the US, is evidence of incidents of questionable recruitment practices in the US, especially during the 2005 period when there was to be projected shortfall in recruitment.

There are a ton of articles on his site relating to 'Stop loss' - but they don't relate to social class as primary focus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-loss_policy

Which was also the product of another disasterous and unpopular conflict - Vietnam.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Micks?

:-/

Irish infantry, same as Jocks are the Scots and Taffs are the Welsh
  • Options

Well according to the US Army themselves, in a study looking at recruitment by socio-economic status, they concluded that the recruitment 'Mirrors or exceeds America' - whatever the last bit means:confused: There is a higher proportion of 18-24 year olds with 'some college' as of 2005.

Yet it is not this that has been in question - and I can't find any evidence at present on his archive that he's ever made a serious and sustained point of claiming a demographic shortage - maybe I've missed something..

I was assuming that Aladdin was referring to the bit in Michael Moore's Farenheit 9/11 when Moore hints that soliders are recruited only from the poorest areas
    What I can find, and has been a major issue in the last decade in the US, is evidence of incidents of questionable recruitment practices in the US, especially during the 2005 period when there was to be projected shortfall in recruitment.

There are a ton of articles on his site relating to 'Stop loss' - but they don't relate to social class as primary focus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-loss_policy

Which was also the product of another disasterous and unpopular conflict - Vietnam

Not that I know much about stop-loss, but it actually makes sense to me that you don't have troops leaving part way through a deployment. It also may be tough on those soldiers but it has hit about 1% of soldiers - so I'm not sure it could be classed as questionable recruitment practice
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with joining the army to pay the bills. I graduate at the end of this year at which point I'll likely sign up for the Marines. It will put my student loans on hold and give me the opportunity to pay down the principals.

The term economic conscription is a misnomer.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Man forced to join army due to lack of jobs

Economic conscription is something that has been going on in the US for decades (and often with the US army's full complicity, sending recruitment teams to deeply impoverished areas trying to lure unemployed young men).

Now it seems it has reached the UK.

Fair enough if someone wants to join the army as a first choice, but I find it a tad disturbing that some people now feel they have to join up to pay the bills...
    He made a choice to join, he wasn't forced. He ran his own business, so he's probably able to make an intelligent decision as to what is right for him.

Obviously, joining the army means something different to him, than it would do if you were in his position.

A lot of people are having to take jobs in this recession that they might not normally take.

That is, those who are lucky/able enough to get a job. Never mind people with disabilities, learning difficulties, ex-offenders, or refugees who are struggling just as, if not more than the majority..
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    A lot of people are having to take jobs in this recession that they might not normally take.
    True, but in most other jobs one does not have a distinct possibility of being killed, horribly maimed for life or mentally scarred for years.

Most other jobs don't carry a prison sentence either if one wants to quit before their contract is out.

As I said earlier if one wants to join the army, fine. But it's a decision that IMO should not be taken lightly, and should be given proper thought. I have to wonder how somebody who has chosen to join the army simply because they can't find a job is going to cope if he finds himself in the front line.
  • Options
    True, but in most other jobs one does not have a distinct possibility of being killed, horribly maimed for life or mentally scarred for years.

Most other jobs don't carry a prison sentence either if one wants to quit before their contract is out.

As I said earlier if one wants to join the army, fine. But it's a decision that IMO should not be taken lightly, and should be given proper thought. I have to wonder how somebody who has chosen to join the army simply because they can't find a job is going to cope if he finds himself in the front line.

The same way as any other soldier in the end; the bad ones will flee and the good ones will stick it for their mates. However, at the end of the day the British army remains that rarity - an long-term all volunteer force, where conscription has always been a last resort
  • Options

There are lots of jobs where you risk being killed or injured or ill... A lot of manual blue collar jobs can. I work with the unemployed and I have seen people with missing fingers from the jobs they have had.

No offense Aladdin, I find what you are saying is patronising towards people in a situation like that guy. I think if he can run his own business, he can make an intelligent and adult descision to join the military, even if the (patronising as Kermit describes, I share that view) article says he was 'forced'.

So far, nobody gets 'forced' in to the army... Let's not make victims of people who make their own choices. People do not enter the army thinking they are going to sit in fields of fluffy bunnies.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    So far, nobody gets 'forced' in to the army... Let's not make victims of people who make their own choices. People do not enter the army thinking they are going to sit in fields of fluffy bunnies.

I don't think it's 100% independent choice though, consider the amount the forces spend on marketing and recruiting. I'm not saying other careers don't do that, but there are definitely push and pull factors - they don't big up when you're going through the recruitment stages how you might get your leg blown off by an IED and such - they will try to normalise it and make it sound like any other job.

But I guess it depends on your perspective on things, plenty of people think smoking is a choice and some people think if you're addicted and if there's advertising then it's not a choice. Same with fatty foods leading to obesity. I think if anything is true, it's that people don't always make the best decisions, and I think just like the fast food industry, there is no reason the forces would not take advantage of this with regards to their marketing and their recruitment process.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think it's 100% independent choice though, consider the amount the forces spend on marketing and recruiting. I'm not saying other careers don't do that, but there are definitely push and pull factors - they don't big up when you're going through the recruitment stages how you might get your leg blown off by an IED and such - they will try to normalise it and make it sound like any other job.
    Well, yes, it is choice.

Of course they are not going to 'big up' the risks of going to war, but the media talks about it all the time. Look at the coverage of Afghanistan. It's not like people don't know that there is some risk with joining the army.

And the recruitment campaigns I have seen for the army don't make it seem like "any other job".